rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

Doesn’t matter how much he connects - kicking out toward opponent is the red card offence

His third red in 2019.

Yeah that’s what I meant. An interesting discussion but ultimately irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Not that sort of lad Son.

He’d only been sent off once is his career before he was sent off against Bournemouth and has now been sent off twice (with one rescinded) since then. For the nicest guy in football it’s been quite a last 9 months.

Would be a very different match a couple of years back with no VAR.  no Chelsea penalty, 11 on 11.

Yeah, my farage and Johnson supporting dad just texted he’s amazed there’s racist chanting in 2019.

Self awareness fail there, I changed the subject.

• Upvote 2

So... 

If it is outside the box, it is a freekick to Spurs. If it was inside, it'd be a freekick to Chelsea for offside :lol: 

Need to sort that aspect of VAR our. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it would have been to Chelsea’s benefit for Zouma to give away a penalty,

no wonder no one understands the rules.

I have disturbing visions of spurs equalising in the added time caused by them channelling labarte.

• Upvote 1

Robbie Earle on NBC says Chelsea should have walked off.

i see his point, especially as a former player in the worse era but realistically the process was going to be followed.

Robbie Earle genuinely emotional talking about his history in the game in this regard, the FA would do well to watch that tape.

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Robbie Earle genuinely emotional talking about his history in the game in this regard, the FA would do well to watch that tape.

Somebody should walk off. But let's face it the FA would completely fuck up the response. 

• Upvote 1

Do you punish the teams? If so then start docking them points, or making them play behind closed doors. 

Because I honestly don't think punishing the individuals is working and it will get worse and worse. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

It really is. But it's not surprising at all. 

Sick of it all. Genuinely makes me sad.

• Empathy 1

7 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Do you punish the teams? If so then start docking them points, or making them play behind closed doors. 

Because I honestly don't think punishing the individuals is working and it will get worse and worse. 

You ban a racist from football but they will still walk around being a racist. There isn't an easy solution. It's utterly depressing. 

17 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I think punishing teams by docking points would make it worse. It’d turn into a ‘tactic’ for fans to turn up in opponent’s shirts and be a dick to get some points taken off them. It’d be rife. 

Should put the picture of whoever does it up on the big screen with a huge message saying ‘This guy is a racist and you’re officially allowed to all kick the shit out of him’. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, bradigor said:

That was Robbie Mustoe’s suggestion, start closing sections for a period of time.

If you drop litter, drink on public transport, or break other small laws you can be fined.

Why not give these people a criminal record AND a £1000 fine when found guilty.

12 hours ago, bradigor said:

The issue I have with this type of punishment is it's like when you had a shit teacher at school. One kid (or a small group) is being a dick and you all get punished. There are still little pockets of racism in the stands but I've been at games in the last few years where any incidence of this has been jeered and dealt with. 

Publicise who it is. The guy a few weeks back was named and suspended by his company.  I have no issue with that at all. You're in public, breaking the law, face the punishments. Sack the guy if needs be; if he did that at work the Equality Act (and other laws) would do for him. Then, a spot of restorative justice. Get him to meet with BAME players from his own team so he can justify his actions. Yesterday, Spurs had Sanchez, Aurier, Sissoko, Lucas Moura, Alli and Son all playing who I'm sure could give some insight into racist treatment they've received. Then send the guy to a local primary school to explain why racism - and his racism - is wrong. 

Attitudes like this belong in the past and the sooner these numb-skulls get the message, the better. 

• Upvote 1

The problem is, that yes, attitudes like this belong in the past. However with the way politics has gone in the last half a decade, these attitudes are coming to the fore again. 

Ideally you'd name and shame and take action against the individuals, but I honestly don't think that is going to work in the bigger picture. I wish it would and I hope I am wrong. 

28 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Publicise who it is. The guy a few weeks back was named and suspended by his company.  I have no issue with that at all. You're in public, breaking the law, face the punishments. Sack the guy if needs be; if he did that at work the Equality Act (and other laws) would do for him. Then, a spot of restorative justice. Get him to meet with BAME players from his own team so he can justify his actions. Yesterday, Spurs had Sanchez, Aurier, Sissoko, Lucas Moura, Alli and Son all playing who I'm sure could give some insight into racist treatment they've received. Then send the guy to a local primary school to explain why racism - and his racism - is wrong. 

They actually cut to a break on NBC finally after about 80 minutes including the half because Robbie Earle was struggling to talk about his own experiences, that was the most upsetting part of the whole day for me.

Sometimes the crowd take care of it themselves, I found myself in the loud area at Stamford Bridge for a match against a Hungarian side last year and some idiot attempted to start up a Tommy Robinson chant and go through about 2 words before someone else yelled "Our best played is Belgian you <words>".

Didn't hear from him again.

Ah found it.

Or if you want to watch the whole discussion.

And kudos to NBC for a) sticking with this for 10 minutes after already showing an ad free half despite being US TV and b) for then sticking the whole thing up unedited on twitter.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

The end is a proper odd statement to make.  

Came to post the same thing. Fuck sake Sky, make a stand. Well done Gary Neville too. 

• Upvote 2