rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

11 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Congratulations on winning the least shit at taking penalties asia cup

It’s not a proper trophy held in high regard like the Emirates cup is.

I dunno, Man City would add it to their honours list if they won it. 

• Upvote 2

I don’t want to take away from the victory, but that trophy looks like the cup my school footy team won 25 years ago. You think they could have come up with something a bit swankier. 

Player who didn't get picked under Rafa happy that a new manager has arrived.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49056793

"He is a lot different to Rafa," Shelvey told Sky Sports.

"With Rafa, you never knew what he was thinking. Personally, I would rather have someone who talks to you and you know what they are thinking."

Knowing Shelvey I expect he'll have fallen out with Bruce before Christmas.

Look at the state of the Newcastle kit on the pre season tour as well.

newcastle.jpg.677eed4379e179dbe07f82bf0f2f46bf.jpg

Nice to see Muto score though. He's a very talented forward but not a lone striker. Used in the right way, 10 goals for him is achievable. 

Takefusa Kubo made a superb Real debut last night. There is talk of him being in the main squad. His composure on the ball is absolutely remarkable and his vision and touch excellent. Marca rated him the best Real player last night, admittedly not a high bar as of yet. 

• Upvote 1

Fucking hell. Just curious, what was the build up to that? Not defending the aggressor but it's a mental tackle to make. In addition to the first guy having a nibble it almost seems like the sort of thing players do when young kids start showboating? Of course I didn't watch the match so could be way off.

Arsenal may finally be giving up on thtier their pathetic lowballing for Tierney. Laughable for such a big club acting like a ned wanting spare change. 

7 hours ago, deerokus said:

Arsenal may finally be giving up on thtier their pathetic lowballing for Tierney. Laughable for such a big club acting like a ned wanting spare change. 

https://www.football365.com/news/arsenals-tierney-bid-a-symptom-of-anti-scottish-bigotry somebody in F365 agrees with you.

Football transfers aren't about worth though, they are about paying what is necessary to get your target released by the club they are at - I don't see a queue of suitors for Tierney waving £45-50m fees for him, you simply don't have to pay Scottish clubs that much money unless you got involved in a bidding war for a hot property (which hasn't happened) - even VVD needed the stamp of approval time at Southampton gave him to get Liverpool to stump up.

Maybe it's a great undiscovered Moneyball thing that Scottish players are undervalued in the transfer market, or maybe not.

• Upvote 1

Isn’t Tierney’s hip utterly fucked? He’s an injury prone timebomb. Not even Arsenal would be stupid enough to pay the full £25m up front. 

Looking at it from our perspective, I’d much rather Celtic hold onto a guy who’s likely to miss a third of all games rather than get a £25m windfall to reinvest. I’m glad he’s staying.

• Upvote 1

Kris Boyd scored 18 goals in the league in 2017/18. So you can imagine its hard to have parity of who is worth what if that can happen.

I mean you look at the players moving into the Scottish league and they are League one and Championship players mainly. As frustrating as it must be, is that not about the level?

And you don't often see a player from the Championship going for £25M, never-mind a full back. I think the championship record for a player who is leaving directly after a season in the championship, (not a team just relegated) is £18m for Adama Traore from Middlesbrough to Wolves (And even then he had already had 2 seasons in the premier league previously). If Wan-Bissaka had a very good season in the championship, he wouldnt have been worth £50M and you have to factor in the price increase because, United.

Che Adams and Ben James are the biggest transfer movers from the Championship to Premier League so far this season and they went for £15M each.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Steely said:

Kris Boyd scored 18 goals in the league in 2017/18. So you can imagine its hard to have parity of who is worth what if that can happen.

I mean you look at the players moving into the Scottish league and they are League one and Championship players mainly. As frustrating as it must be, is that not about the level?

And you don't often see a player from the Championship going for £25M, never-mind a full back. I think the championship record for a player who is leaving directly after a season in the championship, (not a team just relegated) is £18m for Adama Traore from Middlesbrough to Wolves (And even then he had already had 2 seasons in the premier league previously). If Wan-Bissaka had a very good season in the championship, he wouldnt have been worth £50M and you have to factor in the price increase because, United.

Che Adams and Ben James are the biggest transfer movers from the Championship to Premier League so far this season and they went for £15M each.

Wasn't James Maddison around £20m when he moved to Leicester? (Worth it btw - cracking player)

24 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Happy we avoided Rangers in the draw yesterday. 

Are you going on Thursday?

My son and I are in the BW Upper - a lifelong dream of seeing Wolves in Europe is about to come true.  I can't wait!  Sold out too.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Wasn't James Maddison around £20m when he moved to Leicester? (Worth it btw - cracking player)

You are dead right! Had my Boro blinkers on. All I could see was Adama. :lol:

Screenshot_20190723_113913.thumb.jpg.22fbed4dc06a42362acdd410e055a7c4.jpg

• Upvote 1

Believe the top 3 on that list were all picked up immediately after a relegation, hence the higher fees

Maddison was a ballsy shout by Leicester I thought at time but lived up to that price tag (and beyond) in first season.

Aside from Ruben Neves, Maddison was the best player in the Championship that season.  But annoyingly, both were beaten to the POTS award by Ryan Sessegnon (18 years old) which still annoys me because if he wasn't British and wasn't only 18 years old, he wouldn't have won it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Aside from Ruben Neves, Maddison was the best player in the Championship that season.  But annoyingly, both were beaten to the POTS award by Ryan Sessegnon (18 years old) which still annoys me because if he wasn't British and wasn't only 18 years old, he wouldn't have won it.

Da26c_5XUAEcuX8.jpg

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Are you going on Thursday?

My son and I are in the BW Upper - a lifelong dream of seeing Wolves in Europe is about to come true.  I can't wait!  Sold out too.

Yes mate, travelling to Wolves tomorrow evening, then probably look for a beer garden about 3pm on Thursday then onto the newly railed up South Bank. Cannot wait!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

https://www.football365.com/news/arsenals-tierney-bid-a-symptom-of-anti-scottish-bigotry somebody in F365 agrees with you.

Football transfers aren't about worth though, they are about paying what is necessary to get your target released by the club they are at - I don't see a queue of suitors for Tierney waving £45-50m fees for him, you simply don't have to pay Scottish clubs that much money unless you got involved in a bidding war for a hot property (which hasn't happened) - even VVD needed the stamp of approval time at Southampton gave him to get Liverpool to stump up.

Maybe it's a great undiscovered Moneyball thing that Scottish players are undervalued in the transfer market, or maybe not.

No one was looking for that much. £25m would do it. They apparently can't afford the £5m difference to get the player they've spent the whole summer chasing, which is pathetic. 

£5m is a hell of a lot of money to be discussing - plus its often not just the fee, but the structure of the payments, what triggers them etc. You wouldn't want a £25m 'fee' if £10m of that was triggered by Arsenal winning the league or champions league (or winning anything for that matter).

Its very rare a club slaps down the full amount in one go - unless paying Spanish buyout fees, which you have to pay to the league who give to the club (and I read the other day are often subject to tax on top of the published release clause !)

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

DEFF82A6-E3DA-4C40-9D68-8ED33EE231C2.jpeg

To be fair, assembling the largest collection of wall and floor tiles in the UK deserves a good size trophy.

• Upvote 1