rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

West Ham about to spend £45 million on Sebastien Haller is quite interesting, but the quote from Pellegrini at the end is pretty brutal

Strikers Lucas Perez, Marko Arnautovic and Andy Carroll have all left the Hammers this summer, and earlier on Tuesday manager Manuel Pellegrini said the club are "trying to bring in good players".

Looks like Steve Bruce to Newcastle.  That takes a bit of balls considering he's managed Sunderland before. I'm surprised really but he might want to go back to the North East.  If that was me, I'd have stayed at Wednesday - Mike Ashley's not someone I'd want to work under. 

It'll be good to have Steve back on Match of The Day with his sad looking face and his softly spoken miserablisms.

My favourite Steve Bruce quote:

Well, we're in and around the bottom area where I've had a lot of experience.

Just looked up his Wiki page and I'm amazed he played in numerous Man Utd squads that literally won everything and he never won a single cap for the full England team.  That seems mad.

• Upvote 3

It's like that 'why didn't England just play the entire Arsenal back five' thing from around the same time.

Sunderland and Newcastle is just Bruce's latest since he's also managed both Sheffield clubs as well as Birmingham and Villa. Fair play on not giving a fuck what anyone thinks of you, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Spent lots of money in the last 3 years, a lot of which has gone on absolute muck. £57m and £47m on Aubameyang & Lacazette. £40m on Xhaka. £36m on Mustafi. £25m on Torreira. £22m on Leno. £18m on Lucaz Perez who played about 4 times then left for fuck all. Plus a huge new contract for Ozil, and Mkhitaryan on big wages too.

Just horrible recruitment for the most part, coupled with mishandling Sanchez & Ramsey's exits spectacularly and ending up with no fees for either of them.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I'm sure this won't happen, but seeing as Bruce has shafted Wednesday, how fucking funny would it be?

There's no evidence that they're anywhere near agreeing compensation (or that Bruce's resignation has been accepted). He's clearly costing more than they expected, so it's not entirely out of the question.

Who knows what happens if it's true though.

16 hours ago, stefcha said:

The thought of Lewis Dunk and Harry Maguire going for over £100m for the pair is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Transfers have been getting a bit silly for a while, but shit like this is literally insane to the point I'm struggling to comprehend even the potential reality of it. 

Presume it’s also to do with the premium attached to players who help fulfil the homegrown player rule. 

Whilst I’m happy to get £70m + for Maguire, I really don’t think £45m on Dunk is VFM or very sensible. It’s not like we need him to help fulfil the 8/25 homegrown requirement. 

41 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Spent lots of money in the last 3 years, a lot of which has gone on absolute muck. £57m and £47m on Aubameyang & Lacazette. £40m on Xhaka. £36m on Mustafi. £25m on Torreira. £22m on Leno. £18m on Lucaz Perez who played about 4 times then left for fuck all. Plus a huge new contract for Ozil, and Mkhitaryan on big wages too.

Just horrible recruitment for the most part, coupled with mishandling Sanchez & Ramsey's exits spectacularly and ending up with no fees for either of them.

I'd forgotten Xhaka cost that much! I love a left footed player who can smash the ball ridiculously hard from distance (podolski :wub:) but £40m is silly money for someone as inconsistent as Xhaka

3 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Delph is a great signing for Everton. 

Looks like Trippier is off to Atletico for £25m. That's a great deal for Spurs. 

I dunno, Spurs need freshening up and he had a relatively crap season but Atletico will see £20m for a seasoned international with CL experience as a decent price. It seems fair for all parties, least of all the player himself who can probably do with a change of scenery.

Reading about Trippier lead me to research Atletico's other signings.

£113 million for Joao Felix!

Fucking mental.

On 13/07/2019 at 14:17, Rsdio said:

Again, not really the same but Eintracht Frankfurt activating their option to buy Jovic for £7m then selling him to Madrid for nearly ten times that a few weeks later was a weird one.

Not bad business.

Something similar has just happened with Bjorn Engels as he becomes the 8th signing of the summer at Villa Park (five new faces, three loans made permanent) for somewhere in the region of £9m from Reims in French Ligue 1. Reims had him on loan from Olympiacos with an option to buy and took that option before immediately selling to Villa.  I'm not sure what the profit would have been as Olympiacos had paid €7m for him in 2017. Seems like he's one of those prospects who lost his way for a year or so but he had a really good season in France.  

26 minutes ago, bum said:

Fucking mental.

I think they're still in profit from the players they've sold though. 

Just now, Mike1812 said:

I think they're still in profit from the players they've sold though. 

Just about.

I'm not talking about their net spend, though.  I just think that price for a player with one decent but not outstanding season behind him is ludicrous.

35 minutes ago, bum said:

Fucking mental.

We all know they'll (probably) double their money selling him in a couple of years.

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

Baffling transfer! His defending isn't good enough for Atletico.

Because Juanfran was basically Tony Adams and Martin Keown rolled into one player.

• Upvote 1

£20m for a current England international is a bargain.  Especially one with the quality of Trippier.  Probably one of the best crossers and dead ball strikers in the Premier League.  I think he might well thrive in La Liga.

16 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Presume it’s also to do with the premium attached to players who help fulfil the homegrown player rule. 

Whilst I’m happy to get £70m + for Maguire, I really don’t think £45m on Dunk is VFM or very sensible. It’s not like we need him to help fulfil the 8/25 homegrown requirement. 

Dan Ashworth says that there has been no contact from Leicester around signing Dunk. I still think they're more likely to sign Ake or Tarkowski.

And we're more likely to lose Knockeart to Fulham as they have made a formal approach for him.

EDIT - I realise this thrilling Brighton update is really only of interest to me.

8 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Newcastle look poor.

Wolves 3-0 up at half time.

This is going better than our last semi final...

We do not mention that.

• Upvote 1

That was really impressive to watch - we're miles ahead of Newcastle in terms of fitness and ability, it was a mismatch at times.  They were sloppy and gave the ball away cheaply right from the start, whereas we had a very good tempo to our play, kept possession well, never rushed and looked dangerous going forward.  And that's without Doherty and Jimenez.

Nice to see some of the academy lads get a run out as well - all of whom looked well drilled and comfortable in possession.

Very promising indeed.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Plissken said:

And me. Dunk or Tarkowski.

I would have thought that Tarkowski was more Rogers type.

Definitely. Dunk is great at defending deep but totally unproven in a more expansive capacity.

10 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

That was really impressive to watch - we're miles ahead of Newcastle in terms of fitness and ability, it was a mismatch at times.  They were sloppy and gave the ball away cheaply right from the start, whereas we had a very good tempo to our play, kept possession well, never rushed and looked dangerous going forward.  And that's without Doherty and Jimenez.

Nice to see some of the academy lads get a run out as well - all of whom looked well drilled and comfortable in possession.

Very promising indeed.

Well Wolves need to be up to speed, as you've got those early Europa League qualifying games.

Newcastle fans are apparently going to protest at a Sports Direct store and then maybe bouycott an Arsenal game and then a home game. Boycotting games, especially home games is the bestvway to go about protests imo. Never mind about loyalty and "through thick and thin" nothing will change until serious money starts being missed via home games being empty. Even then there so much TV money and Ashley owns so many shops now it'll probably not matter.

• Upvote 1