Jump to content
rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, cowfields said:

Well as a Newcastle fan, tonight has been interesting. 

 

If I were a Newcastle fan I'd be very worried, they were probably the worst team I've ever seen play live and only Almiron and Dubravka can escape with any credit (well, I suppose you'd have to give some to Lejeune too!). As a team, they just didn't look bothered, or capable of being up for much anything. Set up very defensively from the start, and while 2-0 down two defensive subs were made (Krafth, then Lejeune on). Then after that, your only striker was taken off for another defender (Schar), which, even with Joelinton being utterly useless, made little difference. Saying that I still can't process what happened at the end - late sub Tom Davies in particular has an awful lot to answer for, with both goals - but then so does the whole team for not seeing out what must otherwise be one of the simplest games they'll ever have played in. Just goes to show you can't afford to take the boot off the throat, something that isn't being learnt it would seem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Huge win for Villa. Just wish I'd been there to ask Troy Deeney what the score was.  

 

Just shows how big a part of our team Sarr has become. After we scored we went far too negative. Need him back urgently, everything was going far too swimmingly there for a while! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stefcha said:

 

If I were a Newcastle fan I'd be very worried, they were probably the worst team I've ever seen play live and only Almiron and Dubravka can escape with any credit (well, I suppose you'd have to give some to Lejeune too!). As a team, they just didn't look bothered, or capable of being up for much anything. Set up very defensively from the start, and while 2-0 down two defensive subs were made (Krafth, then Lejeune on). Then after that, your only striker was taken off for another defender (Schar), which, even with Joelinton being utterly useless, made little difference. Saying that I still can't process what happened at the end - late sub Tom Davies in particular has an awful lot to answer for, with both goals - but then so does the whole team for not seeing out what must otherwise be one of the simplest games they'll ever have played in. Just goes to show you can't afford to take the boot off the throat, something that isn't being learnt it would seem.

 

Yes don't get me wrong, it was a frustrating match to watch. They were slow when they had the ball and kept getting dispossessed when they should have been able to mount an attack. I've seen better from them for definite.

 

It's not the easiest team to support with Mike Ashley there and it'd be nice if he invested in the club or better yet just sold it to someone who cares. 

 

It's not nice going to a match, wanting to enjoy it, but feeling like you're crossing a picket line by giving him money. Ah well. All that said it was sad when Perez, Rondon and Rafa left but things haven't been so bad this season in terms of relegation worry, so maybe Steve Bruce is generally doing a good job. 

 

But I would prefer victories to be victories and not last minute accidents like last night or the Chelsea game! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

 

Just shows how big a part of our team Sarr has become. After we scored we went far too negative. Need him back urgently, everything was going far too swimmingly there for a while! 

 

Aye. Injuries can be the difference between staying up and going down. We lost John McGinn for 4 months in December and then Tom Heaton and Wesley for the season away at Burnley (we've not had a recognised striker in the team for four games now) so I was shitting it. Some new guy called Mbwana Samatta has signed subject to work permit so hopefully he'll be in the team for our trip to Bournemouth as that's another six pointer for us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The referee in the Leicester game is absolutely diabolical. Getting to the point where both sides are complaining about everything as he's so shite. Got the feeling of one of those games where it will boil over because of his ineptitude. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn’t a shock that Man U are losing at home again. Leicester will be 14 points clear of 5th. CL is on for the foxes next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baring said:

It isn’t a shock that Man U are losing at home again. Leicester will be 14 points clear of 5th. CL is on for the foxes next season. 

 

That 14 point lead for Leicester is probably safer than Liverpool's 13 +2 games in hand looking at the league at the moment. 

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plissken said:

I know that we've been in the Premier League for four seasons now but I've never been able to get a ticket for this one as we usually sells the allocation out before it gets to my points level. So time to enter the Theatre of Leveraged Capitalism (TM)A7259A5F-62DA-4C2F-BD6A-A34B5FA183C3.jpeg.068866a4e42cc3dfa1a8c1e1d6cd1492.jpeg

Decent timing that mate. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Decent timing that mate. 

 

Reckon you lot will be the big winners this week and put yourself in full contention for the European Cup qualifying spot!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

Reckon you lot will be the big winners this week and put yourself in full contention for the European Cup qualifying spot!

A draw puts us 5th, which is mad as we’ve only won one game this year and can’t keep a clean sheet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

A draw puts us 5th, which is mad as we’ve only won one game this year and can’t keep a clean sheet. 

Just like Spurs then.

 

The battle for 4th is going to be the only exciting left at the top end of the table.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought the question that nailed OGS at Utd was on the Totally Football podcast months ago - they asked how far do you need to go down the league pyramid to find a club that would take OGS as their manager from Utd - it's almost always been the case during his time in charge you drop well into the Championship. Its an interesting question of any manager at a point in time actually.

 

He's got that haunted look about him too now when somebody is way out of their depth - just don't get why they are leaving him sat there like this, its painful. You've got Poch waiting to go if reports are correct and he can bed himself in for a few months this season now its almost a write off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liverpool have been very lucky this season. Not just with the appointment of Ole :lol:

 

They surely must have a wheel fall off at some point, there is no way they will go the season unbeaten. I feel it will come in the next two Prem games.

 

Put money on it tonight! Half time/full time Liverpool/Wolves!

  • Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I see Ole looking haunted on the touch line like some Vietnam vet thousand yard stare I always see this Simpsons classic image

 

ffa1e089b8328988dde39800fc003bca6a6d488d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some random thoughts, because everything online is about United losing and not Burnley winning.

This was a repeat of the home game va Liverpool that ended 2-0 early in Klopps reign. 2016, I think. Dyche knew how the opposition would play, the players put the defensive work in and took their chances when presented. They could be playing this morning and United still wouldn't score. I began to relax a bit when they started shooting from 20 yards due to running out of ideas. Wood does what Wood does (he'd even given prior warning a few minutes earlier). Even sweeter that the free kick came from Phil Jones smashing into Wood because he'd lost a fair battle a few seconds earlier.

Jay Rod was magnificent and absolutely everywhere. He makes us play the football that we can play. The problem with Ashley Barnes is that when you've got a battering ram, every problem looks like an locked oak door. Jay Rod gives us speed and forces us to play on the ground. That second goal is fast triangles to create space and the split second of disbelief after he blasted the ball into Defour Corner will stay with me for a long, long time. Anti-football!

Having been 2-0 up for the last three games at OT and last year with five minutes left to go and being dicked over by two goals that wouldn't have survived VAR, there was still a bit of worry when Shaw came on the pitch dressed in a tent sized pair of shorts and Jesse Lingard joined him dressed in wetsuit and snorkel. We've seen this story before, we know how it ends. But this time it didn't and we even got the sight of a home goal being chalked off by Jon Moss. Truly these are the end times.

OT doesn't have a toxic atmosphere. It has no atmosphere. There is no intimidation for the opposition any more and a total disconnect between the club and the fans. And for all the money being spent, the PA system is absolutely fucking awful. It's the little things like that that make a difference. Coupled with the lack of a replay screen, then the various VAR checks were even more unknowable. Staff and stewards were very nice though. £3.50 for a programme was a pleasant surprise.

Mike Phelan standing in the technical area for 70 minutes before OGS took over. Weird. Harry Maguire comprehensively outplayed by his opposite number, who cost less than 1% of his transfer fee from City's academy. Martial is the best definition of a false nine that I've seen. Phil Jones is the silent slapstick clown of football. De Gea must wonder what could have been.

I know it was a league game and I know Burnley are sort of Premier League regulars at this point but at the end there were plenty of faces showing a mixture of tears and utter disbelief. Football, fucking hell.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Interesting net spend article - some of these clubs have been spectacular in how badly they've spent money and the sheer scale of the mismanagement going on

 

https://www.football365.com/news/europes-biggest-net-spends-since-2015-liverpool-29th

 

That Man City figure is ridiculous. They still haven't won the UCL either.

When Pep is moaning about squads etc it's very hollow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Net spend is all well and good but these sort of articles really should start focusing on how much clubs really spend on their squads, namely wages plus transfer spending. 

 

For instance Liverpool are 29th in that list, where would they be if wages were brought in to the discussion? 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hamus said:

Liverpool have been very lucky this season. Not just with the appointment of Ole :lol:

 

They surely must have a wheel fall off at some point, there is no way they will go the season unbeaten. I feel it will come in the next two Prem games.

 

Put money on it tonight! Half time/full time Liverpool/Wolves!


If we’re winning at half time we won’t lose. That’s even rarer than us actually losing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Interesting net spend article - some of these clubs have been spectacular in how badly they've spent money and the sheer scale of the mismanagement going on

 

https://www.football365.com/news/europes-biggest-net-spends-since-2015-liverpool-29th

We can't be 10th. That's ridiculous. There must be a mathematical error somewhere. The most we've spent on a player is £20m. But I guess we've bought a lot maybe. I'm not even sure how we're ahead of Wolves and where the likes of Villa and Fulham are.

 

It certainly doesn't feel like we've spent that much given we've just lost to Bournemouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brighton are impressive in how many big fees they've paid for people who I don't recall playing much - plus you are one of those clubs who don't receive big fees for any of these players (not alone on that front)

 

Propper €13m, Izquierdo €15m, Locadia €17m, Bernardo €10m, Bissouma €17m, Jahanbakhsh €19m, Trossard €20m, Webster €22m, Maupay €22m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locadia genuinely didn't play that much be cause he was more focussed on his Soundcloud rapper career. Izquierdo got injured playing for Colombia in the last world cup and still hasn't recovered. Bernardo, Bissouma and Trossard have all had fairly lengthy injury spells but are back and playing. Everyone is subject to Guardiola-style rotation without the benefit of being as talented as that squad.

 

But soon we'll have Mooy for £5m and our very own Scottish Argentinian in Alexis MacAllister. Plus getting Ben White back from Leeds will be a bonus.

 

I also recognise that outside of Palace fans, no one really has an opinion on Brighton other than we're playing more attractive football than last year but still not winning. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interjecting because enough wasn’t made of Den Haag’s glorious banner for their new boss Alan Pardew the past weekend. Just look at it.

 

D4C1D09C-4E4D-48B9-A1D6-AD10D1D42AC6.jpeg

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Plissken said:

OT doesn't have a toxic atmosphere. It has no atmosphere. There is no intimidation for the opposition any more and a total disconnect between the club and the fans. And for all the money being spent, the PA system is absolutely fucking awful. 

Every time I’ve been to OT, it’s largely down to the away fans to bring the atmosphere. However, Utd’s away support is brilliant. When they’ve come to the King Power they’ve been superb and really added to the sense of occasion. 
 

I’ve not been to OT for 2 seasons but if the various footie podcasts are to be believed it’s in need of a bit of tlc. Not going to come from the Glazers, I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.