Football Thread 2019/2020

That's a great penalty.

I think it was a yellow rather than a red because of the double jeopardy thing.  It might have been interesting to see what would have happened if they had decided the foul was outside the box.

• Upvote 1

They've just said that if it was outside the box it would be a red. Didn't like Arteta doing the card gesture though.

A Chelsea win would mean Wolves get European football, is that right? 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

They've just said that if it was outside the box it would be a red. Didn't like Arteta doing the card gesture though.

I believe so, it also saves Spurs a couple of qualifying games.

Just now, Dudley said:

This game may hinge on which way David Luiz happens to be facing when he does something crazy.

Wasn't it always going to be that way?

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Yeah, second season running we’ve been waiting on the result of the cup final. 

Last season was a little more comfortable. 

The 3 stoppages sub rule is such bollocks because all it really does is fuck over teams with injuries.

Chelsea have effectively not only been forced to lose 2 first teamers but also 4 subs.

Starting to feel like there are some blind spots with regards to what are considered "game changing" decisions that VAR can look at. A second yellow can be game changing. A free kick awarded within shooting distance can be game changing. I guess no-one wants to slow down the game even further, but ideally the decisions would be being made more quickly, and then it wouldn't have so much of an impact.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Liamness said:

Starting to feel like there are some blind spots with regards to what are considered "game changing" decisions that VAR can look at. A second yellow can be game changing. A free kick awarded within shooting distance can be game changing. I guess no-one wants to slow down the game even further, but ideally the decisions would be being made more quickly, and then it wouldn't have so much of an impact.

How about a goalkeeper running down the pitch holding the ball?

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Oh come on that's not even a foul, he caught the ball and not the bloke at all.

The red card decision? I thought it was a foul but a yellow card seemed harsh. 

2 minutes ago, Liamness said:

And to be fair to the ref from one angle in real time it looked iffy.

If that's the angle he saw you can't blame him. 

40 minutes ago, wev said:

Does Danny Murphy offer anything as a co-commentator?

He used to play for Liverpool so I think he’s legally entitled to an easy job in the media post retirement.  

• Upvote 5

Ugh.

Some days literally everything just goes against you.  Losing 4 players through sheer accident, one of which is also the winning goal against you is just something that happens.

Shame for Pedro, he wasn't even supposed to be in the squad and now he ends his chelsea career with a dislocated shoulder rather than a nice run out in a 2-0 win.

7 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

He used to play for Liverpool so I think he’s legally entitled to an easy job in the media post retirement.  

He doesn't like Liverpool, he's proper bitter he got sold.