rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

I don’t get the Maupay witch hunt - what he did is nowhere near as bad as the frequent shoving a winger into the hoardings - he gave the goalie a little contact, probably a fk, the rest was accidental.

west ham ground will not look that different on tv as you rarely see a stand and the pitch in the same shot as they’re so far back

• Upvote 1

Fuck me, that strike from Neto is still travelling. 

Woof etcetera and so on for that second goal, wow.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

I don’t get the Maupay witch hunt - what he did is nowhere near as bad as the frequent shoving a winger into the hoardings - he gave the goalie a little contact, probably a fk, the rest was accidental.

He’s had a reputation as a bit of a shithouse for a while now. Watched him in The Championship last season when he was at Brentford and he was the same there.  One of those players you love if he’s on your team and hate if he’s not. 

Really nice to see Adama Traore develop into a top player. The potential was there during his time at Villa Park but he was so young and so raw that it was just too soon for him, especially playing in a side as poor as that one.  It’s still weird that he looks more like a middleweight boxer than a professional footballer though.  

• Upvote 2

Yeah Adama has just been unplayable this season. I really wasn't convinced by him last season but the improvement this season has been sensational. He can he anything he wants - still only young but he's gone from being a footballing Forrest Gump to a consistent match winner.

Thought Wolves played well throughout TBH, I was really pleased with such a professional display. Nice to be able to bring on such exciting match winning talent like Adama and Neto! 

• Upvote 1

Finally seen Leto’s goal. Bloody hell.

There’s particles in the Large Hadron Collider that move slower than that ball.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to retire. In four years he's gone from City Number 1 to a free agent and with goalkeepers once their confidence has gone it never really comes back to the same level it was before. 

I always feel with Hart his confidence massively outweighed his ability, making the fall somewhat more painful as that sinks in.

Exactly the same for Pickford too.

Confidence can carry you a long way, especially if you can project it onto others but yeah, once it’s gone it’s really hard to get back. You see it all the time in boxing when a fighter loses their unbeaten record. It’s really sad what has happened to Joe Hart. It would be cool to see him have a couple of seasons back at Shrewsbury but I think he’s four or five years too young to be able to do that without people making jokes.  

De Gea is a similar situation but it’s obviously not as bad but once those mistakes start creeping in they never go away, especially at his age. But with United there’s the risk that Henderson there’s the risk he’s another Ben Foster, amazing at a smaller club but crumbles under the pressure of playing for United. It’s why I have a lot of sympathy for Karius who had always been shaky but eww emotionally crushed by what happened in the Champions League final.

Joelinton makes Alfonso Alves look like a good signing.

David James is probably one of the kings of somebody who lost his confidence and never got it back to allow him to play at the top, top level ever again - though he did have a very good career. But he was a real prospect when Liverpool signed him but playing in some of the terrible defences we had meant he was far too exposed, far too young and then the mistakes started creeping in and he had to live with that wherever he went.

@Gotters Joe Hart was really good once, whereas I don't think Pickford has ever been anything special - I think his main attribute was that he English and not Joe Hart, so his ability was played-up by others.

I even remember when Hart was getting accolades at City not being convinced, he just got away with the mistakes more and didn't have much to do as they were attacking more than defending.

He was always cross flapper, always had palmed shots back out to strikers and was long suspected of having a weakness down low, and got away with that by looking angry and shouting a bit whenever it happened.

Joelinton did a goal!

The four horsemen seen cresting the horizon moments later. Farewell civilisation, we knew you well.

• Upvote 2

Joe Hart hasn't lost his confidence, people have lost confidence in him.

It's weird.  The results at Burnley with him have been pretty bad, but he hasn't actually been at fault.  I think it was Peterborough earlier in the year where we won 4-1 but the 1 was Lowton just absolutely screwing up a backpass and leaving Hart nowhere and the usual people going "Look at Hart".  Opening game of last season, we lost 3-1 at home to Watford and the defence was absolutely hopeless.  He kept it from being 6.  The back four have been incredibly jittery in a way that they never were with Heaton (barking at them all the time) or Pope (much quieter).  But it's not as if he has been a bad team mate, completely the opposite.

I just think that the Football Gods have got it in for him.  He won a title with City, went to World Cups and now they are taking their revenge.

• Upvote 1

He could do with a drop down to the Championship I think but wages might be an issue. 

Everton should have scored twice in the last few minutes.

So this must be all set up for a ridiculous Liverpool winner in the last few minutes 

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

Everton should have scored twice in the last few minutes.

So this must be all set up for a ridiculous Liverpool winner in the last few minutes at the Etihad to win the title. 

Fixed

The Merseyside derby is often an over-hyped, drab affair, but that has to go down as one of the worst games between the two clubs in a long, long time.

Kudos to any neutrals who made it through that. Christ.

• Upvote 2

It was probably worse than the Villa/Sheff U game because at least that had the non-goal to talk about. This one had nothing going for it. 

3 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Fucking hell Villa.  Awful team who deserve to be relegated.  

Been kicking off on the whatsapp footy chat, two villa mates arguing about whether Dean Smith is shite or not.

I personally think he's done an ok job at Villa, promotion plus a cup final. The players at his disposal are mostly Championship quality.

34 minutes ago, glb said:

The Merseyside derby is often an over-hyped, drab affair, but that has to go down as one of the worst games between the two clubs in a long, long time.

Kudos to any neutrals who made it through that. Christ.

It took a fair amount of booze but I made it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

It took a fair amount of booze but I made it.

I salute you. Drink more booze to wipe the memory of it now.

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Been kicking off on the whatsapp footy chat, two villa mates arguing about whether Dean Smith is shite or not.

I personally think he's done an ok job at Villa, promotion plus a cup final. The players at his disposal are mostly Championship quality.

I don't think he's the man for the job.  I'm not sure that getting rid now will do much but we are still paying for the sins of Randy Lerner and Tony Xia.  The first relegation was basically engineered because Lerner wanted to pull out after his ex wife took him for half his fortune and Xia was just a clueless chancer who tried to rebuild the club on sand. It's well documented now but the squad which got promoted was made up of loanees and thirtysomethings and a wholesale rebuild was needed at the end of 2018/19 regardless of where we finished. After the January window the club had three or four players who were far too good for the Championship (Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Abraham) and as soon as we could get them all in the team at the same time we win games just on individual talent, I'm not sure how much Smith's system had to do with anything.  That said, he seems to rely on having players who are at least as good as the rest of the division and we don't, despite the money which was spent. Throw in season ending injuries to our first choice goalkeeper and only "senior" striker over Xmas, plus a four month layoff for John McGinn and it was always going to be an uphill battle.  But there have been too many individual errors, too many "if we play like that next week then we'll be okay" games where we've come away with nothing and the playing staff seem almost happy with the performance.   Sheffield United have got several League One players in their side and they are flirting with European Qualification. I'm not saying we should be anywhere near that but some of the performances this season have been so flat you wonder if anyone realises they are in a relegation battle.  Somehow it's still in our own hands, but I'd be absolutely amazed if we stay up.  Four wins and a couple of draws from the last eight games is probably what's required, we'll probably manage to finish bottom. 

• Upvote 4

as a quality or decent game of football I now think of the merseyside derby in the same category as the Old Firm, Birmingham/Villa or Norwich/Ipswich scuffles - its just not a fixture now that delivers anything in line with the noise and talk before it, I didn't even bother turning lasts nights on.

last nights will of course have been impacted by the layoff and empty ground like all the other fixtures, but its not an outlier in recent history is it. 

one of the upsides of Arsenals slide into mediocrity is our next few games KO at 6pm, so I should be able to stay awake to the end. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I don't think he's the man for the job.  I'm not sure that getting rid now will do much but we are still paying for the sins of Randy Lerner and Tony Xia.  The first relegation was basically engineered because Lerner wanted to pull out after his ex wife took him for half his fortune and Xia was just a clueless chancer who tried to rebuild the club on sand. It's well documented now but the squad which got promoted was made up of loanees and thirtysomethings and a wholesale rebuild was needed at the end of 2018/19 regardless of where we finished. After the January window the club had three or four players who were far too good for the Championship (Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Abraham) and as soon as we could get them all in the team at the same time we win games just on individual talent, I'm not sure how much Smith's system had to do with anything.  That said, he seems to rely on having players who are at least as good as the rest of the division and we don't, despite the money which was spent. Throw in season ending injuries to our first choice goalkeeper and only "senior" striker over Xmas, plus a four month layoff for John McGinn and it was always going to be an uphill battle.  But there have been too many individual errors, too many "if we play like that next week then we'll be okay" games where we've come away with nothing and the playing staff seem almost happy with the performance.   Sheffield United have got several League One players in their side and they are flirting with European Qualification. I'm not saying we should be anywhere near that but some of the performances this season have been so flat you wonder if anyone realises they are in a relegation battle.  Somehow it's still in our own hands, but I'd be absolutely amazed if we stay up.  Four wins and a couple of draws from the last eight games is probably what's required, we'll probably manage to finish bottom. 

I agree with all of this, but should also add that we were looking ok at the start of the season. We were attacking well while being a bit defensively naive (which was it's own problem when you have John Terry as Assistant Manager) and being very unlucky in a lot of games. Then we destroyed Norwich away and comfortably played Newcastle off the pitch and things were looking decent. 

Then came the contract extension, the first battering by Leicester and, shortly after, the McGinn injury. Since then we have looked every inch a Championship club and Smith seems to have no inclination to even try something different and, as you say, the players don't seem to realise they're in a relegation battle.

Yesterday's performance was as bad as any game from the last time we went down and wouldn't have looked out of place in the Bruce years. Pointless like-for-like subs actioned far too late. Losing at home and absolutely no urgency to attack. Lone striker 20 yards away from his nearest team-mate. Comical defending and marking. The list goes on but the Manager is happy with the performance. That performance was 19% possession against a good, but not world beating Chelsea team.

It seems we are once again sleep walking in to relegation and, once again, we wont be missed by the league.