rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Clubs needs to buy players to plan for the future no matter what. I have no sympathy for players earning more in a year than most people do during their entire lifetime. 

So you earn 100 grand a month and now you have to get a haircut? The world’s smallest violin is playing.

I think the transfer embargo makes perfect sense. If the club are in deep enough financial dire straits they're asking employees to take pay cuts they definitely shouldn't be able to sign players.

• Upvote 2

The problem with the championship in particular is the relegation parachute payments that skew the league unfairly. If a team wants to compete for promotion they don't have much choice but to gamble on losses. 

8 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

The problem with the championship in particular is the relegation parachute payments that skew the league unfairly. If a team wants to compete for promotion they don't have much choice but to gamble on losses. 

yup, plus on top of that the gamble being taken by many owners isn't based on football success in playing in the premier league for honour/glory etc, its asset appreciation based.

investors buy into fallen angel championship clubs at what they hope is a big discount, pile debt and wage bills on them, hoping to get them into the top flight and shift the ownership on at a profit (not caring what they've left behind).

I don't disagree too much with the Championship being skewed by parachute payments and speculative investors, but it still does have a weird ability to let a smaller well-run club that makes a few smart decisions through.  (Burnley (2014), Huddersfield and Norwich spring to mind. And it's a shame that Brentford haven't quite got over the line yet.)

• Upvote 1

The trick is to get into the Prem and stay there a season.  From then on you can ride the parachute payment fun until another spendy or smart club does enough to break into the group.

National League and South and North has voted to finish the season immediately and consider what happens with Promotion and Relegation. Maybe based on current points or points average.

Not sure how this is going to work as every league below cancelled and expunged all results so, in theory, no relegation  from the South and North Leagues as no-one to come up from the league below. 

Then the EFL hasn't decided yet and could decide no relegation from Division 2??

I was thinking about how unlikely it is that we'll see crowds in football grounds anytime soon, its months away and possibly not happening this year. I also hate watching soulless behind closed doors games, its just not the same and is always a bit weird.

Is there any merit in having the sporting equivalent of a laugh track, it would be quite hard to do as the crowd ebbs and flows quite quickly in response to events (insert your Emirates joke here about no noise needed), but would it better than that empty hollow thump you here from every pass in an empty ground ?

I know some grounds fake a bit of atmosphere, believe West Ham & Spurs have been caught playing crowd noise thru the PA, and Liverpool always amplify the singing of that dreary song before matches. 

I think I'd take a bit of pre-recorded crowd noise going on to generate some background when the games restart.

I think 5 Live and Talksport add a bit of atmosphere on the radio. I remember reading about it here a long time ago of why it's helpful but can't for the life of me recall why. I wonder if they could make a bit of a feature of it, like they did with fan commentary? Mic up people's living rooms and catch-up with them before kick-off like Googlebox to add some colour, and have their bellowing translate to the volume and type of canned crowd noise. Could add an element of authenticity to it. Silent games where you can hear the kick of the ball are soul destroying.

I think I'd rather listen to an empty stadium than fan banter.  (Didn't Sky do this a few years back.  Fan commentaries, with a couple of "lads" doing "bantz" next to each other.)

TalkSport definitely piped in crowd noise, but that was because they were commentating by watching it all on a telly in a studio in London. At least Five Live always have someone in the stadium.

• Upvote 1

nothing would make me turn the TV off quicker than fan commentary and 'bantz' - I'd rather games weren't played than listen to that. 

yeah it was Talk Sport doing unofficial commentary of games they didn't have rights to, guess radio noise will work better as you don't have the visuals to tie it up with.

if a player takes a shot that goes wide and you get an 'ooooohhh' recorded noise a bit late it would look weird.

it needs something though as suspect empty grounds and no noise will be a huge long term turn off, something good may come of it though, clubs may get into their thick heads they need people in stadiums. I suspect though they will forget that the second they negotiate the next deal and start selling off 11pm Thursday kick off slots to get it on wall to wall globally.

For clarity, I'm definitely not suggesting they broadcast fan banter into my living room. Just that they use fans almost as the input for volume/cadence of recorded crowd noise. It would be quite an interesting problem to solve but have a feeling silence would probably be the way to go.

Maybe they can paint (and repaint) a mural like Arsenal did that time at Highbury?

*joke about Arsenal’s crowd being more animated than usual etc etc*

• Upvote 2

James Corden and maybe Freddie Flintoff having commentary bants would be good. They could be in the corner on Zoom. They're good on that sport comedy panel show on Sky.

Try negging that post losers!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

2 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

James Corden and maybe Freddie Flintoff having commentary bants would be good. They could be in the corner on Zoom. They're good on that sport comedy panel show on Sky.

Try negging that post losers!

red-x-on-network-icon.png

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

I think I'd rather listen to an empty stadium than fan banter.  (Didn't Sky do this a few years back.  Fan commentaries, with a couple of "lads" doing "bantz" next to each other.)

Yep. And it was populated by the same sort of twats who would be making reaction videos on YouTube these days. It was awful, and I presume nobody watched it because it was binned. 

11 hours ago, Gotters said:

Is there any merit in having the sporting equivalent of a laugh track

Why not an actual laugh track?  Especially if Phil Jones is playing.

11 hours ago, glb said:

Maybe they can paint (and repaint) a mural like Arsenal did that time at Highbury?

*joke about Arsenal’s crowd being more animated than usual etc etc*

FYI lots of teams are looking into something like that, along with or alternatively sponsor logos, stay at home messages, etc. 
I’ve not heard any gossip about crowd sounds though, wouldn’t be in my wheelhouse. 

To get the real feel of the crowd I'm used to sitting with, I'd just want a chorus of tutting and a loud, elderly man repeating the phrase "get it forward". 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, milko said:

FYI lots of teams are looking into something like that, along with or alternatively sponsor logos, stay at home messages, etc. 
I’ve not heard any gossip about crowd sounds though, wouldn’t be in my wheelhouse. 

I suppose the players might benefit from some sort of stimulus, although the games will still be strange.

I’m not even sure how they can happen any time soon; if one player or member of the skeleton staff that will be involved tests positive the whole thing will shutdown immediately anyway.

Edit:

And now the Eredivisie is null and voided. Suspect, despite recent optimistic reports to the contrary, it’s now just a matter of time before other leagues do likewise.

Realistically, a resumption behind closed doors is unfeasible in England given what a clusterfuck far more important matters have turned into.

Congratulations to Alan Pardew for keeping Den Haag up. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Congratulations to Alan Pardew for keeping Den Haag up. 

No sides will be relegated or promoted, meaning Cambuur - who topped the second tier and held an 11-point gap over the play-off positions - will not go up.

Cambuur head coach Henk de John told broadcaster NOS the decision felt "like the biggest disgrace in the history of Dutch sport".

Imagine being Cambuur.

On 23/04/2020 at 11:15, Plissken said:

TalkSport definitely piped in crowd noise, but that was because they were commentating by watching it all on a telly in a studio in London. At least Five Live always have someone in the stadium.

What about some comedy sound effects for the lolz? It would make it much more bearable watching Phil Jones smash a 40 yard ball into row Z.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

Imagine being Cambuur.

Liverpool are probably going to have the same feeling.

Surely EA can lend teams a FIFA soundboard and someone can just move a slider or a press a button where necessary for the desired affect. 

5 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Liverpool are probably going to have the same feeling.

Surely EA can lend teams a FIFA soundboard and someone can just move a slider or a press a button where necessary for the desired affect. 

I would be so pissed off if I was a Liverpool fan. I feel really sorry for them. It's not like they're 2 points ahead having played a game more, they're a full 25 points ahead, having played a game more. The odds on them not winning the league must have been tiny. Literally only an act of God could stop them.

I am a Liverpool fan and have resigned myself to it happening. They are the exception to every possible rule when it comes to winning the title (like top at Christmas) and the act of God required to stop them winning it this season has happened.