Football Thread 2019/2020

48 minutes ago, elmo said:

yeah but Liverpool could play a team. Klopp could manage them. It’s their fault that they’ve got this replay in the first place.

i wonder how much money Shrewsbury will lose because of this dickhead decision.

There will still be a big crowd at Anfield* and they'll still get the payout. So won't lose out at all. Hell they even stand a chance of going through and getting another payday against another big club. 

Yes, it is our fault that we are in this situation, but we will put the league first this season over everything, so that is how it is. Most of the team that played Shrewsbury managed to beat Everton and was arguably stronger against Shrewsbury. I'd love for us to put out a strongest XI, but not at the expense of the drive to the league, 

This season has shown that The FA and The Premier League need to 100% get together and sort out the fixtures, as the mess that has happened this season has been coming for a long time. 

*Won't be our biggest attendance of the season, but will still be a full stadium and an experience for the Shrewsbury players and fans. 

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

There will still be a big crowd at Anfield* and they'll still get the payout. So won't lose out at all. Hell they even stand a chance of going through and getting another payday against another big club. 

*Won't be our biggest attendance of the season, but will still be a full stadium and an experience for the Shrewsbury players and fans. 

And ticket prices will be the same?

nah it’s a shithead move. People moan about the FA cup losing it magic. It’s premier league teams that’s feeding into that narrative.

Got to say, Shrewsbury will have a lot of fans that day.

Just now, elmo said:

And ticket prices will be the same?

nah it’s a shithead move. People moan about the FA cup losing it magic. It’s premier league teams that’s feeding into that narrative.

Got to say, Shrewsbury will have a lot of fans that day.

Christ knows on ticket price. Been a long time since I can afford to go. 

Again, pretty much the team that beat Everton. It should have done so against Shrewsbury. You saw at the end of the game what it meant to them, they didn't care one iota that it was against 16 year old Harvey Elliot. 18 year old Curtis Jones and Make-a-Wish Dejan Lovren. 

I would love to see us play our best XI game in, game out. But rightly or wrongly, that isn't going to happen and you can blame the powers that be for that.  

It's not often I'll defend Liverpool or the increasingly moany Klopp, and I'll deny ever doing it if challenged again in the future, but somebody needs to take a stand against the idiot scheduling to make the powers that be take notice. They need to be embarrassed or shamed into sorting things out as polite reasonable argument rarely works.

A team after their first title in 30 years, still in the Champions League and back from the World Club championship can't rank every fixture equal, and the FA cup is a side show the biggest teams pay lip service to as suits them.

What Shrewsbury did yesterday was great for them, but its the FA ruining the FA Cup by failing to act with it sat in the middle of a stupidly crowded fixture schedule and pretending its still relevant and equal billing to everything else. 

Anyway, to balance my post I hope Liverpool throw away the league to City and up the Shrews. 

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

It's not often I'll defend Liverpool or the increasingly moany Klopp, and I'll deny every doing it if challenged again in the future, but somebody needs to take a stand against the idiot scheduling to make the powers that be take notice. They need to be embarrassed or shamed into sorting things out as polite reasonable argument rarely works.

A team after their first title in 30 years, still in the Champions League and back from the World Club championship can't rank every fixture equal, and the FA cup is a side show the biggest teams pay lip service to as suits them.

What Shrewsbury did yesterday was great for them, but its the FA ruining the FA Cup by failing to act with it sat in the middle of a stupidly crowded fixture schedule and pretending its still relevant and equal billing to everything else. 

Anyway, to balance my post I hope Liverpool throw away the league to City and up the Shrews. 

I’d like to see the stats on who’s played more games this season. Shrewsbury or Liverpool.

And even if you think these professional football players are playing too much football, what’s Klopps excuse for not turning up?

personally I hope that the FA scrap the replay and put Shrewsbury in the next round. 

5 minutes ago, elmo said:

I’d like to see the stats on who’s played more games this season. Shrewsbury or Liverpool.

And even if you think these professional football players are playing too much football, what’s Klopps excuse for not turning up?

personally I hope that the FA scrap the replay and put Shrewsbury in the next round. 

They play 4 games in 11 days between Wednesday this week and the 8th February.

It is ridiculous for all teams. There are too many games, too many competitions and the money isn't spread fairly enough. It needs a proper restructuring. 

With the growth of the Women's game too, they really need to look at restructuring everything. For example Shrewsbury will likely earn more prize money from this round than the winners of the Women's FA Cup will earn total. 

Football is a mess. I think Oxford have a ridiculous schedule too, without the replay against Newcastle. (I am sure @neoELITE can offer more examples too as he did with Shrewsbury above).

I am not for one second saying the Premier League clubs should be protected. I am saying for the good of the sports The FA need to pull their heads out of their arses and sort things out for all levels. As players and teams are being run into the ground. 

48 minutes ago, elmo said:

Because he wants some time off too? I reckon he deserves it.

3 hours ago, elmo said:

Shrewsbury have played 25 league games, 6 FA Cup games (including the Liverpool match), one EFL Cup match, and four games in the EFL Trophy for a total of 36 matches.

Liverpool have played 23 times in the league, twice in the FA Cup, three times in the EFL Cup, six games in Europe, twice in the Club World Cup, plus the Community Shield and European Super Cups, for 38 in total.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Shrewsbury have played 25 league games, 6 FA Cup games (including the Liverpool match), one EFL Cup match, and four games in the EFL Trophy for a total of 36 matches.

Liverpool have played 23 times in the league, twice in the FA Cup, three times in the EFL Cup, six games in Europe, twice in the Club World Cup, plus the Community Shield and European Super Cups, for 38 in total.

That’s even ignoring the travel between games in Europe and to the world club cup as well as the greater intensity of these matches. 

It’s just fan tribalism having a pop at Liverpool who of course will prioritise their first league title in 30yrs and their champions league defence over risking tired players in a game against Shrewsbury. I mean that’s just common sense and every other fan would expect their club to do the same. 

Are people seriously defending Klopp saying he can't be arsed to manage his team for the replay? Obviously it's fair for him to complain about the amount of football in England, and it's sensible to rest players, but what possible reason can there be for the manager to not show up? It's ridiculous.

If you’re playing the u23 doesn’t it make sense for their manager who sees them every day to manage them during the tie than Klopp who does not?

As for the number of games a lot of Liverpool players did not get a summer break due to the Copa America and AFCON.

That’s pretty thin. I think the amount of fixtures needs looking at and player welfare isn’t exactly a priority at the moment, but Klopp swerving managing a game is ludicrous. If you’re going to undermine the competition that much you may as well bin it off altogether like Man Utd did that time. Fixture congestion is a reality of top-level sport. There needs to be a constructive conversation about how to fix it, not just sacking games off because it’s convenient to do so. 

Klopp has been great but he’s had a nightmare here.

4 hours ago, elmo said:

hahaha

You laugh but his job is probably the most stressful job at the club, like it will be for all managers. Managers are the first port of call when the players don't perform and the ones that face losing their jobs. They don't just turn up for training and games and go home, they do a hell a of a lot more than the players too. I'd be more inclined to give managers more time off than players to be honest. You can clearly see on the faces of some managers (especially the under pressure ones) just how much toll the job takes out of them. Just look at Mourinho the start of the United job and at the end.

Anyway, I'm alright with the U23 manager taking charge, it's his team after all, he works with them all the time. If it was Klopp, he'd only have 2 days with them to prepare anyway. 

It'd be nice to be able to give his squad a winter break and then go on one himself, maybe take the family on holiday for a week.

This has been manufactured by the Premier League as a method to force through their agenda of dropping cup games out of the schedule as much as possible and it's working because pundits and journalists are lining up to demand an end to replays and scrapping of the League Cup.

I reckon the League Cup should exclude the Champions/Europa league teams. They’re the ones who do the moaning. 

FA Cup should still have everyone, though. We need non-league teams on a run up against the biggest fish in the pond, it’s good for the soul. 

That’s always a hard sell for the EFL though, their rights will drop in value by loads immediately. That’s why all the ways of cutting down fixtures struggle to stand a chance, ultimately.

Fifth Round Draw

Sheffield Wednesday v Manchester City

Reading or Cardiff City v Sheffield United

Chelsea v Shrewsbury Town or Liverpool

West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United or Oxford United

Leicester City v Coventry City or Birmingham City

Northampton Town or Derby County v Manchester United

Southampton or Tottenham Hotspur v Norwich City

Portsmouth v Bournemouth or Arsenal

I doubt Shrewsbury will care about facing the u23s at Anfield when a win gets them a game at Stamford Bridge.

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

I reckon the League Cup should exclude the Champions/Europa league teams. They’re the ones who do the moaning. 

I agree but its not just the fixture congestion, it would also mean wed get new winners. In the last 20 years only 5 teams outside the traditional "top 6" (well before this season) have won it

Leicester, Blackburn, Boro, Swansea, and Birmingham.

Man City have been in the final 4 of the last 6 years and look to make it 5 out the last 7 this season.

Re Klopp - the better move, besides just keeping quiet, would to have said Neil Critchley will be assistant manager by his side for the night. Behind the scenes, the U23s get their usual set-up and Klopp dodges a dumb amount of flak.

One idea for attempting to reduce backlog around the FA Cup that might work is, if both sides agree pre-kick-off, ties that end in a draw are settled by penalties on the day. Bin off extra time as that probably gives top flight sides more of an advantage anyway.

When even Championship sides are fielding reserves so as to not risk damaging potential promotion / avoid a backlog duration a relegation battle, there either needs to be an actual discussion between the FA / Premier League or everyone stops whinging and Man City’s reserves keep winning both cups for the next decade.