rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

That's surprising given the market and the fact that he was valued much, much higher a year or two ago.  Good bit of business though.

That's a cracking price for such a good player.  For some reason I thought he was a bit younger than 29, but he's got three or four good seasons left in him I'm sure. 

It's more than £5m (the genuinely 'in the know' guy on our forum says we've recouped the £8-10m we paid for him) but still a bargain. I think it's likely that price as he did right by us signing a new contract so we wouldn't lose him for free in the summer, in return we've probably taken a slight hit on what we would've otherwise asked to get him the move he wants. Slightly surprised he didn't hold out to see if there's interest from elsewhere since he might just end up in the same conundrum again in six months but obviously he's happy down there.

If only some of the other absolute cunts we signed in the Premier League had conducted themselves half as well as he has. We'd be in a much better place and they likely would've secured better moves for themselves. A top man and easily one of our best ever players.

• Upvote 2

I think maybe one of the reasons he chose us was that he's now playing alongside Maty Ryan and I understand they were childhood friends back in Sydney. It may not be the only reason but I suspect when you're thousands of miles from home, having a link is possibly quite important. Even if it was £10m it's not a dreadful price given his creativity. Now all we need is someone capable of scoring off the chances he, Gross and Trossard create.

• Upvote 1

I presume the loan fee for this season plus the £5m mean Huddersfield break even on the entire deal. Maybe it's even structured like this to avoid giving Manchester City some kind of sell on fee. 

3 hours ago, bear said:

So what's Nuno going to do when the Europa League resumes? Looking at the fixture list they have two massive games before that in Man Utd and Leicester while everyone around them also has fixtures where dropping points wouldn't be a surprise.

If Wolves close the gap to Chelsea slightly before the Espanyol game should they put all their eggs in one basket and focus on the league? 

Sheffield Uniteds February and March fixtures look the kindest of the lot. 

No chance will he sacrifice Europe. I think it's far more likely that we have a bloody good go at that as opposed to thinking about the top 6. 

Europe has been our priority this season and I daresay some pretty big clubs will want to avoid drawing us.

Personally, I think the top 4 is a step too far for us at the moment - we're not at the stage where we should be thinking about it as a realistic aim. Some of our fans are getting a bit carried away! Top 6 is doable. It would be incredible but possibly still a bit of a stretch for the numbers we have. Another 7th placed finish would be excellent.

I'd rather we focus on Europe because when we click, I firmly believe we have a genuine chance. We're getting 2 key players back fit (Jota and Boly) and look to be bringing in Daniel Podence from Olympiakos who should add extra firepower to our frontline so why not dare to dream?

• Upvote 2

Yeah I'm sure the loan fee factors in somewhere, but apparently the £5m quoted is 'wrong'. I'd misremembered too, he said we actually made more than we originally paid.

If it's £10m or so it's still a great deal considering he's never had any pace so should have a good few years left in him playing at a similar level. His age might actually end up being a weird bonus if he retires from international duty because he was always pretty fucked for us after that. Since we rarely played well when he didn't, our fixtures straight after Australia matches were generally a bit of a write-off.

There's an irritating tendency among a lot of our fans to give Wagner all the credit for the good years we had and none of the responsibility for what's happened since but Mooy alone discredits that because Wagner didn't want to sign him and had to be talked into giving him a chance. Incredible really since pretty much everyone in the crowd knew we'd found a cheat code for the Championship within a few minutes of watching him play.

There's been a lot of 'thank fuck we've got rid of them' lately but just praise and gratitude all round for this guy.

16 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

There's been a lot of 'thank fuck we've got rid of them' lately but just praise and gratitude all round for this guy.

As someone's who has lost track of Hudds since they dropped, I'm curious - who's on the shitlist? Billing, I can guess (he put his feet up before the season even ended), but who else?

*rubs hands together*

There's probably a decent book to be written on how to mismanage your top flight opportunity and construct a poisonous dressing room on a budget using us a case study. Siewert was a terrible appointment but he could've been the second coming of Alex Ferguson and it wouldn't have mattered - supposedly seven players were knocking on the chairman's door asking for moves before he'd even taken a training session.

Spoilered for length since it's probably not of interest to most:

Billing: As you say, but there'd been issues with his attitude behind the scenes from youth level upwards. Supposedly the first thing he did on signing a pro contract was take a couple of trainees to the Trafford Centre to carry his bags :lol:. Frequently took his bat and ball home, put in basic effort during matches only when he felt like it, angled for moves his performances didn't really deserve, spoke out publicly in the press against his manager etc. etc. Very talented lad but only when he fancies it, which is rarely. There'd previously been interest from much bigger clubs than Bournemouth so only really fucked himself over in the end.

Zanka: Came back from the World Cup thinking he was Franco Baresi despite being rightfully singled out as Denmark's weak link by practically every pundit going. In and out of the team due to attitude issues, public 'come and get me' pleas in the press to tumbleweed reactions.

Lossl: Third of the Danish shithouses and the same as above really except he only sat on their bench at the World Cup. Returned overweight and being a bit of a twat over his contract. Enough of a twat that Wagner preferred to play Ben bloody Hamer over him to make a point despite Hamer being directly responsible for at least one conceded goal a game when he played. Infuriated Dean Hoyle by visibly not attempting to save something because he didn't want to risk hurting his hand while negotiating a move away.

Kongolo: Talent-wise a Premier League player every day of the week but didn't fancy it once signed permanently. Played like he couldn't be arsed the past year or so until eventually banished from the squad while taking home massive wages. Got himself a loan move to Fulham when he really should be doing better than that, so well done him I suppose.

Diakhaby: There might be a player in there somewhere as he's had a few seconds total of playing for us where he's done things that look almost world class. The rest of his time makes those moments look like flukes though. That wouldn't be enough on its own really but there was always a basic lack of effort too and he was eventually banished after the Cowley's ran out of patience, possibly with something else going on behind the scenes.

Mbenza: As with Diakhaby but even worse and costing even more money. Has been banished for god knows how long and as it stands we can't get rid of him.

Sobhi: Probably doesn't deserve to be on here as his only real confirmed crime is not being very good but still, an expensive fuck up we could do with shifting permanently.

Depoitre: Was a hero for his first year but returned at the start of last season massively overweight and his effort levels when on the pitch were pretty much a total disgrace. Moaned about the lack of toilet facilities at the training ground once he'd fucked off.

Sabiri: Arrived as a bit of a problem child and remained that way with countless rumours of his antics. Was supposedly finally banished after insulting someone's young daughter at a corporate event.

Puncheon: Impressive effort this for a loan player. Came in with Palace fans singing his praises as a good influence etc. Literally could not run anymore, had a scrap with someone on the training pitch and was sent back. Amazingly this brief saga alone cost us £2m.

Pritchard: Jury's out but seems to be claiming he's not 100% and refusing to play at the moment. Imagine he'll have made a miraculous recovery one way or the other on February 1st.

Van la Parra: Was never not a total dick as the Wolves guys will probably agree since he left them under a cloud having digs at their fans. His diving was bad enough but he also caused loads of problems behind the scenes (rumours of him shagging Wagner's daughter are as yet unproved), spoke in the press about wanting to play for a bigger club as soon as relegation looked likely despite him being a fairly poor player in Premier League terms. Also an annoying habit of shit stirring on social media. Went on a big 'woe is me, I want to play for the club even though they've treated me really badly and I really love the fans' charm offensive to try and get back in the team then comically fucked off to Belgrade only days later with the transfer somehow confirmed in the middle of a match in which he was actually playing. Was totally worth this just to see the looks on the faces of the 'FREE VLP' types.

I think that about covers it. Quite therapeutic actually.

Having previously had a transfer record of less than £2m when in this division we've had about £50m worth of talent either out on loan or banished for the majority of this season whilst often having to patch the first team up and chuck the kids in at the deep end. Terrifying really, especially since a lot of this wasn't hard to see coming. If we haven't done a Sunderland come the end of the season it'll have to be seen as a big success.

• Upvote 8

It other news, the winter break in the Swiss Challenge league (the second tier) is over and tonight, FcSchaffhausen plays FcLausanneSports. We're about 3 points away from the bottom place, Lausanne leads, so what could possibly go wrong? I'll find out later! 

My bet is the catering, the game and the catering. And yes, it's usually so bad that mentioning it twice is a compliment.

9 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Just bought a ticket for West Ham v Albion tomorrow as I live next door. Fist game I’ve been to as a neutral in decades. Should be a laugh. 

Can't they both lose? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Plissken said:

Which reminded me of this from the other night.   Which I've seen about 167 times and it keeps getting funnier every time I see it.

I tell you what... that's GIRAFFE DEFENDING. Get yer head in the sand yer bloody giraffe. I mean ostrich. Ostrich defending. Head in the bloody sand.

[Several sentences later]

Ostrich defending, that is. What am I on about, bloody giraffes? If we... if we... if we were giraffes, we'd bloody... we would've have bloody stopped it.

Classic Goldbridge. If Steve Coogan hadn't invented him already, someone else would have to.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Plissken said:

I swear, even if this is a parody character, it's bloody magnificent.

I'm not sure how he managed it, but that's even better. 

He’s just gone and scored an absolute bloody… TWAT! TWAT! Oh, you CANNOT believe this. You WON’T believe this. You will NOT believe THIS. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, we’ve been mauled. By a… shark. Not a tiger. It’s bloody… it’s one of them.

:lol:

8 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I don't get this. They basically had the chance to dominate possession, get some goals and breed confidence against a struggling League 1 side. 

Watford played a midweek match against Aston Villa, Tuesday evening wasn't it? So that was 48 hours between matches.

That was never enough time to recover properly and the players already have confidence from the run of results they've had in the Premier League.

29 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Watford played a midweek match against Aston Villa, Tuesday evening wasn't it? So that was 48 hours between matches.

That was never enough time to recover properly and the players already have confidence from the run of results they've had in the Premier League.

Sorry but players should be able to play a few games a week. 48hours is more than enough. They've got a squad. Drop three or four but not the entire starting eleven. 

They're all paid enough. Most players will train 5 or 6 times a week.

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Can't they both lose? 

Lose? We've already lost :(

Still, having three teams in claret and blue in the Prem was a bit much. We'll have less competition in the Championship next season.

5 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Sorry but players should be able to play a few games a week. 48hours is more than enough. They've got a squad. Drop three or four but not the entire starting eleven. 

I think we've probably been through this on numerous occasions in the past. Nobody has ever questioned the ability of modern professionals to play games in quick succession but the quality almost certainly drops and the risk of injury increases.

At the elite level of football, all professional ranks, the difference between an adequately rested player and one who has recovered over 48 hours may only be 5%. But that's enough to give the well rested team an advantage in my opinion.

• Upvote 5

Erling Haaland watch:  He's scored another two off of the bench tonight.  That's five goals in 59 minutes in the league for Dortmund.  He's on 34 for the season (15 Austrian league, 4 Austrian Cup,  8 Champions League, 5 German League) and he's still only 19 years of age.   Born in the famous Norwegian city of Leeds, he's got to be headed to the Premier League one day, right? 

7 hours ago, neoELITE said:

In a vacuum that makes sense, but when competing against other squads who will have adequately rested players then the argument starts to fall down.  Yeah you can be fit to run around for 90 minutes three times a week if it's literally your job to be in peak physical condition but you won't be able to run around as much as the guys who only have to do it twice a week who are working to make sure they finish above you in the league.  Big squads are important and they have been for a long time.  

• Upvote 3

They can see it in the data from the player GPS trackers, how a player hits an accumulated fatigue red zone and their distance and intensity drops - they track sprints at different levels and in particular its the high level recovery running that the modern pressing game requires that drops off significantly.

So the intensity goes and then the increased chance of injury is present as we see with all the muscle injuries at present. These guys are elite athletes, not going down the park to play with their mates.

The money argument is always idiotic - its not about money or playing thru it (in most cases, if you've got a bad finger and aren't a goalie wrap it up and get on with it) - if I paid any forum member £10m and shouted at them a lot they wouldn't be able to beat Usain Bolt in a 100m race - that doesn't make them lazy. 

• Upvote 5

I see that after years of managers complaining about the lack of a winter break in the Premier League, one of them is now complaining about the timing of it.  It's almost as you can't win with these people.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

I see that after years of managers complaining about the lack of a winter break in the Premier League, one of them is now complaining about the timing of it.  It's almost as you can't win with these people.

depends, is this manager previously on record requesting it?

10 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Erling Haaland watch:  He's scored another two off of the bench tonight.  That's five goals in 59 minutes in the league for Dortmund.  He's on 34 for the season (15 Austrian league, 4 Austrian Cup,  8 Champions League, 5 German League) and he's still only 19 years of age.   Born in the famous Norwegian city of Leeds, he's got to be headed to the Premier League one day, right? 

He had said in the past is his dream to win the league with Leeds. Not sure he meant the Championship though. :lol:

12 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Bürki, the Dortmund keeper commented in the aftermatch interview that he was disappointed. Haaland had 3 goals in the first game, two in that one - what's next, only one goal in a game? :lol:

• Upvote 1