rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

20 hours ago, deerokus said:

No one was looking for that much. £25m would do it. They apparently can't afford the £5m difference to get the player they've spent the whole summer chasing, which is pathetic. 

I hate to bring up John McGinn, but...

• Upvote 1

Just now, bradigor said:

Is Russell Crowe a Leeds fan?

Yep, since he was a kid. He was even pondering investing a few years ago although I don't know if he was serious. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

Yep, since he was a kid. He was even pondering investing a few years ago although I don't know if he was serious. 

He owns a sizeable chunk (~38%) of the South Sydney Rabbitohs Rugby League team, so he may well have been serious.

Villa currently trouncing Walsall in pre season. I don't think Manchester City have beaten Walsall in 20+ years so I can only conclude we are going to win the Premier League next season. 

• Upvote 1

I think Villa will do pretty well, comfortably mid table. I think a lot of lazy journalists compare them to Fulham with the amount they've spent but I think they've put a lot more thought into who they've bought. 

17 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

I think Villa will do pretty well, comfortably mid table. I think a lot of lazy journalists compare them to Fulham with the amount they've spent but I think they've put a lot more thought into who they've bought. 

They’re no Fulham and I think they’ll stay up, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them bottom six. I don’t expect a comfortable mid table season for them personally. 

Takashi Inui has returned to Eibar after a less than stellar season with Betis. 

An altogether unexciting move and totally expected, he was a great success at Eibar. However I'm mentioning it because of the vitriol aimed at him from the same Betis fans that welcomed him to the club, on a free no less. 

They attacked him for being apparently shite and just picking up money. Despite them getting him on a free, playing him 8 times out of position and then loaning him to Alaves where he did much better. 

They have now sold him back to Eibar and made a tidy profit.

This is a tribal nature of so many. It's not even about understanding the game. Sorry for ranting. 

10 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

That would be a good season for us. I think we could play a lot of pretty but ineffective football next season, we were tight at the back at the end of last year, I think from February onwards we only conceded more than once in a game when we fielded the reserves in a dead rubber against Norwich on the final day. The problem for us will be scoring goals I think. There's a lot of pressure on Wesley to do well, he's looking like the falcrum of the team. He needs to hit double figures and it's looking like he'll drop deep to facilitate the midfield running beyond him into the box. We might share the goals round next season but it's all gambling on unproven talent.  I'd take 17th if you offered it.  

• Upvote 2

Aye. Though I'm not sure Tammy would be prolific in the Premier League with the team we've got at the minute. He'll do better at Chelsea because he's surrounded by better players but even if he plays regularly there I'd be surprised to see him get 15 goals.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

On a recent episode of TFS, Michael Cox (I think) was saying Fulham were an exception; five of the six promoted teams that have spent in excess of £100m have then stayed up.

Palace sign Jordan Ayew for £2.5m, that's £1.25m for every goal he scored last year in 25 appearances (one of which was against Grimsby), it's good value for a 4th choice striker/back-up winger, but isn't reasssuring anyone that there will be the much needed hige end striker and centre back we are despparate for.

Talk of a £8m bid for perenial crock James McCarthy feels me with dread.

9 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Kolasinac chasing after knife-wielding scooter muggers and punching their crash helmets is very on-brand.

Ozil being invisible and refusing to track back to help defend is also about right. 

• Upvote 4

Crusaders defended so well last night, they kept their shape all through the game, and while they offered virtually nothing going forward, had it finished 1-0 I’d have been concerned for the away leg. 

So good to be back. 

B80503AE-F0D6-4A8F-9176-956549A7A698.jpeg

398C292C-EFE0-40E6-95CD-6B1722745C7D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

No need for concern whatsoever even if it finished 1-0.  If they come to attack us in the 2nd leg, we'll destroy them.  

I did think that too, but you never know.

anyway, it’ll be fine. Hopefully we have a bit more sharpness for the following round 

19 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I did think that too, but you never know.

anyway, it’ll be fine. Hopefully we have a bit more sharpness for the following round 

We looked sharp against Newcastle and had far fewer chances - just one of those things.  I don't think we'll see such negative tactics again this season (unless Brighton do what they did last season...). 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

We looked sharp against Newcastle and had far fewer chances - just one of those things.  I don't think we'll see such negative tactics again this season (unless Brighton do what they did last season...). 

Yeah, either Crusaders are better than Newcastle or Wolverhampton is hotter than China. 

Actually Crues defended better than Newcastle I think, but then again, Newcastle were actually trying to score. 

• Upvote 1