Jump to content
rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll be seeing much more Liverpool fans around the place. That’s the price of success, you pick up a fuck load of fair weather fans. No difference to City, Chelsea and United’s prawn sandwich brigade previously. 
 

It is amusing that Shimmy believes there to be legions of Liverpool fans who have been hiding in the fair flung areas of the universe, laying dormant, waiting for the order from the evil emperor Klopp, heir to the throne of the despicable Shankley, to rise up. 30yrs in the darkness, behind closed curtains, waiting, biding their time... Some have risen prematurely, Shimmyhill senses it, a 40yr old man in the weatherspoons wearing a red shirt barely concealing his stomach, ‘Salah’ in bold letters across his back. A child running along the town centre all in red, a shiver runs down Shimmyhill’s spine, somehow they’ve learned the dark art of transferring themselves into younger hosts!!! He feels the final order coming and there is no hope...

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty much the same age (40) as the glory hunting Liverpool brigade and I think them winning the league will be much like turning 40 was, the dread you experience in anticipation of it is far worse than the reality. Yeah, I've got family members who are suddenly a lot more interested in football than they were three or four years ago, but they won the Champions League last season and their fans were well natured about it. The league will generate more noise but whatever, this team is so good and so entertaining that they are utterly deserving of the title.  

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Yeah, I’m sure I’ll be seeing much more Liverpool fans around the place. That’s the price of success, you pick up a fuck load of fair weather fans. No difference to City, Chelsea and United’s prawn sandwich brigade previously. 
 

It is amusing that Shimmy believes there to be legions of Liverpool fans who have been hiding in the fair flung areas of the universe, laying dormant, waiting for the order from the evil emperor Klopp, heir to the throne of the despicable Shankley, to rise up. 30yrs in the darkness, behind closed curtains, waiting, biding their time... Some have risen prematurely, Shimmyhill senses it, a 40yr old man in the weatherspoons wearing a red shirt barely concealing his stomach, ‘Salah’ in bold letters across his back. A child running along the town centre all in red, a shiver runs down Shimmyhill’s spine, somehow they’ve learned the dark art of transferring themselves into younger hosts!!! He feels the final order coming and there is no hope...


Are you in the same pub as me, come and say hi - I’ll introduce you to the Norwich branch of the LDF ;) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brighton might have just lost to the tightest of tight VAR calls for offside yet. Shame, it was followed by a proper shit goalmouth scramble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bournemouth really need a decent run of results now. They play the bottom five in the coming weeks, which will obviously make or break their season.

 

Brighton looked comfortable throughout. Hope they establish themselves as a solid Premier League club in the coming years. Great ground, good support and a huge catchment area to thrive in.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:


Are you in the same pub as me, come and say hi - I’ll introduce you to the Norwich branch of the LDF ;) 


I’m down Norwich now and then. I’ll accept your invitation ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:


I’m down Norwich now and then. I’ll accept your invitation ;)


Cool, meet you in the spoons by Carrow road! I’m about to head to Carrow road to watch Spurs lose to the bottom of the league team.... :hmm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, glb said:

Bournemouth really need a decent run of results now. They play the bottom five in the coming weeks, which will obviously make or break their season.

 

 

 

Really wouldn't be surprised to see Bournemouth go down this season sadly.  Think they'll become one of those teams that are too good for the championship, but not good enough for the premier league.  Think the combo of that run they've just had + injuries is what's done them this time.  Bound to happen sooner or later :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

 

Really wouldn't be surprised to see Bournemouth go down this season sadly.  Think they'll become one of those teams that are too good for the championship, but not good enough for the premier league.  Think the combo of that run they've just had + injuries is what's done them this time.  Bound to happen sooner or later :(


Yeah, they’ve been ridiculously unfortunate with injuries, which has compounded their slump. Hope they dig their way out of trouble. Considering their fans were collecting coins in buckets to try and stave off going bust only a decade ago, being in the top flight is a minor miracle (appreciate they’ve had investment since, but they’re still a pretty small club all things considered)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't be more neutral in this game and still VAR managed to thoroughly piss me off. What an absolute mess they've made of this. I mean, I was always a bit sceptical about it, but even then I never would have imagined such a poor implementation, and this is after revising things at least a couple of times already. Ruining football in its current form.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Go by the feet and that is onside. 

 

They need to change this rule ASAP. It is bullshit. 

But you can score with all parts of your body except your arms.... It's tricky to resolve. The technology means we can get it down to this stupidly accurate level but it feels wrong to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

But you can score with all parts of your body except your arms.... It's tricky to resolve. The technology means we can get it down to this stupidly accurate level but it feels wrong to me. 

We're still yet to see a replay which actually shows any part of him to be offside, too. The bloke pressing the buttons must have seen SOMETHING so why isn't it on TV, let alone at the ground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a spurs fan. I would have preferred Pukki got that goal. It's ruining the sport. His feet were so far onside but the lint on his shoulder as he leant forward gave him an unfair advantage? 

 

Bull. Shit. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

But you can score with all parts of your body except your arms.... It's tricky to resolve. The technology means we can get it down to this stupidly accurate level but it feels wrong to me. 

 

So? Don't punish a player for leaning further, or being more on it. Use the feet as the marker and let the rest slide. Daylight between the the furthest back foot of the attacker and the furthest forward foot of the defender and it is offside. Even if there is only a mm in it. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best I've heard recently is the idea that if the VAR official can't see the offside clearly within a couple of replays the benefit of any doubt is given to the attacker.

 

Offside armpits are a travesty.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you imagine this rule being applied to tennis serves? If a foot is over the line, its a fault. But are they spending minutes drawing lines trying to figure out if its a fault because a racket was too far. It'd be ridiculous. 

 

Anyway. 

 

ERIKSSOOOOONNNNN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

So? Don't punish a player for leaning further, or being more on it. Use the feet as the marker and let the rest slide. Daylight between the the furthest back foot of the attacker and the furthest forward foot of the defender and it is offside. Even if there is only a mm in it. 

Measuring daylight then becomes another ludicrously daft exercise in incompetence. We should have left it for the linesman. Probably. I don't know anymore!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Measuring daylight then becomes another ludicrously daft exercise in incompetence. We should have left it for the linesman. Probably. I don't know anymore!

 

VAR is a good technology run by imbeciles. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.