Jump to content
rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Recommended Posts

We'll take OGS if we can have his budget too.  Manchester United needed a midfielder in January, they get one of the best players in the world. Villa need a midfielder in January and somehow Danny Drinkwater is the answer.  

 

Villa are on the brink right now.  7 points from safety (West Ham and Watford) with a game in hand has left us needing snookers, however West Ham still have to play Watford which means someone has to drop points there, and we've got to play West Ham. if we win our game in hand and beat West Ham it's only a one point swing over two games.  The thing is it seems the club have decided to go down with a whimper and that is what is unforgivable. We've not really recovered from losing Wesley and Heaton for the season in that Burnley game, we can't score goals and the fit goalkeepers we do have at the club scare the shit out of the defence but there just appears to be a lack of urgency from everyone. Palace visit today, they've lost four in a row and we need to win this game to even stand an outside chance.  What odds we lose to nil? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the point of Everton? Spend loads of money and move the ball about like a geriatric Accrington. Worse than a Portuguese domestic side.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plissken said:

First ever team to win 4 in a row by 3 goals?  Three of them were Villa, Bournemouth and Brighton!

 

 

I don't really care about the winning 4 in a row by 3 goals stat but it looks like you're suggesting no other team has ever had a run of "easy" fixtures like that before.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Everton definitely don’t look bothered today


They look like they came for a 0-0 and are particularly determined to keep either side from playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sirloin said:


They look like they came for a 0-0 and are particularly determined to keep either side from playing.

Yeah, I think they just know their season is over, would be better to see them just go for it in that situation though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plissken said:

He's been there a year and a bit.  He's on a streak like he was when he joined.  First ever team to win 4 in a row by 3 goals?  Three of them were Villa, Bournemouth and Brighton!

 

As said a few months ago back here - how far do yo go down the Premier League before you find a club willing got swap their current manager for OGS?  Not Watford.  Or Palace.  Probably not West Ham.  Would Norwich? Personally, I doubt even that.

 

Arsenal if he’d played for them?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spork said:

I don't really care about the winning 4 in a row by 3 goals stat but it looks like you're suggesting no other team has ever had a run of "easy" fixtures like that before.


I’m just saying that I wouldn’t be hailing the guy as a managerial genius for putting goals past them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

What is the point of Everton? Spend loads of money and move the ball about like a geriatric Accrington. Worse than a Portuguese domestic side.


It’s a club that’s coasting. Full of good players who are allowed to coast.

 

My biggest fear is someone at Everton getting a clue and bringing Dyche in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plissken said:

As said a few months ago back here - how far do yo go down the Premier League before you find a club willing got swap their current manager for OGS?  Not Watford.  Or Palace.  Probably not West Ham.  Would Norwich? Personally, I doubt even that.

 

Perhaps not, but the reverse is also true. How many current managers in the Premier League would United be willing to swap Ole for? Pep and Klopp, and that's probably it. There are some very good managers elsewhere in the league, but it's not clear they'd actually do any better than the results Solskjaer's been getting. So why swap?

 

I think he's done a decent job. At United, he's being held to a high standard, but he's not flunking it like Moyes did, and they're playing better football than under Van Gaal or Mourinho even if they haven't yet lifted the trophies. They're favourites for the Europa League, and have an FA Cup semi-final, and after yesterday's Chelsea loss are probably the favourites now to finish third behind the big two.

 

Expecting more than that in his first full season would seem fanciful.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like that technically Wolves scored their first in the 47th minute and then doubled their lead in the 46th.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Villa are on the brink right now...

What odds we lose to nil? 


Massively  high I would say when you look at the line up again. 
 

Benteke is starting for Palace so he will of course suddenly look like he did when he played for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s the second time Pickford has somehow managed to avoid dropping it into his own net in the last two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

Perhaps not, but the reverse is also true. How many current managers in the Premier League would United be willing to swap Ole for? Pep and Klopp, and that's probably it. There are some very good managers elsewhere in the league, but it's not clear they'd actually do any better than the results Solskjaer's been getting. So why swap?

 

I think he's done a decent job. At United, he's being held to a high standard, but he's not flunking it like Moyes did, and they're playing better football than under Van Gaal or Mourinho even if they haven't yet lifted the trophies. They're favourites for the Europa League, and have an FA Cup semi-final, and after yesterday's Chelsea loss are probably the favourites now to finish third behind the big two.

 

Expecting more than that in his first full season would seem fanciful.

 

The lack of other decent managers in the PL is probably the PL's problem rather than anything else. But I would bet cash money that Dyche, NES, Rodgers would definitely do a better job, and that's even while thinking Rodgers is a spoofer.  I'd probably put Wilder and Potter in there as well (I like Potter.)  Since the restart, he's 4-1-0, having beaten Villa, Bournemouth, Brighton and Norwich.  Drew against Spurs.

 

This is the best that he's going to do.  Remember how toxic things were at the end of January?  Is OGS the man to sort the club out or is it going to be a case of just doing good enough?

  • Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Plissken said:

 

 But I would bet cash money that Dyche, NES, Rodgers would definitely do a better job, and that's even while thinking Rodgers is a spoofer.  I'd probably put Wilder and Potter in there as well (I like Potter.) 

 

:lol: 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BabelRich said:


Massively  high I would say when you look at the line up again. 
 

Benteke is starting for Palace so he will of course suddenly look like he did when he played for us. 

 

I really think you've got no worries on the Benteke front in terms of goals, he still offers something to the team but he's not magically going to find goalscoring form.

 

I think you'll have a decent chance to pick up 3 points against us, we've had one half decent performance out of the last 4 and that was against a Chelsea side that even West Ham beat.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(I'd also quite enjoy a final game of the season relegation decider between you and West Ham)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Plissken said:

 

The lack of other decent managers in the PL is probably the PL's problem rather than anything else. But I would bet cash money that Dyche, NES, Rodgers would definitely do a better job, and that's even while thinking Rodgers is a spoofer.  I'd probably put Wilder and Potter in there as well (I like Potter.)

 

There's little to base this on for many of the options. Dyche and Wilder could be just pre-United David Moyes, getting good results with more limited sides but not really cut out for managing a side asked to go out and dominate possession. Nuno and then Rodgers are the two best bets, the latter deserves a shot with a top club (though I'd personally prefer if he just turned Wolves into one) and Rodgers has done a good job with Leicester and has the Liverpool near miss in his hat. 

 

The rest? It's just hope. Until we've seen them manage a team with top tier expectations, I don't think there's enough to say they could do a better job. 

 

Quote

 

This is the best that he's going to do.  Remember how toxic things were at the end of January?  Is OGS the man to sort the club out or is it going to be a case of just doing good enough?

 

I think he has earned the right to a few seasons before yet another swing of the axe, as long as he's delivering Champions League qualification. Few managers can really be parachuted into a club and turn things around instantly. Even Pep took two years to win the league with a Man City side with infinite pockets, finishing 15 points behind Chelsea and eight behind Spurs in his first season.

 

I don't expect Solskjaer to be the next Pep. But I do believe we don't live in a world of absolute certainty, and that switching Solskjaer now for anyone other than a very elite few would be an act of hope more than anything else. May as well just place your hope in the incumbent, it's not as if United are stinking the place up at the moment.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think Dyche is best off just trying to become the new Dario Gradi.

 

Just needs a eurodance act called SeanD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week in week out, they do not have a clue. How many replays do they need and still get it wrong. Where do they actually think your shoulders are? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hercules said:

Week in week out, they do not have a clue. How many replays do they need and still get it wrong. Where do they actually think your shoulders are? 

 

And you just know that if that part of his body was offside it'd be called as being part of the body that can play the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

 

And you just know that if that part of his body was offside it'd be called as being part of the body that can play the ball.

At this point I reckon my partner, who has no interest in football or the rules, would get more decisions right than these bunch of jokers. Best league in he world with Sunday league officials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palace have been shite just as we have been for a large chunk of the season, I can't wait for Roy's post game presser which will ignore the dreadful passing and the fact that he's playing three DM's against a Villa team that's shipping in the goals this season.

 

Expect a substitution around the 80th minute where he brings on James McCarthy for James McArthur, to ensure the blandness continues (and to mildly confuse the commentators)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

Expect a substitution around the 80th minute where he brings on James McCarthy for James McArthur, to ensure the blandness continues (and to mildly confuse the commentators)

 

It's happened early! (James McArthur is injured)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's Grealish standing on Van Arnholt surely?

 

He stops with his foot on the ball, then stretches his foot out, looks like he was trying to draw out the penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.