rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

Re Watford Leicester. Extraordinarily, the same thing happened a few weeks prior, with the same referee, in charge. That time, Doncaster’s late winner won them the League One title.

Basically, in 2013 if you didn’t score a decisive goal after your opponents missed a penalty given by Michael Oliver, you weren’t doing football properly.

• Upvote 1

QPR at home, May 2014. With Derby and Brighton drawing earlier in the day, three points would secure a promotion back into the Premier League. Possibly the closest runin for the Championship, with Clarets, Brighton and Boro swapping in and out of the top two places.  When Sam Vokes scored in the second half, the screaming I did was positively primal, part of 20,000 people doing a cathartic release of about 10 weeks of pent-up tension.

12 hours ago, milko said:

That sprung to mind for me too, but the Beeb thing is English-football-specific. So yes, it has to be Leicester despite there not being a specific 'moment' for it all to hang from.

You say that, but here in York I was listening to the Chelsea/Spurs game on the radio, and right about when Hazard equalised* there was a massive explosion from the sky, like reality had just broken.

Sonic booms heard as RAF scrambles Typhoons http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36188979

That created quite a memorable moment for me, at any rate!

Always thought the passenger jet pilot who wasn’t responding to radio was probably just glued to the match himself. 

* this is how I remember it, and I’d be fascinated to know if the timings line up.

FIFA are considering allowing cross-border leagues.

Normally, FIFA (and UEFA) require every member state to have its own national league, and that a team only participates in that. There are exceptions - the Welsh teams in the English system, Derry City in the Republic of Ireland, AS Monaco, and Liechtenstein not having its own league due to the paucity of clubs.

Now they're reconsidering based on the gap that's opening up between the big boys and the rest. The creation of stronger competitions outside of the big five could well lead to a more varied and competitive Champions League. On the other hand, we could end up with shitty closed shops and fewer away fans at matches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

No corruption, but Qatar is hosting the Club World Cup for two years, because they need the practice before hosting a World Cup?

Yes, though since it left Japan, hosting has always been in two year blocks.

Total xG for the first half between Bournemouth and Burnley - 0.05

Judging by the commentary, the only thing of interest is that Clarets have got sick of Bournemouth diving all over the place and decided to boot them up in the air anyway.  Might as well get done for a lion as for a lamb.

You've got billionaires investing a fortune to employ the best managers and teams to create free-flowing beautiful football full of style, sophistication and elegance.

But they will never know the delight of going to the other end of the country, playing in the pouring rain, scoring the winner with the only shot on goal of the game for both sides and taking home three points when neither side deserved one, let alone all three.  Long live Shithouse FC.  Can't wait to see Eddie Howes confused "how did I lose to them again?" face on MOTD.  (Last in the running order, naturally.)

Got my Twitter bingo card at the ready!

image.thumb.png.16da1735b5993838b6841e10f8279896.png

• Upvote 1

18 games down, one point more than Arsenal and scored one goal less. At this point, I'm embracing the Dark Side.

(Actually looking at the table, the top three have GD of +28, +29 and +28, next best Spurs on +8.  For comparison, Man Utd have scored 26 and Arsenal 24.)

24 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Would just like to say, Norwich fans were the best home fans I’ve seen this season. Very impressed by the team too, impressive midfield, Defense played well, and just fantastic movement from Puki

What a difference a week makes...