rllmuk
gospvg

Football Thread 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

You leave the England Captain alone!

Hide contents

Like the officials. Eh? Eh? Is this on?

Ref had to run over to ask him if he minded being booked for this one. 

2 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Ref had to run over to ask him if he minded being booked for this one. 

I mean it looks like a booking. Which he got. I'm not sure what more you could ask for.

4 yellow cards each and wolves gave away more fouls....

38 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I mean it looks like a booking. Which he got. I'm not sure what more you could ask for.

4 yellow cards each and wolves gave away more fouls....

The ref definitely gave more free kicks for Spurs, I’d agree with that. 

The bit that is annoying is the targeting of Adama. Spurs were clearly employing rotational fouling of him. The three in the second half were nasty and designed to take the player down not the ball. 

Each got a yellow card yes, rotational fouling is a shitty bending of the rules, it’s unsporting and not nice to endure. 

In the picture I posted Kane made no attempt to win the ball. 

Adama has played 26 games this season and 24 players have been booked against him, teams are struggling to cope with him so he’s just getting hacked down. 

Hes becoming some player though, a real joy to watch. I’ll be at Norwich next weekend, can’t wait to see them again. 

25 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

The ref definitely gave more free kicks for Spurs, I’d agree with that. 

The bit that is annoying is the targeting of Adama. Spurs were clearly employing rotational fouling of him. The three in the second half were nasty and designed to take the player down not the ball. 

Each got a yellow card yes, rotational fouling is a shitty bending of the rules, it’s unsporting and not nice to endure. 

In the picture I posted Kane made no attempt to win the ball. 

Adama has played 26 games this season and 24 players have been booked against him, teams are struggling to cope with him so he’s just getting hacked down. 

Hes becoming some player though, a real joy to watch. I’ll be at Norwich next weekend, can’t wait to see them again. 

The same thing happened to us when Bale was at his peak. Its happening to Grealish and Zaha. The fouls were cynical and yellow card worthy and that's how they were dealt with. 

It happens. Xabi Alonso was sublime in our midfield, yet would draw fouls all the time. Quite a few straight reds against him. 

• Upvote 1

Rotation fouling is part of the game now and the refs are quite weak on it. 

Arsenal were pathetic yesterday, managed 1 shot on target the whole match and didn't press or try much but City still felt duty bound to kick any of our players legs around halfway just to be sure, it's deeply engrained in them, they got 4 or 5 yellows in a game that barely got out of pre season friendly in Singapore heat & humidity pace.

Plus of the many dire games I've sat thru this season Wolves were one of the most cynical teams I've seen at the emirates, so take your halfway kicking and stop moaning, you're as bad as everybody else.

• Upvote 1

I'm not that bad, plus I'll always have the memory of Gunnersaurus saving a penalty from Santa Claus at half time yesterday - honestly it was the highlight of the day.

IMG_0760_mov.jpg.8383dffcddf83f750433dab33f1262dd.jpg

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

The same thing happened to us when Bale was at his peak. Its happening to Grealish and Zaha. The fouls were cynical and yellow card worthy and that's how they were dealt with. 

Guess he’ll just have to get injured then. 

I miss Adama at Boro. What an absolute joy to watch he was at times, incredibly frustrating a times as well mind, but what he does, their is nobody in the world better at, the guy is a phenomenon.

Feels like he has been around forever but he is still only 23 and improving season after season.

I didnt see the game yesterday but I saw what Brighton did to him last week, it was pretty shitty for the modern game really.

Considering the amount of times the guy gets wiped out, it only takes 1 dodgy one where his foot is planted to cause a genuine long term injury, which would be a bloody shame because these are the players you want to see. Imagine the uproar if Salah was targeted to this extent, plus he has the ankle strength of a kit kat, he wouldn't make it through 90 minutes.

Only other player I can think who was targeted like this was Hazard, when I say targeted I mean putting some proper force into these cynical fouls, like full on wipe outs, because Adama and Hazard unlike most, ride the trips, players go beyond themselves to make sure they hit the ground. :lol:

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Steely said:

I miss Adama at Boro. What an absolute joy to watch he was at times, incredibly frustrating a times as well mind, but what he does, their is nobody in the world better at, the guy is a phenomenon.

Feels like he has been around forever but he is still only 23 and improving season after season.

I didnt see the game yesterday but I saw what Brighton did to him last week, it was pretty shitty for the modern game really.

Considering the amount of times the guy gets wiped out, it only takes 1 dodgy one where his foot is planted to cause a genuine long term injury, which would be a bloody shame because these are the players you want to see. Imagine the uproar if Salah was targeted to this extent, plus he has the ankle strength of a kit kat, he wouldn't make it through 90 minutes.

Only other player I can think who was targeted like this was Hazard, when I say targeted I mean putting some proper force into these cynical fouls, like full on wipe outs, because Adama and Hazard unlike most, ride the trips, player go beyond themselves to make sure they hit the ground. :lol:

Exactly this. It’s happening every game now because defenders just can’t live with him. The refs end up protecting the fouling players rather than him. Atwell was awful yesterday. 

Apparently Pulis was fantastic for him at Boro, but the difference from last season to this is huge. He’s slowed down a little to improve his decision making and now picks out smart crosses and passes. He got one goal last season and he already has four or five this season. £18m looks a bargain. Nice guy too by all accounts. 

He’s worth the ticket price alone at the moment. Hope we can hang on to him for a while. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Guess he’ll just have to get injured then. 

What's the solution? A new 'no fouls on star players' rule? Kane gets his share of rough treatment too. The winner coming from a rather cynical foul on him.

4 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

What's the solution? A new 'no fouls on star players' rule? Kane gets his share of rough treatment too. The winner coming from a rather cynical foul on him.

I think refs need to be stronger on it. If it happens a couple of times, he should talk to the captain tell him he knows what they’re doing and the next time it happens the player walks. 

The foul that led to the winner was a bad mistake by Wolves. Adama was down with a shoulder injury that the ref completely ignored, the physio had to come on the pitch without permission. Dendoncker made a big mistake, he was caught in two minds between kicking the ball out and playing it. Silly mistake and it cost us he was rightly booked, maybe it should have been more, he wasn’t trying to play the ball either. 

The fouls were nasty yesterday on a very wet pitch. I do think the ref should have been stronger. 

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think refs need to be stronger on it. If it happens a couple of times, he should talk to the captain tell him he knows what they’re doing and the next time it happens the player walks

The foul that led to the winner was a bad mistake by Wolves. Adama was down with a shoulder injury that the ref completely ignored, the physio had to come on the pitch without permission. Dendoncker made a big mistake, he was caught in two minds between kicking the ball out and playing it. Silly mistake and it cost us he was rightly booked, maybe it should have been more, he wasn’t trying to play the ball either. 

The fouls were nasty yesterday on a very wet pitch. I do think the ref should have been stronger. 

These aren't the rules though. It would lead to bizarre situations where nobody is allowed to foul a certain player.

3 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

These aren't the rules though. It would lead to bizarre situations where nobody is allowed to foul a certain player.

Nobody is allowed to foul any players. 

Rotational fouling is a cynical bending of the rules. Fair enough if you’re ok with it, I personally don’t like it. Spurs played the ref well yesterday, I guess you could say that’s part of the game, but it’s a shitty way to win. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think refs need to be stronger on it. If it happens a couple of times, he should talk to the captain tell him he knows what they’re doing and the next time it happens the player walks. 

Sorry you've mentioned this bit a couple of times now. If the ref didn't see it as a foul, why should be be stopping the game? Only head injuries need the game stopping, other than that it is up to the players to put the ball out, or carry on playing. 

It should have been a foul yes and that needs to be looked at, but the 'he was down with an injury' bit doesn't matter here. 

Was it Stuart Atwell in charge? He is one of the most inconsistent refs in the league. Next week he'll give loads and loads of petty freekicks to both teams. 

Just now, bradigor said:

Sorry you've mentioned this bit a couple of times now. If the ref didn't see it as a foul, why should be be stopping the game? Only head injuries need the game stopping, other than that it is up to the players to put the ball out, or carry on playing. 

It should have been a foul yes and that needs to be looked at, but the 'he was down with an injury' bit doesn't matter here. 

Was it Stuart Atwell in charge? He is one of the most inconsistent refs in the league. Next week he'll give loads and loads of petty freekicks to both teams. 

This is a fair point. 

My recollection is it went on for well over a minute with the player seemingly in a lot of pain. This was Wolves’ fault really, should have kicked the ball out. It’s hard to take though as he’d clearly been hurt on his shoulder from the persistent fouling. 

For balance, Raul kicked a defender in the head against Bratislava and then went on to score the winner, so I guess it might balance out somewhat. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Nobody is allowed to foul any players. 

Rotational fouling is a cynical bending of the rules. Fair enough if you’re ok with it, I personally don’t like it. Spurs played the ref well yesterday, I guess you could say that’s part of the game, but it’s a shitty way to win. 

Nah it's football. We were lucky to win. Fouling is part of the game intentional or not. Until the rules change you just have to deal with it. 

20 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Nah it's football. We were lucky to win. Fouling is part of the game intentional or not. Until the rules change you just have to deal with it. 

This is true. It was more like American Football yesterday though. 

Really enjoyable game yesterday though. Good luck in your draw this afternoon!

20 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Can't disagree with this. Its fucking annoying because we were the side trying to play football and the only way Spurs could stop Traore was by scything him down. Cynical but frustratingly that's part of the game. 

I cannot stand Atwell though - totally agree with regards to his consistency - or lack of. How come he can share a laugh and a joke with Harry Kane but dismisses Conor Coady when he tries to talk to him? He's always done that - acts all pally with the big stars. He's also been mega lenient in the first half of games before brandishing cards around like confetti after the interval. So I guess he's annoyingly consistently inconsistent. Which is a long winded way of saying he's a fucking prat.

We were great yesterday btw - proud of the boys. We'll play far worse than that and win! 

• Upvote 1

Champions League Last 16 Draw

Dortmund Vs PSG

Real Madrid Vs Manchester City

Atalanta Vs Valencia
Atletico Madrid Vs Liverpool

Chelsea Vs Bayern Munich

Lyon Vs Juventus
Spurs Vs RB Leipzig

Napoli Vs Barcelona

Think City, Spurs and Liverpool should all progress without too many issues. Chance for Lampard’s fledgling Chelsea side to make a statement too.

• Upvote 2

Some tasty draws there. Can see a couple of upsets. 

Dortmund
City
Atalanta
Liverpool
Chelsea

Juventus

RB Leipzig
Barcelona

All to go through I think. 

Massive LOL if PSG fail to make a dent in the knockout stages. Again.

Real will fancy their tie but think City will batter them over two legs. For once I actually want City to win. Can’t stand either of Spain’s big two.

Everyone excited for the M23 derby tonight?

Palace are currently decimated in terms of defenders, and with 14 goals scored this season (second lowest) best I can hope for is an incompetent Brighton performance and for us to nick a goal.

Should be a cracking atmosphere, only taking one of the kids as the younger one struggled with the Bournemouth night game and this is a bit later, the eldest is pretty excited.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Espanyol in Last 32. Happy with that. Looking for flights

A perfect draw really. No chance I can get to the away leg but I'll be at Molineux for the home tie.

• Upvote 1