rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

It's weird.  United are there for the taking really, we've been very poor.  You can just see how a more energetic, ambitious performance from Norwich would surely have put them through, but as it stands they're flacidly heading out.

Edit - Or perhaps not.  :angry:

1 hour ago, AfromB said:

I think that some people are taking things slightly too personally. No one (OK, maybe there’s one) is suggesting that you can’t support whoever you like or that your feelings towards said team are fake. Non of this changes the central idea that it can mean more to someone who is more involved in the local culture of the club and  the surrounding area. I’m sorry if this upsets some of you but that’s just the way it is.

I'd argue it's not your location, it's the people you meet.

There's nothing inherent in the concrete of your town or city that inspires something exceptional in its inhabitants when it comes to celebrating the successes of the local football team. It's just that far more of the people you encounter have an opinion on the matter that extends beyond an uninterested shrug. 

It doesn't matter why they care. They could be die hard supporters going home and away, they could be proud denizens who like to see the local team do well, they could just care because it makes their loved ones happy. It's that they care at all that makes the difference.

I'd posit that you could uproot a group of local fans, lock them away together on an island for a few generations, have them pass down their support to their children, and as long as each of them cares about the side their connection to the club would be no weaker than if they'd never left.

Distance and attendance are red herrings. Proximity just makes it more likely you encounter the like-minded.

And that feeling is intoxicating.

1 hour ago, AfromB said:

I think that some people are taking things slightly too personally. No one (OK, maybe there’s one) is suggesting that you can’t support whoever you like or that your feelings towards said team are fake. Non of this changes the central idea that it can mean more to someone who is more involved in the local culture of the club and  the surrounding area. I’m sorry if this upsets some of you but that’s just the way it is. 

The main point is that if clubs aren't supported by those local to them, they're going to die, or at the very least the gap between the biggest clubs and everyone else will continue to grow and grow. The chances of another Leicester story (which was already pretty much the biggest shock in sport) will become more and more remote.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

It's also entirely possible to do both if you want. If you live in a small area where the local team are very low down the pecking order, there's nothing stopping you supporting them at live matches whilst also keeping your love/support for a bigger team you grew up supporting. 

Absolutely.  And for various reasons in my life there's 3 or 4 teams I like seeing do well.

Hell, two of my best friends support Coventry and QPR.  Next year they're in the same division and all 3 of us are going to both matches.  I'll be a neutral but don't tell me I'm going to enjoy those days less than most of the fans there.

But equally I was there when Coventry won the play off final to get the League 1, I've been to several Coventry matches over the years.  In some eyes that somehow makes me a bigger fan of the team than a life long follower who happens to not be able to get to Coventry (or Birmingham) for some reason.  Nah.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Timmo said:

The main point is that if clubs aren't supported by those local to them, they're going to die, or at the very least the gap between the biggest clubs and everyone else will continue to grow and grow. The chances of another Leicester story (which was already pretty much the biggest shock in sport) will become more and more remote.

The Leicester thing isn't a good example, because there *hasn't* been a story like that - that's the whole point.

Watford are absolute dogshit at the moment. Going down in a completely gutless manner with hoofball to Deeney, the only saving grace is that the other lot around us can't seem to buy a win at the moment. 

Leicester City need to start winning again or they are going to end up in the Europa League. 

Looks like the fans of the 4 teams left in the FA Cup at the start of he weekend who would have been gutted not to be able to go to Wembley because of closed doors games won’t be missing out.

Can we have the subtitle taken off now? I keep getting this and the Liverpool thread mixed up.

• Upvote 2

Palace/Burnley tonight for free on Amazon. 

With both teams staring mid-table  in the face there's not much to play for, it's either going to be an utterly dreadful 0-0 or a moderately more entertaining scrappy 1-0.

Zaha looks like he's out for us, so I'd stick your money on 1-0 Burnley (90th minute in off someones arse from a poorly delivered corner).

43 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Can we have the subtitle taken off now? I keep getting this and the Liverpool thread mixed up.

Yeah, same. Have edited it. 

• Upvote 1

Haha I thought it was just me having that problem. I didn't want to say anything because I thought I'd be accused of bitterness. :lol:

I'm not bitter, just easily confused! 

How long did it take for the games in Germany to start getting good after they started playing again? I haven't watched any of the Bundesliga since it came back but I'm assuming it did actually get better at some point after a bit of a rubbish start?

About two games. The better teams picked up a lot quicker. Some of the mid table side like Hertha were on it very quick as well.

I think the premier league games are starting to get better. The Chelsea City game was one of the best games of the season for drama (and not just because of what it meant for Liverpool).

• Upvote 2

We'll be putting a stop to that sort of thing tonight, thankyou very much.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Plissken said:

We'll be putting a stop to that sort of thing tonight, thankyou very much.

It's very much a "lets just get this out the way" game for both tonight isn't it.

16 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

It's very much a "lets just get this out the way" game for both tonight isn't it.

That's how I feel about the rest of the season, after the way Leicester have returned. 

Palace can still potentially chase a European slot for next season, can't they?

• Upvote 1

We get 4 Champions League slots and 3 Europa League spots, excluding any additional places if one of our clubs wins a European Competition this season.  

Assuming Manchester City finish in the top four and their ban is upheld then 5th is good enough for a Champions League spot.   

If Manchester City's ban is upheld then the League Cup winners spot goes to the Premier League so 6th, 7th and the FA Cup winners get the Europa League spots.  

If the FA Cup winners also qualify for the Champions League (or are banned from Europe *cough Manchester City cough*) then 8th could be good enough for a Europa League spot.  Newcastle in 14th still have an outside shot of Europe if results go the right way for them.  So yes. Palace can qualify for Europe. 

I feel like the Europe League is going to be even less attractive for some teams this season if you’ve got to travel around playing loads of games without any gate revenue (assuming European games being played with fans are a way off).

The battle for the drop is where it is at especially as Watford have raised the stakes with 3 of the players getting themselves dropped for attending a party.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Palace can still potentially chase a European slot for next season, can't they?

They’re only ahead of us on goal difference!

I always enjoy it when Ally McCoist is co commentator. How he appears so rarely yet Hoddle is on every week is beyond me.

29 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I always enjoy it when Ally McCoist is co commentator. How he appears so rarely yet Hoddle is on every week is beyond me.

Or those scouse twats on Sky, and BT Sport.