rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

When it's inevitably reduced what they should do is make City start from the first qualifying round for the next two seasons they qualify for the Champions League so even through they will still make it this will prevent them going on money spinning pre season tours and ruins their pre season.

• Upvote 1

The evidence against City is damning. I’m sure they’ll try and tie the whole legal case in knots but the emails that were leaked clearly show their misdemeanours. I’ve nothing against them but they fraudulently broke the rules and seemingly were arrogant about ever getting caught.

1 minute ago, Stopharage said:

I wouldn't have had an issue with that being given. Seems very harsh. 

I seriously hate it. Killing it for me. Another one for us where there was no advantage at all. 

Decent game this though I think. Enjoying it other than this fucking shite system. 

Zeljko “Spider” Kalac. He was fucking awful. I remember being behind the goal when he let in a 30 yard shot from Sasa Curcic in a cup quarter final I think.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sirloin said:

Zeljko “Spider” Kalac. He was fucking awful. I remember being behind the goal when he let in a 30 yard shot from Sasa Curcic in a cup quarter final I think.

We signed him, paid the money and couldn’t play his cus of a work permit :-D

22 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I might be done with this sport

Here's a valentines day poem

Roses are red 

Leicester is blue 

Doherty is bleeding 

VAR is poo. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't the rule used to be that for you to be offside the ball had to travel forward?  Did I dream that, or did it change?  Either way, that's one of the maddest disallowed goals I've ever seen.  It's been said before, but the unintended consequence of the stupid way VAR is being used is that level is now offside.  It's making the sport worse, categorically.  Who in their right mind could possibly argue that VAR is a positive thing after the shambles we've seen this season? 

Sky Sports' own youtube channel now has a video of the top ten shit VAR decisions.  Several of my favorites aren't even on there.  There's something wrong when only halfway into the system's first season you can produce something like this with so many howlers in it.

Halaland has 9 in 6 for Dortmund, Jadon Sancho has 12 in 14 and 10 assists. 

Sancho is the old man of the pair and yet he's still a teenager.  Dortmund aren't going to have them both in the team for long but it's gonna be a fun run in to the season.  

Edited by Naysonymous
try not to type like an illiterate dolt next time.

Just now, Naysonymous said:

Halaland has 9 in 6 for Dortmund, Sancho has 12 in 14 and 10 assists.  He's the old man of the pair and he's still a teenager.  

In 14 games he has made 22 goals? That's obscene.

When is he going to Liverpool.

There's gonna be a bidding war, that's for sure. Chelsea are still sitting on the Hazard money and Sancho is a London boy and a Chelsea fan so he could go there but this summer is going to be really interesting. I wonder if any of Manchester City's superstars will be looking to move for Champions League football? 

37 minutes ago, Hamus said:

In 14 games he has made 22 goals? That's obscene.

When is he going to Liverpool.

He won't.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Didn't the rule used to be that for you to be offside the ball had to travel forward?  Did I dream that, or did it change

No, that's still the rule. I haven't seen his latest incident, anyone got a replay handy?

Wow, I love VAR. Great to have a goal disallowed which clearly showed we had a massively unfair advantage and wasn't at all a ridiculous bastardisation of the rules which makes no sense whatsoever.

What a fucking crock of shit. Should have had 6 points off Leicester this season. Thanks to 2 appalling VAR decisions we've got 2.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

No, that's still the rule. I haven't seen his latest incident, anyone got a replay handy?

As usual the videos on twitter have been taken down. Basically, Neto took the corner short to Jota, Jota played it back out towards the touchline. The ball was travelling towards the side of the pitch diagonally away from the goal-line. Neto runs back to receive the ball and cross it for the goal. As Jota played the ball back to Neto, Neto is slightly in front of Jota, and his trailing heel is a centimetre offside, despite his body being very clearly onside, and he's running back, in the direction of the halfway line. Crucially though as far as I can see, the ball is travelling away from the Leicester goal. 

I mean, the referee on the pitch had no idea why it had been disallowed or who was supposed to be offside. There's footage of Connor Cody asking Mike Dean about it at half time as they walked off, you can hear every word, and Dean clearly didn't know why he had disallowed it. That's a crazy situation and undermines the referees and the integrity of the sport as a whole. 

Edit - looking at the offside law again, there's no mention of the ball having to travel forward. Perhaps disallowing it was technically correct? I'm genuinely curious, my understanding of the offside law might be out of date again. 

• Upvote 1

I didn’t think there was a travelling forwards requirement, otherwise we would have attacks like in rugby. I don’t quite see how the rules work for corners though? Couldn’t you just defend from the halfway line and have every attacker offside.

55 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Edit - looking at the offside law again, there's no mention of the ball having to travel forward. Perhaps disallowing it was technically correct? I'm genuinely curious, my understanding of the offside law might be out of date again. 

Wow, you're right. I always assumed it was there, but not only is it not in the recent laws of the game, it wasn't in those issued in 2010 or 2001 either. Even this copy of the laws from 1968 don't mention it, nor does the copy from 1933 - rule 6, on page 170. 

Must have been something we'd picked up somewhere erroneously based on the requirement that the player be behind the ball.

There was a passing forwards requirement when the laws were first drawn up, but that's just because it was based on rugby and you weren't allowed to pass forward at all. There was an interim stage where the forward pass and the covering defenders were in play at the same time, but clearly the forward pass got dropped a lot sooner than we thought.

18 minutes ago, footle said:

I didn’t think there was a travelling forwards requirement, otherwise we would have attacks like in rugby. I don’t quite see how the rules work for corners though? Couldn’t you just defend from the halfway line and have every attacker offside.

Corners, along with throw ins and goal kicks, are explicitly exempt from the offside law. 

I'm not sure why we'd have attacks like rugby.

• Upvote 1

I'm amazed how often these offside calls are happening, I'm guessing we feel the injustice of it as in the first case it massively shit, but because in the past not even TV would have pulled them up to question them in covering the game.

Don't know about passing forward but isn't there the variation of the law once you are past the second to last defender, the ball then becomes the offside line and the player being passed to needs to be behind it (assume this means their toenails and nose hairs count).

Disallowed goal aside I didn’t think much of us or Wolves last night. Both teams looked rusty and there were an awful lot of wayward passes. Chilwell played like Maguire did once he’d found out that clubs were interested in him. If he carries on that form I’d have no concerns with him leaving for £50m at the end of the season. Vardy was a spectator and we don’t look the same without Ndidi. 

5 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

There's this under the definition of an offside position:

A player is in an offside position if:

any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

The both is important then. You can pass backwards to a player who’d otherwise be “offside”, as long as you and the ball are further up the pitch than they are.