rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

I simply never get what people find so good about those Squires cartoons - always leave me utterly cold. 

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 2

None of em - just not my thing - but you know what its like when you don't get something and see people going 'spectacular' you just think what am I not seeing here that others are.

There's definitely a lot of "aha! I recognise that reference!" to them, but I really like them nevertheless. I guess that for example if you don't spend much time on Twitter then some of the jokes would pass straight by you.

1 hour ago, milko said:

There's definitely a lot of "aha! I recognise that reference!" to them,

I think it’s more the way the references are actually witty rather than just ‘there’. They feel both incredibly obvious, to the point where you can’t believe nobody’s made the joke before, and take you completely by surprise.

The thing about Squires’ strips is there is an awful lot going on in the background. Look at the two wolves in the first panel of this week’s effort. And they also require a wider knowledge than just that week’s events. The ostrich comments, the American Werewolf links throughout, Nige’s wolf encounters etc. 

Wonderful stuff. 

I'd not heard the story about Pearson's Transylvanian wolf battering adventures before reading but that was all set up in frame 1 so the Ronaldo gag, with the perfect hunter's look on Pearson's face as Ronnie protests his innocence, was a belter regardless of any prior knowledge. Maybe I'm just easily amused. 

What match are you lot watching? Got Sheffield United vs Man City on and United are giving a very good account of themselves.

Just throwing it out there but is anyone else hoping that Bournemouth stay up purely because of how much of a div that Matt fellow is being about them on the Totally Football Show? 

I love David Luiz.  Although on this occasion I love him more in opposition.

He'll always do something amazing, it's just a dice roll who it benefits.

That said, I was under the impression you didn't give a red card and a penalty these days.

57 minutes ago, Adrock said:

What match are you lot watching? Got Sheffield United vs Man City on and United are giving a very good account of themselves.

Too late for tonight’s games but trying to work out the best service to watch via VPN. NBC’s coverage in the US isn’t too shabby, and can get all games for a reasonable amount.

18 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I love David Luiz.  Although on this occasion I love him more in opposition.

He'll always do something amazing, it's just a dice roll who it benefits.

That said, I was under the impression you didn't give a red card and a penalty these days.

It's a yellow only if the defender makes a genuine attempt to win the ball. Luis categorically didn't do that. The div.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Swallow said:

It's a yellow only if the defender makes a genuine attempt to win the ball. Luis categorically didn't do that. The div.

Yeah NBC said as much and equally yeah, they've got him bang to rights on that one.

Huge win for Villa. Just wish I'd been there to ask Troy Deeney what the score was.  

Edited by Naysonymous
damnyouautocorrect
  • Upvote 1

Martinelli, in the few games I've seen him this season, looks like a very good prospect. I recall him causing Liverpool grief earlier in the season. Arsenal fans will be thankful to have someone like that coming through.

7 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Martinelli, in the few games I've seen him this season, looks like a very good prospect. I recall him causing Liverpool grief earlier in the season. Arsenal fans will be thankful to have someone like that coming through.

Problem Arsenal will have, is how long it takes them to get back up the league. Otherwise they risk losing him. 

17 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Problem Arsenal will have, is how long it takes them to get back up the league. Otherwise they risk losing him. 

Nah, the problem with Arsenal is they always try and walk it in.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Adrock said:

I was at Bramall Lane tonight as a neutral. It was a class game the atmosphere was as good as it gets, especially for a team that lost. The blades never stopped singing and willing their team on, it was great to see. The players worked so hard to close City down and every tackle was greeted with cheers. City are so experienced in the dark arts they really got everything out of the ref. Fernandinho is so clever at what he does (basically cheating). The ref was atrocious and got plenty of deserved stick. 

At one point Aguero basically stopped the game himself because he wanted a free kick and booking for a foul on Sterling. Was proper comical from the ref. 

Also I just love KDB. What a player. His passing is something else. Easily my favourite player and I’ve been lucky to see him twice this year for free :D 

• Upvote 1

I was also at the Lane. Feels like a point dropped. Decent battling performance, but that doesn’t necessarily get you points. Another decent performance from Fleck. Let’s hope we can get back to winning ways at palace.

Palace doing a Palace and following up a hard fought draw at the Etihad with a zero shots on target, zero corners performance against Southampton.

Southampton were decent enough, but far from the best side we'd played this season, I think we will struggle to put kn a worse performance this season.

Zaha apparently poked Ward-Prowse in the face at half-time, Zaha needs to grow the fuck up. (Ward-Prowse is a snidey cunt still)