rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

When teams get relegated they should be forced to dance in front of a banner reading "We're going down".

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

When teams get relegated they should be forced to dance in front of a banner reading "We're going down".

good idea, if the cringe inducing insincere ‘guard of honour’ is now a thing for the winners then the relegated should do a walk of shame with the opponents ringing bells and shouting ‘shame’ at them, Cersei from GoT style.

• Upvote 7

Losing to Sheffield United shows just how far Chelsea have fallen. That's right isn't it @dizogg?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Fat Frankie. :bye:

Glorified PE teacher :omg:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Fat Frankie. :bye:

4 minutes ago, spork said:

Glorified PE teacher :omg:

71tyG0lSKDL.thumb.jpg.2d08849b79e2bd32440a5ae454460247.jpg

That's Lamps with his ball on a weird "thing".

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

good idea, if the cringe inducing insincere ‘guard of honour’ is now a thing for the winners then the relegated should do a walk of shame with the opponents ringing bells and shouting ‘shame’ at them, Cersei from GoT style.

I can't believe Burnley did a guard of honour (aka corridor of applause) for Liverpool today.  How many of them do they want?  The whole concept is ridiculous anyway, but in the past teams have just got one and that's it.  Who's insisting it carries on?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I can't believe Burnley did a guard of honour (aka corridor of applause) for Liverpool today.  How many of them do they want?  The whole concept is ridiculous anyway, but in the past teams have just got one and that's it.  Who's insisting it carries on?

It is rather embarrassing, yeah, and I can't imagine the players are fussed about it either.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, spork said:

Losing to Sheffield United shows just how far Chelsea have fallen. That's right isn't it @dizogg?

Erm... yeah, it does.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Nope, City when they won couple of seasons ago got one every game afterwards.

You won’t have seen it happen as often because no team has ever won the league with 7 games left. Suck it up :)

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

17 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Think they get one guard of honour for every year since their last league title.

:coffee:

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

It won't be us. But I agree, it should be one and done (at most two, if you are away then home)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dizogg said:

You won’t have seen it happen as often because no team has ever won the league with 7 games left. Suck it up :)

Did they?  Well that was ridiculous as well.  Who on Earth wants it to happen?  The Liverpool players look embarassed, and the opposition look annoyed.  It's actually starting to look sarcastic.  

We should do away with them now.  They served their purpose when John Terry was forced to applaud Dong Fangzhou onto the pitch.  It can't get any better than that, so lets retire the concept for next season.

48 minutes ago, dizogg said:

You're the most Liverpool Scouser ever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

European trips were getting a bit expensive anyway. 

Whoa whoa whoa, what's with this negative mindset?! Still think we'll make the top 6. Have a bit of faith!

21 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Whoa whoa whoa, what's with this negative mindset?! Still think we'll make the top 6. Have a bit of faith!

Top six? I don’t see it personally. I’d take seventh if offered now. Hope you’re right though. 

At least if Man Utd get CL they’ll keep their League 1 manager? , I know they’re doing well at the moment but they’re like Audley Harrison in the early 2000s 

• Empathy 3

Why are you picking on Audley Harrison? He's never hurt anyone!

©2002

Exactly. They’re doing well because they got good players, not because OGS has worked out how to be a decent manager.

City 4-0 up and bring Zinchenko, Foden and David Silva on.

The future of Premier League football right there.

• Upvote 1

The five subs rule is really going to help City next season, their squad depth is unreal. Watford winning today means the bottom three are locked for me, I wonder if Howe will stay with Bournemouth for their inevitable descent to League 1. 

This City team is insane. Yet Liverpool still wiped the floor with them. Football eh. 

41 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

At least if Man Utd get CL they’ll keep their League 1 manager? , I know they’re doing well at the moment but they’re like Audley Harrison in the early 2000s 

:lol:

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

Exactly. They’re doing well because they got good players, not because OGS has worked out how to be a decent manager.

Almost like OGS had a vision for the type of players he wanted to bring in and the type of squad he wanted to put together?

United have brought in plenty of good players since Fergie retired and still often played like shit or had unbalanced teams. Claiming the current manager should take no credit for shaping the team is a bit much. If it was as simple as just buying good players there wouldn't have been so many failed United squads recently.

• Upvote 3

I can’t work out if Utd post lockdown are the real deal coming together (which based on results alone I’d suspect) or just flat track bullies beating up lesser teams in games played at testimonial pace with no nasty crowds shouting at them.

Even Pogba is confused about it as fancies staying, though that could be his agents phone not exactly ringing off the hook with £250k a week offers.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I can’t work out if Utd post lockdown are the real deal coming together (which based on results alone I’d suspect) or just flat track bullies beating up lesser teams in games played at testimonial pace with no nasty crowds shouting at them.

Even Pogba is confused about it as fancies staying, though that could be his agents phone not exactly ringing off the hook with £250k a week offers.

hard to tell. A run in featuring Sheffield United immediately after lockdown (so who’s done the most work on the training pitch) followed by the bottom six clubs, then Leicester, doesn’t tell you much.

34 minutes ago, footle said:

hard to tell. A run in featuring Sheffield United immediately after lockdown (so who’s done the most work on the training pitch) followed by the bottom six clubs, then Leicester, doesn’t tell you much.

Isn't doing more work on the training pitch a sign of good manager? It's not just about what goes on for 90 minutes when the team is in the pitch.

These bottom of the league type clubs were exactly the sort of teams we were struggling against before as they sat back nullifying our main threat (pacy counter attacking) and a midfield consisting of Lingard and Pereira as our creative outlets just wasn't good enough to break them down. 

If you want to see how we've faired against the other big teams and so called elite managers then you can look at our results since from when Ole took over until just before lockdown. I think these show our glorified PE teacher in a fairly favourable light! 

You've also got to give him credit for a lot of other things that have improved since he took over. We're finally playing with some sort of identity, we're making the right moves in the transfer market with both buying and selling, he's got Pogba probably playing the most consistently good football since we re-signed him, he's not afraid to give the youth players a chance and has already found two teenagers who already look good enough to pretty much slot into the first team (Greenwood and Brandon Williams), he's also improved the likes of Martial and Rashford who are now looking like much more complete all around players.

Sure, we probably won't be expecting to win the league next season and we could well be beaten by Southampton (whose away form this season has been comparable to the top teams) on Monday but we are building something promising right now. I know it's always fun to shit on Man United but to say Ole is crap or not good enough seems pretty ignorant at this point.

• Upvote 5

thats why I posed it as a question @spork, I really don't know what to make of teams form in general in this restart. its a decent looking group of talent that I suspect is enjoying the restart pace and lack of atmosphere somewhat.

it appears that creatively things are definitely moving in the right direction, but again that's hard to judge as the block/press you mention Utd struggling with previously is less prevalent with teams finding their fitness again after lockdown.

still I'd be content right now as a Utd fan, first team ever to win 4 in a row in the PL by a margin of 3 of more and more money than most to reinforce in what is likely to be a depressed transfer market - couple of good robust signings and you could be back

He's been there a year and a bit.  He's on a streak like he was when he joined.  First ever team to win 4 in a row by 3 goals?  Three of them were Villa, Bournemouth and Brighton!

As said a few months ago back here - how far do yo go down the Premier League before you find a club willing got swap their current manager for OGS?  Not Watford.  Or Palace.  Probably not West Ham.  Would Norwich? Personally, I doubt even that.

• Upvote 1