rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Spurs "can't find" evidence of their fans racism.

Spurs claim they can monitor every fan.

Spurs say they're not saying Rudigar lied.

Surely 1 of these 3 is a lie?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dudley said:

They might not be able to monitor all fans all of the time I guess. 

Or they’re lying. 

• Downvote 1

If they get past Bristol, Cov have Birmingham at home.

Because of course they fucking do.

Bournemouth breathe a sigh of relief after Arsenal score. Not Bournemouth Football Club but the town. 

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1990/may/08/football-violence-bournemouth

The Secretary of State for the Home Department (Mr. David Waddington) 

Last Saturday a second division football match took place at Dean Court, Boscombe, between Bournemouth and Leeds United. I understand from the chief constable of Dorset, whom I have asked for a full report, that there was serious disorder in the town over the entire weekend, mainly involving Leeds supporters. To date, 104 arrests have been made and criminal damage totalling around £40,000 has been reported. Many police officers were hurt, and 12 received serious injuries.

The scenes of violent disorder witnessed in Bournemouth were absolutely disgraceful. I extend my sympathy to all those police officers who were injured and to all the law-abiding people who suffered as a consequence of the behaviour of vicious hooligans. Once again, the police had to bear the brunt of a ferocious attack, and conducted themselves with great courage and professionalism. In other towns also, they had to cope with hooligan behaviour.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

The most obvious explanation is that it was an honest mistake and that there wasn't actually any racist chanting. 

Rudiger made the complaint in good faith. It's been investigated and no evidence has been found. I believe the stadium has the best CCTV of any ground in the country. It would still (I imagine) be hard to catch a solitary offender unless it was persistent. 

Not really sure what more the club or police could do. 

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

The most obvious explanation is that it was an honest mistake and that there wasn't actually any racist chanting. 

Rudiger made the complaint in good faith. It's been investigated and no evidence has been found. I believe the stadium has the best CCTV of any ground in the country. It would still (I imagine) be hard to catch a solitary offender unless it was persistent. 

Not really sure what more the club or police could do. 

This is the internet age, genuine mistakes do not happen.

• Upvote 1

I think it'd be tricky to "mistake" sustained monkey noises. It's not like we're alleging one incident of "Oi! Rudigar you n"

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I think it'd be tricky to "mistake" sustained monkey noises. It's not like we're alleging one incident of "Oi! Rudigar you n"

There is no evidence of sustained monkey noises. I'm not saying it definitely didn't happen but with the lack of any evidence it would be very hard to prove. 

Is it also that they aren't able to discern in a crowd full of fans who are generally shouting constantly through a game, which of those might have been making monkey sounds? Which of them might just have been booing?

As Stroppy says, it's about evidence, although I do feel like "can monitor every fan" is a stretch.

Well I'm fully prepared for that one to be the lie of course but it's what they claimed.  It's the most likely one because the only other possible conclusions are "Spurs are covering up their own racisms" or "Toni was lying".

My guess is they were somewhat missold their CCTV and they've just found that out.

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Well I'm fully prepared for that one to be the lie of course but it's what they claimed.  It's the most likely one because the only other possible conclusions are "Spurs are covering up their own racisms" or "Toni was lying".

My guess is they were somewhat missold their CCTV and they've just found that out.

You are ignoring the fact Rudiger might have been honestly mistaken. The only person found to be doing anything racist was a Chelsea fan. A spurs fan also threw something and has been banned I believe. 

3 hours ago, cowfields said:

Is it also that they aren't able to discern in a crowd full of fans who are generally shouting constantly through a game, which of those might have been making monkey sounds? Which of them might just have been booing?

As Stroppy says, it's about evidence, although I do feel like "can monitor every fan" is a stretch.

Who is this 'Stroppy'? 

• Upvote 1

Monitoring fans isn't the same as being able to hear audio from every single one. It probably means they have cameras, if they can't clearly see someone repeatedly making gestures it might be difficult to catch them.

21 hours ago, Adrock said:

Monitoring fans isn't the same as being able to hear audio from every single one. It probably means they have cameras, if they can't clearly see someone repeatedly making gestures it might be difficult to catch them.

They were using professional lipreaders, so not relying on audio. Obviously that makes it more complicated but having individual audio for everyone in the stadium would be impossible. 

They also made it clear that they found nothing to contradict Rudiger's claim, just not to confirm it. 

More about it here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/51012632

• Upvote 2

Leicester’s first XI vs a Villa team with Neil Taylor in midfield and Anwar El Ghazi at centre forward.  Let’s just say I’m not confident.  

Great result for Villa. Decent chance getting to a cup final. 

The more striking figure there is how much Man Utd have spent in the last half decade on garbage.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Here is the same sort of visualisation for points

’top of the all time Premier League points scoring table, you’ll never sing that’

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1212189/

Boro well placed in that. Didn’t expect them so high but then there probably hasn’t been that many premier league sides. 

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

The more striking figure there is how much Man Utd have spent in the last half decade on garbage.

Whenever I feel bad about spending too much money on something I shouldn’t have I think of Man Utd and feel better about it. 

• Upvote 3

So, Crystal Palace have got Tosun on loan from Everton, and it looks like this might clear the way for Benteke to go back to Villa to replace Wesley. Twitter seems to be full of Villa fans excited about this.

Nostalgia is evidently one hell of a drug. The man has scored 4 PL goals in the last 2½ seasons. Amazingly, he's somehow stayed in the talent-stuffed Belgian national team throughout all that, and got a contract extension in October.