rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

18 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

No - not summer because a scary virus doesn’t stop football every summer.

Of course he will be fine, but I’m sure I’m not the only one with a kid potentially anxious about all this and his favourite thing suddenly disappearing isn’t that great, but I’ll tell him to take up knitting and that will be fine.

Time to ruin his life forever by introducing him to Football Manager. 

just had the radio on earlier and Talksport had already descended into list hell - there is going to be a lot of combined XIs, best player you've played with, who'd win a match out of Utd 1999 vs Liverpool 2020 type content to fill the airwaves and papers I suspect.

United 99. No comparison.

As well as Liverpool have played this season, they're only so far ahead cos the rest of the league has been shit. You only have to look at how the EPL teams have performed in Europe to see that. 

• Upvote 4

On 13/03/2020 at 09:29, bradigor said:

However for many, knowing you have something to look forward to at the weekend can get you through a shitty week. In these bleak looking times, not having that something to look forward to could be detrimental to mental health. 

But then, some of us support Everton.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, tbb said:

United 99. No comparison.

As well as Liverpool have played this season, they're only so far ahead cos the rest of the league has been shit. You only have to look at home the EPL teams have performed in Europe to see that. 

One team won the unique treble, the other didn't. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

One team won the unique treble, the other didn't. :lol:

One team hasn't won anything yet... 

I’d accept this if there was still some way for West Ham to be relegated. 

Null and Void with the exception of West Ham? Sounds good.

in the next shock news Aston Villa & Norwich boards will agree with Brady, and Liverpool management will declare their view that table should stand as is if season isn't completed and everything decided on that basis.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gotters said:

in the next shock news Aston Villa & Norwich boards will agree with Brady, and Liverpool management will declare their view that table should stand as is if season isn't completed and everything decided on that basis.

Maybe add Bournemouth, Watford and Brighton to that list too? More than West Ham struggling at the bottom.

Mind you, Brady is a colossal twat along with the two knobheads in chief, so it'd be worth us going down just to make her and them look as incompetent as most West Ham fans know they are. 

• Upvote 1

Watching Football Focus and the desire for the league to be concluded at the expense of cup and international competition is high amongst the guests. Looking at the realistic timings it's going to be a struggle though.

Increasing the number of teams in the Premier League, adding the top two Championship teams with no relegation is an interesting idea. The additional fixtures would be difficult to accommodate but obviously these are exceptional circumstances. Relegation from the Premier League next season would be four teams, with the top 2, only, promoted again.

The number of teams is never going to be increased. Never. 20 is max so don't think it'll ever happen just to make it "fair" for the lower clubs, it's not going to happen.

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

I’d accept this if there was still some way for West Ham to be relegated. 

Obviously they are bricking it at the possibility of being relegated. Using her contacts in the media to take advantage of the current situation to put pressure to cancel the season to save their necks is a low. 

I fully expect Euro 2020 to be delayed till next year and the domestic leagues to resume by May. Hopefully the footballing gods will leave West Ham rock bottom.

Obviously i'm biased towards wanting to see Bielsa in the premier league, but voiding a season that is 3 quarters through as opposed to settling it now seems to make less sense. Yeah it's unfair on Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich they don't get 9-10 more games to prove they're good enough to stay up, but they've not necessarily shown that in the 28-29 games they've had. They've all spent the majority of the season in the relegation places.

Like it isn't fair on Man United (if Man City overturn the Champions League ban) to not have more games to jump ahead of Chelsea in the table to get 4th spot..but then they've had a dozen chances to do that and kept failing so fair enough.

• Upvote 1

Scenes on twitter with Southamption and Man City :lol: 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Obviously i'm biased towards wanting to see Bielsa in the premier league, but voiding a season that is 3 quarters through as opposed to settling it now seems to make less sense. Yeah it's unfair on Bournemouth, Villa and Norwich they don't get 9-10 more games to prove they're good enough to stay up, but they've not necessarily shown that in the 28-29 games they've had. They've all spent the majority of the season in the relegation places.

Like it isn't fair on Man United (if Man City overturn the Champions League ban) to not have more games to jump ahead of Chelsea in the table to get 4th spot..but then they've had a dozen chances to do that and kept failing so fair enough.

What about the teams vying for play off places ? 

I really don’t know how this one can be settled , there are going to be winners and losers . It might end up going to a vote from the clubs .

. I don’t have a horse in this race btw , my team is mid table championship .

4 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Obviously they are bricking it at the possibility of being relegated. Using her contacts in the media to take advantage of the current situation to put pressure to cancel the season to save their necks is a low. 

I fully expect Euro 2020 to be delayed till next year and the domestic leagues to resume by May. Hopefully the footballing gods will leave West Ham rock bottom.

The problem with resuming the season in May is that a lot of lower league team operate on season long contracts for players . So come the end of May a lot of teams might have completely different teams . And what does that mean for transfer windows etc ? 

of course the bigger problem is for clubs that rely on gate receipts to survive , cutting 25% off their revenue could see a number of clubs go under . 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

What about the teams vying for play off places ? 

No play offs, the current third placed team gets it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

No play offs, the current third placed team gets it. 

In League 2, 3 go up automatically. Exeter are 4th and Cheltenham are 5th. Cheltenham have a game in hand and are a point below them with a +15 better goal difference.

I'm in the "Cancel the FA and EFL cups" camp.

Do that now and privately plan how you'll finish the season with that out of the way.

Really we should ditch the CL/EL for the season now as well.  Prioritise domestic leagues.

--

Other wild plan, allow this season to go on, and declare next season to have only 1 set of matches, you either play a team home or away not both.

All of these plans are going to piss some people off.

They are hopefully game theorying a load of options now, but until there’s more solid information about when things can start again it’s probably best not to settle on a plan. The bit where UEFA and all the domestic associations and leagues have to agree will be a tricky one. 

I know no-one likes the 'Premier League ruined football' guy, but instead of working out if Liverpool play Man City in the summer or not to clarify mathematically that they should be granted the title (just give them the title I mean, come on), I'd much rather there were plans being put in place to save the clubs that will go under due to this.

A lot of teams outside the prem barely cling on as it is. Losing these gate receipts will see them plunge into administration and cease to exist. 

Cancelling the CL and Europa League is harsh on those still in it, but maybe can be offset by redistributing the remaining prize money equally. Border controls might dictate cancellation anyway, so don’t think UEFA really have a choice Vs government controls.

Even as a Red that’s waited 30 years, can’t hand Liverpool the title; the club hasn’t officially won it. And ‘winning’ it with a permanent asterisk would be hollow. At best, think the season resumes in a month or so, with games behind closed doors and a ban on public screenings. Again though, this could be moot if things really go to shit and the government overrules any proposal. At that point, football will be but a footnote.

The EFL will be hit hardest. At least teams still in European comps and the top-flight have revenue streams to cover a disruption. Plenty of lower-league clubs are staring at a bleak future*, which even if the club survives, plenty of staff will face uncertainties over their jobs.

With the ripple effect, would be very surprised if next season starts on time. Perhaps the EFL Cup, and possibly the FA Cup, get suspended or reduced (no FA Cup replays at all), no Charity Shield, no Super Cups or World Club Championship and the new season is delayed albeit with a little more space in the calendar. Clubs with internationals away for qualifiers may have to do what rugby does and play on without core players from their squads. Unusual but everything is going to be just that for the foreseeable future.

*I know that’s insignificant in the wider public picture but this is the football thread