rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

The cup is not what it was but the joy of watching a 40y old score a late equaliser against a top flight team never goes out of fashion.

I know its all a bit old man but can’t believe the low bar people are now claiming pens for - they should be for proper fouls, not those pathetic ‘there was contact’ ‘he drew the foul’ incidents.

Its the same on halfway with teams plans (Arsenal guilty of this a lot) Based on somebody going down like a sack of spuds to give a foothold to build an attack.

I don’t want the old days of achilles snappers not even being fouls and Maradona getting cortisone before every game but all perspective of what a foul is seems lost in modern football.

That is never an incident in the Wolves game that is deserving of a free hit from the pen spot.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gotters said:

The cup is not what it was but the joy of watching a 40y old score a late equaliser against a top flight team never goes out of fashion.

I’ve just left the King Power and a 3rd Round tie under the flood lights was still pretty magical. Was my wife and youngest’s first game at the KP and my wife’s face lit up when the ‘ you’re shit, ahhhh’ chants began. Simple pleasures. 

• Upvote 2

Was at t'Turf for the game against Peterborough and despite the low crowd, it still felt a little bit different.  For the first time in 30 years (on and off) of following the Clarets, I sat in the Cricket Field Stand, rickety wooden seats and all.  It's behind a goal and next to the away fans, so it was nice to hear the chants going back and forth.  Still not used to my lot being the "big" team in the tie and the scalp that the others are hoping to take.

The game was entertaining, although over as a contest when Burnley went 3-0 up in the first 23 minutes.  The visitors gave a good account of themselves and Clarets weren't exactly rock like in defence.  With 8 changes, it was a chance for some to shine.  Unfortunately Matt Lowton had a bit of a mare, messing up a simple header back to Joe Hart to let Toney in for a well taken goal.  Burnley's second was a peach - the ball was sprayed out left to Erik Pieters and with Johan Burg Gudmundsson outside him in acres of space I was yelling "Out wide! Play it out wide".  Pieters chested the ball down and hit it first time into the bottom corner from 30 yards.  So what the hell do I know.

Ended 4-2.  If both sides had taken their chances, it would have been 8-3 or something.  Tenner to get in, quid for a programme, a new perspective on the play (I was close to the front and central enough to see the subtle interactions and close control of the players in the penalty area).  I tell you what though, todays League One players are light years ahead of their equivalents from twenty years ago.

• Upvote 4

50 years ago this season Chelsea first won the FA Cup, In respect to that the team are wearing a special edition kit for the competition.

chelsea_football_clubs_50th_anniversary_

chelsea_football_clubs_50th_anniversary_

Shot_05_047_16X9_92807.jpg

• Upvote 5

Chelsea should keep that kit for the rest of the season.

Would like to see more clubs doing retro kits like US sports do, and not just the cheap rehashes that get sold in club shops for £30. Auction them off for charity, get some positive press and look good doing it.

• Upvote 1

It's a lot easier do to in the US where leagues are a closed shop with one supplier for all of the teams and they don't have to worry about shirt sponsors either. 

Minamino first action in a Liverpool shirt in opening minute is to dive and appeal for a Free kick - he’ll fit right in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

3 hours ago, glb said:

Chelsea should keep that kit for the rest of the season.
Would like to see more clubs doing retro kits like US sports do, and not just the cheap rehashes that get sold in club shops for £30. Auction them off for charity, get some positive press and look good doing it.

Yeah its an ace shirt. The NFL throwback jerseys are awesome and sometimes tottally different colours to present/iconic use. I like the Steelers "bumblebee" ones 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, McFly said:

Yeah its an ace shirt. The NFL throwback jerseys are awesome and sometimes tottally different colours to present/iconic use. I like the Steelers "bumblebee" ones 

Oh yeah, that bumblebee top is fantastic. Was happy just seeing Miami go back to their old logo albeit for only a game. Fulham should do that, their old crest was great compared to the PES one they have now.

• Upvote 1

The Chelsea shirt looked bloody fantastic in person. Actually slightly surreal watching a modern team play with no shirt sponsor or names.

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The Chelsea shirt looked bloody fantastic in person. Actually slightly surreal watching a modern team play with no shirt sponsor or names.

I thought it has one (sponsor), just coloured to match the shirt (same as we (West Ham) had with our Thames Ironworks shirt a few seasons back).

• Upvote 1

West Ham are winning but they've not really deserved it. There's a lot of players on that pitch who need a kick up the arse. Not as bad as Everton. Richarlison was terrible. £50m and probably on a six figure weekly wage. 

Not a good day for the Premier League.

47 minutes ago, Scruff said:

I thought it has one (sponsor), just coloured to match the shirt (same as we (West Ham) had with our Thames Ironworks shirt a few seasons back).

yeah it’s on there as kind of a ‘laminated sheen’ for want of a better description. 

Weirdly ambivalent to Villa going out. Given the state of our squad at the moment I guess seeing that Dean Smith's response to going 2-1 down was to bring on two 18 year old substitutes for their debuts makes sense. I suspect we might see a similarly weak side get crushed by Leicester in the league cup semi final on Wednesday night.  

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Scruff said:

Fair enough, you couldn't see that from the stand at all.

12 hours ago, milko said:

yeah it’s on there as kind of a ‘laminated sheen’ for want of a better description. 

Laminated shite, I'd go with. Sponsors' logos are a blight on the modern day football kit.

With the exception of when Die Toten Hosen sponsored Fortuna Düsseldorf.

Spoiler

iAsQ0fM.png

Rayo Vallecano were sponsored by a bee about 15 years ago. Apparently it was local radio or something, but I just loved the fact that it was a bee with no obvious context.  

SmartSelect_20200106-094804_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 03/01/2020 at 11:28, Steely said:

Looks like my boys (Boro) are going to let Randolf go this window, I wouldn't be surprised to see Villa come in for him, he's a very good keeper but our young keeper has stepped up in his absence and we are pretty skint.

I know we are skint, but for fuck sake, 4 million in the current market for one of the best goalkeepers in the league. Bloody hell Boro. :seanr:

Fourth round draw

Watford or Tranmere Rovers v Wolverhampton Wanderers or Manchester United
Hull City v Chelsea
Southampton v Middlesbrough or Tottenham Hotspur
QPR v Sheffield Wednesday
Bournemouth v Arsenal or Leeds
Northampton Town v Derby County
Brentford v Leicester City
Millwall v Sheffield United
Reading or Blackpool v Cardiff City or Carlisle United
West Ham United v West Bromwich Albion
Burnley v Norwich City