rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

25 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

From a contractual/amortisation point of view they'd completely disregard his 27th year. 

Yeah, 'cos he was only 26 then.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

As the father of a toddler I'm still compelled to be really specific about ages. However Eriksen will be able to play precisely two league games for Inter before his 28th birthday. From a contractual/amortisation point of view they'd completely disregard his 27th year. 

Until he’s 28, he’s 27. 

(Sorry)

Everton reject £85m for Richarlison from Barca . 

is it just me or would you take their arm of grabbing that sort of money for him ?

£85m?? Bloody hell, they must be desperate. There’s a good player in there but his incessant diving is even getting on his teammates and fans’ nerves. Ideal fit for Barca then. Him and Busquets diving all over the Nou Camp.

Man United are playing a really poor team here. Totally disrespecting their betters.

• Empathy 1

Feel like that £85m for Richarlison isn’t in cash. Like Barca spent ages making bids for Coutinho that were £120m* 

*£25m up front, payments of £75m over next 3 years, interest free credit, £45m bonus to be payable on Coutinho winning the Ballon Dor, and Champions League 2 seasons running.

I’m not even exaggerating that either.

1 hour ago, Hamus said:

Man United are playing a really poor team here. Totally disrespecting their betters.

I must admit, what an idiot!

I was totally wrong.

What a great win for Man United, away from home. With ten men too. What grit. Wonderful stuff.

Ole! Ole! Ole!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

Feel like that £85m for Richarlison isn’t in cash. Like Barca spent ages making bids for Coutinho that were £120m* 

*£25m up front, payments of £75m over next 3 years, interest free credit, £45m bonus to be payable on Coutinho winning the Ballon Dor, and Champions League 2 seasons running.

I’m not even exaggerating that either.

Yeah, it's like the "£50m" fee for Martial. One of the requirements for future payments was literally him winning the balloon door. 

In this case, seeing as both clubs have said there's absolutely no truth in it, the fact that it seems utterly ridiculous, and Barcelona not actually having a huge amount to spend (they've spent most of the window trying to sell their youth team players) I reckon it's simply horseshit. 

“Needles to say, I had the last laugh”

Sander Berge has signed for Sheffield United, that feels like a pretty big signing for them. He looked good against Liverpool and is only young.

Depending upon his ability to quickly acclimatise to the Premier League he could push them onto a European place.

I see him being at Sheffield United until the Summer of 2021 at the longest before the 'bigger' teams test their resolve. Great bit of business. 

11 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

WjwNKS2.png

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

12 hours ago, Adrock said:

Sander Berge has signed for Sheffield United, that feels like a pretty big signing for them. He looked good against Liverpool and is only young.

Depending upon his ability to quickly acclimatise to the Premier League he could push them onto a European place.

I mentioned this in the Utd thread, but I was at a Genk game at the weekend and saw him play. It didn’t help that they got spanked, but he was  dire. Constantly coughing up the ball and giving his teammates under cooked passes. The reason he stood out to us is that he towers above everyone on the pitch, but with that lumbered about like a paddle steamer.

Having said all of that, I’m no scout and this post will probably age like fine milk when he’s a massive success for them. It was just a strange coincidence that we all remarked how unsuitable he looked for the Premier League and the very next morning he’s being linked with Man Utd of all teams. 

As an aside, check out the disallowed goal at around 2:10 in this video. A robbery of the highest order. 

After some of the decisions I've seen this year I don't know what counts as a robbery anymore. At first glance it looks armpit offside to me, do they use VAR in Belgium?

We couldn’t work it out if they did or not. Two goals got chalked off after a lot of deliberation and delay which sounds like VAR, but there were no announcements.

That's a tough one - if we assume the player is offside, you've still got the question of whether or not he was interfering. He did all he could to get out of the way of the ball and doesn't look to me like he touched it. But as a keeper, you'd feel his presence is making it more difficult to track the ball. Not that the keeper was ever saving that.

I'd say - robbed!

I can't wait for this fucking transfer window to close.  Wolves fans are absolutely doing my head in with endless negativity, seemingly personally offended that we haven't signed 5+ players etc etc.

Happens every window, and gets worse every time.

Do we need more players?  Yes, probably - but it's not like Football Manager when you type in the required stats and hit 'submit bid'.  Who do we sign who improves our XI who is available in this particular window, whose club are willing to do business, who fits the very specific character model we look for in new signings and who won't break the budget we have?

The January transfer window has always been a bit of a farce because teams won't do business unless they have secured replacements and like a house chain, that takes ages to go through.  Each deal has its own complications, and the whole sorry mess is crammed into 4 weeks.

Some clubs have no luck whatsoever but it's no through the want of trying - I really wish supporters would stop acting like customers.

Fans have been conditioned to think that spending money in the transfer windows is about bragging rights.  (Although my lots continued lack of willingness to spend is driving me up the wall.)

• Upvote 1

I presume part of the reason for picking up Berge is to give us more of a presence in the box for corners. We’re useless with them at the moment. Part of me is disappointed we’ve moved away from buying the best British/Irish players from the lower leagues, but I guess it had to happen at some point.

@Boothjan and the Wolves massive. 

Ryan Bennett is supposedly coming to Leicester. Seems a bit of an odd move all round. Can’t say I know a great deal about him, although I remember him playing quite a bit last season. Is he any good? Think we’re getting him in so Benkovic can be loaned out and get more experience for next season. 

Not just saying this from a Leicester POV but seems like a pretty dull transfer window all round. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

@Boothjan and the Wolves massive. 

Ryan Bennett is supposedly coming to Leicester. Seems a bit of an odd move all round. Can’t say I know a great deal about him, although I remember him playing quite a bit last season. Is he any good? Think we’re getting him in so Benkovic can be loaned out and get more experience for next season. 

Not just saying this from a Leicester POV but seems like a pretty dull transfer window all round. 

He joined us from Norwich on a free transfer mere days before Nuno was appointed.  Even though we finished mid table in the Championship and he didn't cost anything, I thought he was an uninspiring signing and wasn't convinced Nuno would use him.

I was very wrong - he's been a superb signing for us.  I think he played 34 out of 38 games for us in the Premier League last season.  He's a no nonsense centre half who is excellent in the air, makes strong, decisive tackles and won't let you down if he manages to get on the pitch.  His crunching tackle on Willian last season at Molineux - when he was the last man and Willian was about to pull the trigger - was one of the best challenges I've seen from a Wolves defender.  The reaction to it was almost as loud as a goal!

It's a good move for Bennett because he's our 6th choice defender and isn't even making it onto our bench.  Out of all the players who we play in our back 3, he's the least comfortable playing the ball out of defence which I think is why Nuno has dropped him behind the likes of Saiss, Dendoncker, even young Max Kilman who has broken through this season.  Doesn't mean he's not a good defender, but he's not as good on the deck as those ahead of him.  

The fact is, he's played 92 games for us, scored a last minute winner at Ashton Gate in the Championship in a crucial 1st v 2nd clash, has constantly silenced his detractors and now he's earned himself a move to a side who will hopefully be playing in the Champions League next season.  Oh and we've made a £5m profit on him.  Can't argue about that!!

I wish him the very best of luck - he'll get a good reception next time he's at Molineux.

• Upvote 2

Random stat from the latest ep of The Totally Football Show: 11% of Man United’s wins this season have come at the Etihad.

• Upvote 1

I thought we all agreed the league wouldn't count this season? Because of like Brexit or something.

Right?

• Upvote 3

Liverpool signing promising youngster Minamino on January 1st whilst Utd are signing Ighalo on January 31st is a great example where the clubs are right now.

Sorry not sorry for gloating bbz but I’ve waited all my life for this shit.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

This tickled me 

@Gabzy brought it to my attention on twitter. 

You know the hospital the government chose to house quarantined Brits in is in the Wirral too. Stop Liverpool by any means necessary lol.