rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Really intrigued to see how Killie do in general this season, but that result is lolsome tonight, particularly given their scenes when they clinched qualification for this stage that they’ve just utterly fucked.

1 hour ago, Loik V credern said:

Barcelona reportedly offer £90m plus choice of 2 of 6 players, Dembele and Coutinho included in the six. lolwut. that doesn't sound right.

I suspect they've got a Tier 1 and Tier 2 and you can have one from each. I suspect they've faxed a Venn diagram with their bid to PSG.

3 hours ago, bear said:

Laurens and Gab Marrcotti are going to be doing a weekly podcast for ESPN next season so I doubt either will be contributing much to any of the Totally Football shows. 

Fan-bloody-tastic :)

This is quite interesting thread about how many people watch live premier league games (and how they do it) both in UK and globally

As he states there is something to look into with regard the number of subscribers vs the number of viewers typically, and what that means.

My guess is that with so many games shown and so many of those being the smaller teams that drives the average down, and most subscribers are concentrated for a few big teams whose matches get the bigger audiences - but in most territories you have to sub to a monthly package that includes all matches. 

I don't appear in those stats and I watch football.

Because I'd have to subscribe to 3 separate services to legally watch all this season's matches and it still wouldn't be most of this season's matches because I still can't watch Saturday 3pms. And generally you can't watch them delayed or catch up either.

The sport is fine, the TV product is shit. 

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

This is quite interesting thread about how many people watch live premier league games (and how they do it) both in UK and globally

As he states there is something to look into with regard the number of subscribers vs the number of viewers typically, and what that means.

My guess is that with so many games shown and so many of those being the smaller teams that drives the average down, and most subscribers are concentrated for a few big teams whose matches get the bigger audiences - but in most territories you have to sub to a monthly package that includes all matches. 

Yeah for every Liverpool v Man City you've got dozens of Burnley vs Huddersfields, so the stat is a little misleading.

But in further twitter exchanges he said the top games get 'low 10s of millions globally' - its a fascinating exercise in marketing and public perception as the money being paid by people globally to watch football just doesn't match the actual people watching most of it.

He suggested a much lower cost team or match based sub could possibly generate loads more income than current deals - but who wants to risk or rock that boat when its the richest league in the world with the top TV deals globally.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

But in further twitter exchanges he said the top games get 'low 10s of millions globally' - its a fascinating exercise in marketing and public perception as the money being paid by people globally to watch football just doesn't match the actual people watching most of it.

He suggested a much lower cost team or match based sub could possibly generate loads more income than current deals - but who wants to risk or rock that boat when its the richest league in the world with the top TV deals globally.

Essentially had that living in a region where every game across competitions my team is in is shown live. Would much rather pay direct to the club for the same back in the UK but like you say, isn’t likely to happen.

Viewing stats make sense when you think about the timezones most games are available in. Asia is touted as this huge market but hardly any games are shown at a sociable time.

Europe is best positioned to watch the English league but they’ve got their own football. The US is better placed for later games but football is rarely, if ever, going to surpass the NFL or their other big TV draws. Imagine college sports exceed football quite easily.

One of the issues with the current system is the fact clubs with a small, local support like Bournemouth get insane millions in TV money just for sharing a league with teams with global appeal - completely distorts the market for every other league.

• Downvote 2

Would you rather those insane millions were given to six clubs and the other 12 be left unable to compete?

You know, how La Liga works.

• Upvote 8

23 minutes ago, deerokus said:

One of the issues with the current system is the fact clubs with a small, local support like Bournemouth get insane millions in TV money just for sharing a league with teams with global appeal - completely distorts the market for every other league.

On the flip side collective bargaining is why the Premier League is where it is today.  Periodically you will get a handful of people who decide they want to pull the ladder up behind them, and I'm sure they will make a lot of money in the short to medium term but all they will do is hasten the move a dominant European Super League or further increase the rise of MLS. While I'd laugh like a drain when clubs who are currently 3rd/4th/5th in terms of financial muscle right now end up becoming mid table also rans in whatever comes next  I'd rather Bournemouth get the money they've earned by being promoted if it's all the same. 

• Upvote 1

The fact that all Prem games are shown outside of the UK has got to increase people illegally streaming where they might have paid for a sub. In fact, even if you are paying for all the packages, then you'd still be likely to illegally stream to watch games of your team that aren't being shown in the UK.

I'm sure we are not far off 10 different time slots a week-end every week-end for Prem games if they can cram it in with perhaps 1 not being televised at 3pm and then they'll argue that 1 game being shown at 3pm won't impact lower league football and that will be that.

For Cardiff last year - I think we were on TV at home 7 or 8 times, but only once away so where is the incentive for a season ticket holder to pay for a sub to watch a single game in their own home when you could stream all of the away games without too much effort.

If Barca pick up Neymar in this window. How the fuck can that attack with Coutinho/Rakatic/Sergio/De Jong behind, NOT win everything. 

Saying that, Liverpool would probably smash them 5-0. 

Neymar will be injured half the time and Coutinho will end up at PSG. And as long as their only game plan is to pass it to Messi and hope for the best they’ll keep getting shown up in Europe.

2 hours ago, Seanfl9 said:

If Barca pick up Neymar in this window. How the fuck can that attack with Coutinho/Rakatic/Sergio/De Jong behind, NOT win everything. 

Saying that, Liverpool would probably smash them 5-0. 

Bring them on. Again :wub:

5 hours ago, Plissken said:

Would you rather those insane millions were given to six clubs and the other 12 be left unable to compete?

You know, how La Liga works.

Yes, if it means teams like Celtic, Ajax etc aren't being outspent by small clubs financially doped by sky. 

• Downvote 1

Yeah, Andy Morrison was a legend with us as well even though he barely played a season's worth of games due to injury troubles. Same at Man City I think.

One of the hardest players I've ever seen and couldn't half twat a free kick.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

So they just get outspent by clubs financially doped by petro-states, hedge funds and leveraged buyouts instead?

That happens already. We aren't competing with them for players. 

50 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Yeah, Andy Morrison was a legend with us as well even though he barely played a season's worth of games due to injury troubles. Same at Man City I think.

One of the hardest players I've ever seen and couldn't half twat a free kick.

I played Sunday League with one of the bouncers who almost killed him. You have to read his book (Jock's) to understand that. He took an hour long beating and still survived. That's why he left our club. He was a lunatic but a great player who squandered his career through violence and alcohol abuse. 

12 hours ago, Seanfl9 said:

Ernesto Valverde.

5 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

We've won a trophy!!! 

Congratulations on winning the least shit at taking penalties asia cup

It’s not a proper trophy held in high regard like the Emirates cup is.