rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Spurs have a confirmed case of covid-19. I'll be astounded if it's not Erik Lamela.

Nah it will be Kane and knowing our luck it will destroy his lungs and he will have to retire.

he’s playing pro-am golf on Friday, I think you’re safe. 

Scottish football has agreed some sort of virtual season ticket with sky where each club gives season ticket holders access to view all the home games while they're behind closed doors. Not exactly clear how it works but a good idea. 

Good interview by Lyle Taylor explaining his decision to not risk injury playing out the last few games for Charlton

I know fans never want to see players as real people with worries, concerns, issues or an actual career to manage but when you read how he justifies this its totally rational and you'd have to be a bit of a twat to begrudge him this and risk himself.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11684/12000157/lyle-taylor-gutted-over-end-to-charlton-athletic-career

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Steely said:

Stole a living clearly. 

I remember when ISS 98 on PS1 had the run up. First football game I remember with a personal animation.

• Upvote 2

I'm going to need a 'previously on' when football returns

Was just reading F365 and they had a piece about managers under pressure with Moyes at West Ham, had totally forgotten he was back there and couldn't even recall who he'd replaced.

The lockdown weeks make all that went before seem like ancient history.

41 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Was just reading F365 and they had a piece about managers under pressure with Moyes at West Ham, had totally forgotten he was back there and couldn't even recall who he'd replaced.

Are managers who were under pressure still under pressure?  Making changes during this run-in seems effectively pointless.

44 minutes ago, Gotters said:

A lot of players how were injured will be back as well.

Its also going to be like a new season of Friends that takes place immediately after the end of the last season, but everyone has new haircuts.

5 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Are managers who were under pressure still under pressure?  Making changes during this run-in seems effectively pointless.

in the illogical irrational world of football who knows.

I always think of it the same way I do in an office when you have somebody in your team people want you to get rid of or take off a task/project - firstly is a better immediate replacement available, secondly are we saying the person being removed is actively making things worse by their very presence, making their immediate removal needed and anybody doing the job is better than them.

but like I say that is more logical, and in football (and the office) sometimes you just need to appear to be doing something and move some deckchairs round whilst the ship plunges inevitably to the seabed.

Palace V Bournemouth the first BBC Premier League game ever (one to bank for future pub quizzes, if that's ever a thing again)

Means Palace should be (with Bournemouth) holders of the record of highest TV viewership of a EPL game (currently 4.04 Million), we will hold that record for precisely the gap between that game and the next, more exciting game on BBC.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

Although equally there's barely going to be an offseason so if you're safe then you might want to.

Initial provisional fixture list from The Athletic - spoilered for length.

Spoiler

Wed June 17: Aston Villa vs Sheffield United (6pm – Sky Sports)
Wed June 17: Manchester City vs Arsenal (8.15pm – Sky Sports)
Fri June 19: Norwich vs Southampton (6pm – Sky Sports)
Fri June 19: Tottenham vs Manchester United (8pm – Sky Sports)
Sat June 20: Watford vs Leicester (12.30pm – BT Sport)
Sat June 20: Brighton vs Arsenal (3pm – BT Sport)
Sat June 20: West Ham vs Wolves (5.30pm – Sky Sports)
Sat June 20: Bournemouth vs Crystal Palace (7.45pm – BBC)
Sun June 21: Newcastle vs Sheffield United (2pm – Sky Sports)
Sun June 21: Aston Villa vs Chelsea (4.30pm – Sky Sports)
Sun June 21: Everton vs Liverpool (7pm – Sky Sports)
Mon June 22: Manchester City vs Burnley (8pm – Sky Sports)
Tue June 23: Southampton vs Arsenal (6pm – Sky Sports)
Tue June 23: Tottenham vs West Ham (8.15pm – Sky Sports)
Wed June 24: Manchester United vs Sheffield United (6pm – Sky Sports)
Wed June 24: Newcastle vs Aston Villa (6pm – BT Sport)
Wed June 24: Norwich vs Everton (6pm – BBC)
Wed June 24: Liverpool vs Crystal Palace (8.15pm – Sky Sports)
Thu June 25: Burnley vs Watford (6pm – Sky Sports)
Thu June 25: Leicester vs Brighton (6pm – Sky Sports)
Thu June 25: Chelsea vs Manchester City (8.15pm – Sky Sports)
Thu June 25: Wolves vs Bournemouth (8.15pm – BT Sport)
Sun June 28: Aston Villa vs Wolves (12pm – BT Sport)
Sun June 28: Watford vs Southampton (4.30pm – Sky Sports)
Mon June 29: Crystal Palace vs Burnley (8pm – Amazon)
Tue June 30: Brighton vs Manchester United (6pm – Sky Sports)
Tue June 30: Sheffield United vs Tottenham (8.15pm – Sky Sports)
Wed July 1: Bournemouth vs Newcastle (6pm – Sky Sports)
Wed July 1: Everton vs Leicester (6pm – Sky Sports)
Wed July 1: West Ham vs Chelsea (8.15pm – Sky Sports)
Thu July 2: Arsenal vs Norwich (6pm – BT Sport)
Thu July 2: Manchester City vs Liverpool (8.15pm – Sky Sports)

That is a pretty under-whelming 4 game Saturday at the start

Sat June 20: Watford vs Leicester (12.30pm – BT Sport)
Sat June 20: Brighton vs Arsenal (3pm – BT Sport)
Sat June 20: West Ham vs Wolves (5.30pm – Sky Sports)
Sat June 20: Bournemouth vs Crystal Palace (7.45pm – BBC)

Games all played at different times is rubbish if you fancy doing an accumulator or something and if you aren't interested in watching game after game after game after game after game.

Watch as teams spend a whole 2 hours in the relegation zone or a European spot.

I was searching for info about how well (or not) the Athletic is doing in the UK following launch last August, couldn't find specifics but did find this good article about its launch and approach. Their metric driven strategy on writers worth is very interesting and they appear to be in the odd tech startup phase of building audience and losing piles of cash still. 

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/sport/article/the-athletic

I already know I'll resubscribe when it comes back up - the content is so far above anywhere else and they've had good stuff even during lockdown. Good example being their article today on how Werner has ended up signing for Chelsea not Liverpool, its so full of inside detail and the facts.

38 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

That is a pretty under-whelming 4 game Saturday at the start

It's just the remaining fixtures as scheduled, unless I'm mistaken.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Plissken said:

It's just the remaining fixtures as scheduled, unless I'm mistaken.

Yeah - I mean normally these would all be the 3pm fixtures rather than a Super Saturday of live football.

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I have a ticket for West Ham v Wolves.  I wonder if it would work :)

Have you heard anything on refunds?

Season ticket question also comes into play as soon as the restarts happen. I've got my season ticket in my wallet all ready to stay there when we play Leeds at home in a couple of weeks :(

I know Burnley have gone down the refund / credit towards next season / donate to the Community setup route.

I'm taking the credit option - I already give to the Community setup separately.

22 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Have you heard anything on refunds?

Season ticket question also comes into play as soon as the restarts happen. I've got my season ticket in my wallet all ready to stay there when we play Leeds at home in a couple of weeks :(

yeah we had an email I think.  I haven't had time to look into it yet.  I'm hoping it'll just come off the cost of the next season ticket.

58 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I was searching for info about how well (or not) the Athletic is doing in the UK following launch last August, couldn't find specifics but did find this good article about its launch and approach. Their metric driven strategy on writers worth is very interesting and they appear to be in the odd tech startup phase of building audience and losing piles of cash still. 

I already know I'll resubscribe when it comes back up - the content is so far above anywhere else and they've had good stuff even during lockdown. Good example being their article today on how Werner has ended up signing for Chelsea not Liverpool, its so full of inside detail and the facts.

I’m the opposite. There are some decent reads but they’re too infrequent to really justify paying for content that is available elsewhere, particularly the club-specific content.

Read the Werner article this morning; zero quotes, just speculation throughout to essentially reveal: ‘Chelsea paid his release clause’. They can do better.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I’m gonna let mine lapse, I’d mainly picked it up for Villa coverage and it’s shit. I don’t rate Gregg Evans as a writer at all, all he does is puff piece interviews.   I will say their boxing coverage is pretty good though.  

Oh, and the Villa refund policy seems to be the same as everywhere else. Refund, discount on next year’s season ticket (if and when that happens) or donate the balance to charity.

Arsenal refund policy was either rollover credit or request a cash refund - I chose the cash a few days ago but not seen the money yet. Knowing Arsenal they'll try to pay it in instalments.

Spurs taking out that massive loan from the government interesting - I'd like to see some knowledgable analysis from Price of Footy or Swiss Ramble as to whether its a worrying sign or just smart borrowing £175m at such a low rate, replacing higher interesting attracting debt on the ground. 

At least they'll have the best empty stadium in the league when things kick back off. 

Chelsea are either refunding or donating to charity on request.

Chelsea declared WSL champions on PPG.

This decision also relegates Liverpool.

It's football christmas.

28 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Chelsea declared WSL champions on PPG.

This decision also relegates Liverpool.

It's football christmas.

:( 

Rather lovely story from the Grauniad about England playing a Euro ‘88 warm-up against... Aylesbury.

Ducks Vs Three Lions

Footage of the wonderfully-named Cliff Hercules’ golden chance to etch himself in football folklore:

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

I’m gonna let mine lapse, I’d mainly picked it up for Villa coverage and it’s shit. I don’t rate Gregg Evans as a writer at all, all he does is puff piece interviews.   I will say their boxing coverage is pretty good though.  

Oh, and the Villa refund policy seems to be the same as everywhere else. Refund, discount on next year’s season ticket (if and when that happens) or donate the balance to charity.

I think that's the thing with the Athletic, if you have a good writer for your club, its well worth the money. The Leeds coverage is excellent from Phil Hay, who is massively respected by the majority of fans.