Football Thread 2019/2020

If Dyche can do this with one fit forward and four academy kids on the bench, we should just give him a total squad of nine players and he’ll snag us a Champions League place.

image.png.a2aff67fd74cc433d400086bdc14b8cd.png

I just checked this. It's true.

Matthews every season from 1931/32 to 1964/65

Shilton from 1965/66 - 1994/95 (and a few in 96/97)

Buffon every year from 1995/96 - now.

• Upvote 3

A moment of reflection for Alan Pardew, whose eight-year deal at Newcastle ends today. May he dance his way into another relegation scrap soon.

• Upvote 3
6 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

TalkSport innit.  I don't believe people on that station say what they really think and they only broadcast it to cause controversy.  I hate that station.

Yep clickbait radio.

• Upvote 1

Murphy is going down the Chris Sutton route of being deliberately contrarian to stand out from the other pundits for hire. Robbie Savage did something similar which is how he ended up with his own show on BT Sport. 

Are Chelsea applauding United’s league cup team?

10 minutes ago, Gotters said:

No fan of Murphy but I’ve always thought the guard of honour thing was a bit shite - if I was in a team I’d refuse to do it.

Strongly disagree -  it's a sign of respect and it's good to see in the game.  There's not enough sportsmanship in football at the moment.  If you can't give the champions a little bit of respect when they've achieved something that momentous, I find it a bit sad.

• Upvote 8
29 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Murphy is going down the Chris Sutton route of being deliberately contrarian to stand out from the other pundits for hire. Robbie Savage did something similar which is how he ended up with his own show on BT Sport. 

Are Chelsea applauding United’s league cup team?

Chris Sutton really gets on my nerves for that - his views aren't even consistent, unless that view is 'say the opposite of what the other bloke says'.

But I actually don't mind Robbie Savage.  I can see why he grates on people's nerves, but I've never been under the impression that he says anything other than what he thinks.  He's nowhere near as bad as Michael Owen or Steve fucking McManaman to name but 2 shockingly bad pundits.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Strongly disagree -  it's a sign of respect and it's good to see in the game.  There's not enough sportsmanship in football at the moment.  If you can't give the champions a little bit of respect when they've achieved something that momentous, I find it a bit sad.

it’s a fake act of sportsmanship they’re told to do for the tv, before going back to cheating as much as possible on the pitch

I’m all for genuine shows of sporting respect like fighters after a battle, but Football guards of honour always feel just for show to me

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

He's nowhere near as bad as Michael Owen or Steve fucking McManaman to name but 2 shockingly bad pundits.

Now now, the people's republic of Liverpool have apologised for Steve fucking McManaman many times. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, ilpostino said:

They're probably going to score five here, but for that second goal Shaw looked offside.

Yep, and the ball was out. 

Weird how some clubs get lucky with VAR. Guess it all balances out though. 

Just now, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yep, and the ball was out. 

Weird how some clubs get lucky with VAR. Guess it all balances out though. 

Commentator on my feed just said that the VAR office or whatever it's called said the ball going out of play was "too far back" to be considered as part of the review.

He wasn't offside, the check revealed their left back's trailing leg played him on. The ball was probably out before that but var doesn't work on those situations (according to Sky)

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

He wasn't offside, the check revealed their left back's trailing leg played him on. The ball was probably out before that but var doesn't work on those situations (according to Sky)

I didn't see the check on my feed, they never showed it. Just a matter of time mind before you score more, even if it was disallowed.

To be fair Brighton look crap tonight so it really doesn’t matter. 

VAR is shite though. 

Looking forward to the Sky analysts trying to work out if Fernandes is a better player than peak Zidane. 

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Agree totally but Murphy's not wrong in that there are players on Liverpool's team that aren't in the same class as Kevin DeB.  That's also true with the Chelsea/Man Utd one up there of course.

It's almost like it's a team game isn't it?

30 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Agree totally but Murphy's not wrong in that there are players on Liverpool's team that aren't in the same class as Kevin DeB.  That's also true with the Chelsea/Man Utd one up there of course.

It's almost like it's a team game isn't it?

Absolutely!  KDB is one of if not the best player in the league, but sadly for him, he doesn't play for the champions - his team are not the best in the league.

• Upvote 1