rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

19 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

Everyone excited for the M23 derby tonight?

Palace are currently decimated in terms of defenders, and with 14 goals scored this season (second lowest) best I can hope for is an incompetent Brighton performance and for us to nick a goal.

Should be a cracking atmosphere, only taking one of the kids as the younger one struggled with the Bournemouth night game and this is a bit later, the eldest is pretty excited.

It’s a derby that fascinates me. No real logic to the geographical nature of it, but sometimes that’s just the way it as and there is real prime beef between the two clubs. Under the lights too, should be a belter for neutrals (I hope).

12 minutes ago, glb said:

It’s a derby that fascinates me. No real logic to the geographical nature of it, but sometimes that’s just the way it as and there is real prime beef between the two clubs. Under the lights too, should be a belter for neutrals (I hope).

I'm nowhere near old enough to be connected to the really lairy days (70s), but by nature of being a Palace fan have been conditioned to despise the scumbags from the south coast.

It's never middle of the road, it's either a dreadful game devoid of much in the way of entertainment or enjoyment or an absolute belter.

I'm hoping for another one of these (was dating a Brighton fan at time and sent her regular text updates, the relationship didn't last...):

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Espanyol in Last 32. Happy with that. Looking for flights

How did Braga look in the group stage? Great results and goals scored for, at a cursory glance.

Their domestic position had me initially thinking this was quite a favourable draw for us, but their Europa form suggests they’re no mugs.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

How did Braga look in the group stage? Great results and goals scored for, at a cursory glance.

Their domestic position had me initially thinking this was quite a favourable draw for us, but their Europa form suggests they’re no mugs.

Braga are decent. I wasn’t at the home leg but I was at the away one, they have some tricky wide and forward players that you’ll need to be aware of. Paulinho looked good, as did their left winger/forward. 

They were lucky to top the group, they had a bit of luck in both games against us. I’d give Rangers a decent shot. 

Big thing to look out for though is their police. Absolute cunts. 

7 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

If you're making a trip of it then could it be worth getting a flight to Valencia, Zaragoza or Perpignan and taking the train into Barcelona?  (Possibly even Madrid?)

Cheers chap not a bad idea

Not sure what to make of this.  Seria A have launched an anti-racism poster campaign, using images of monkeys.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50814275

The artist apparently uses monkeys in all his art, but also says he decided to use monkeys in these campaigns after seeing Kalidou Koulibaly being called a monkey during a game he was attending.  :wacko:

I mean, at least they're sort of trying, but it's difficult to imagine how you'd get things much more wrong than this.

• Upvote 2

Everton are less of a basket case than Napoli and this is a big appointment if it’s confined. I expect Kean will be very happy to see him in charge assuming he doesn’t force a move in January.

Palace's first half dreadful, this is going south quickly, 32% possession at home FFS...

I'd stick money on 2 - 0 Brighton, Dunk (twat) 49th minute and Murray in the 83rd.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Everton are less of a basket case than Napoli and this is a big appointment if it’s confined. I expect Kean will be very happy to see him in charge assuming he doesn’t force a move in January.

But I thought Big Dunc was going to be the permanent manager!  I mean, he's already shown he's tough enough to make the big decisions in a match, such as taking Moise Kean off eighteen minutes after bringing him on, thus cleverly destroying the confidence of a nineteen year old kid the club spent £25m on in the summer.  With man-management skills like that he would have rocketed them up the table.  He even took his jacket off in the rain!  what more does the man have to do? 

2 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

But I thought Big Dunc was going to be the permanent manager!  I mean, he's already shown he's tough enough to make the big decisions in a match, such as taking Moise Kean off eighteen minutes after bringing him on, thus cleverly destroying the confidence of a nineteen year old kid the club spent £25m on in the summer.  With man-management skills like that he would have rocketed them up the table.  He even took his jacket off in the rain!  what more does the man have to do? 

Tbf you’ve got to be beating teams like Man Utd, I think that’s where he lost his chance to become perm.

• Upvote 1

We even scored one for them to give them a head start.  Must have been embarassing for them.  Strange Klopp didn't get the sack when he could only manage the same result against us.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

We even scored one for them to give them a head start.  Must have been embarassing for them.  Strange Klopp didn't get the sack when he could only manage the same result against us.

Too fucking right. Liverpool are shite under Klopp. Last season we were within a point of City, now it is 14 points. Just not good enough. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

Palace's first half dreadful, this is going south quickly, 32% possession at home FFS...

I'd stick money on 2 - 0 Brighton, Dunk (twat) 49th minute and Murray in the 83rd.

That was a bigger robbery than the one at Tamara Ecclestone's house, Brighton fans must be fuming that they didn't finish us off in the 70 minutes we were utter shite.

Zaha playing well again now January is rolling around, I just hope we reinvest the money wisely...

Gutted that we didn't get 3 points out of Palace.

In terms of a crisp passing game with a plan and creating chances we were superb for the first 70 at least. Can't deny that Zaha's goal was a belter but onwards and upwards to a glorious 15th place finish at the end of the season.

Not sure why we didn't stick Murray on for the last 10 given that he's pretty reliable at scoring against Palace.

He adds a dimension which we were missing with Locadia & Andone in that he can score goals meaning we don't have to rely on Lewis Dunk and Shane Duffy. His positioning is pretty decent as is his finishing although neither are anywhere near world class but they're much better than what we had.

But more than that he appears to be fitting in with the philosophy. I've only seen him be visibly annoyed with his own team a handful of times unlike Knockeart or Andone.

Whilst Wesley isn't fabulous (or Marvellous, even) Villa do at least have goals coming from elsewhere in a fairly reliable manner. You've just got to finish about Norwich, Watford and Southampton, which, whilst not certain, is likely I think.

Incredible stat for El Buffalo :wub: 

First player to score 14 European goals before Christmas. 

Most goals in a single UEFA men's club competition season (including qualifying):

18 Radamel Falcao (Porto, 2010/11 UEFA Europa League)
17 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2013/14 UEFA Champions League)
16 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2015/16 UEFA Champions League)
15 Jürgen Klinsmann (Bayern München, 1995/96 UEFA Cup)
15 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2017/18 UEFA Champions League)
14 José Altafini (AC Milan, 1962/63 European Champion Clubs' Cup)
14 Lothar Emmerich (Borussia Dortmund, 1965/66 European Cup Winners' Cup)
14 Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke, 2011/12 UEFA Europa League)
14 Lionel Messi (Barcelona, 2011/12 UEFA Champions League)
14 Alfredo Morelos (Rangers, 2019/20 UEFA Europa League)
14 Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, 2002/03 UEFA Champions League)
14 John Wark (Ipswich Town, 1980/81 UEFA Cup)

:lol:

Come on, Big Buff! Stick around in January for 4 more goals in the next round and beyond to go top of this list of nobodies!

Forget Messi and all that. Those same 4 goals would also see him overtake Ally McCoist as Rangers record European goalscorer :o 

What a guy!

8A824886-EAC7-40E1-84F3-B1E6F7D0F535.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It’s almost as if his next-level goal scoring prowess has begun to change the whole narrative around him. Granted, there’ll always be some wee nyaff Scottish ref out to make a name for himself where the Buff is concerned, but fuck them!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Gutted that we didn't get 3 points out of Palace.

In terms of a crisp passing game with a plan and creating chances we were superb for the first 70 at least. Can't deny that Zaha's goal was a belter but onwards and upwards to a glorious 15th place finish at the end of the season.

Not sure why we didn't stick Murray on for the last 10 given that he's pretty reliable at scoring against Palace.

You really should have destroyed us, we were garbage until Hodgson brought Meyer on as a creative outlet to 'unlock' Zaha.

I'm not looking forward to the return fixture at your soulless plastic bowl, although if Arsenal are on telly the same night most of your new "fans" will be absent ;)

There were reports of Zaha in intense friendly conversation with Potter after the game. Might be nothing but a move between our clubs isn't going to win him many popularity contests.

It wouldn't be as destructive to Palace as Chelsea triggering Nathan Ake's buy back clause and further decimating their defence though.

22 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

There were reports of Zaha in intense friendly conversation with Potter after the game. Might be nothing but a move between our clubs isn't going to win him many popularity contests.

It wouldn't be as destructive to Palace as Chelsea triggering Nathan Ake's buy back clause and further decimating their defence though.

He's not been overly kind about you over the years, I cant see it happening myself.

As sad as I will be to lose him, we need to get on and build a less one dimensional team (and get some younger players in the team), given the healthy points position we are in (which will hopefully be better by mid-January), this might be the least risky time to let go, we can get a loan or two in to get through the rest of the season with a well planned rebuild in the summer.