rllmuk
Stanley

Fire Emblem: Three Houses, out now

I can't see what could possibly be considered horrific about a story which sees you *checks notes* playing as a professor who grooms their high school students so they can then date them when they graduate.

• Upvote 5

Really fancy a big game to get stuck into, and this might fit the bill.  Looked around and ShopTo were doing it a for a good price, but it came with a coin in a bag, and the thought of having some extra tat around the house that I sort of feel that I should keep and not throw away actually put me off ordering it.

49 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Really fancy a big game to get stuck into, and this might fit the bill.  Looked around and ShopTo were doing it a for a good price, but it came with a coin in a bag, and the thought of having some extra tat around the house that I sort of feel that I should keep and not throw away actually put me off ordering it.

£42.99 from Smyths Toy Superstore (my 4 year old daughter says that in full every time, so now I do too.  Smyths Toy Superstore).

EDIT: Seems they are giving you a big stupid coin too.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Then I'll be filled with the nagging sense that I've thrown away something potentially valuable!

Bury it somewhere for the delight of future generations?

I pre ordered this a while back and had somehow convinced myself that release date was this Friday :doh:

I’ve not watched any videos other than last years E3 announcement.

On 09/07/2019 at 09:10, Chooch said:

£42.99 from Smyths Toy Superstore (my 4 year old daughter says that in full every time, so now I do too.  Smyths Toy Superstore).

EDIT: Seems they are giving you a big stupid coin too.

£5 if you preorder to collect from store too.

And you still get the coin.

2 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

With this game releasing next week I decided now would be a good time to write up a retrospective of the entire Fire Emblem series.
http://www.welshgaming.co.uk/fire-emblem-retrospective-part-1-the-west/

Suffice to say I am looking forward to the game and will be on it day one.

Cheers for that, this will be my first so good to know what’s going on. Apart from the direct sequels are the stories standalone across games?

I’m going to switch off permadeath in this one if you can. I’ve never finished a FE game because I’m terrified of losing a character, no matter how rubbish they may be. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

The whole 'rewind' feature this one is adding does sound like it makes that risk a lot less severe even if you don't turn off permadeath, for what it's worth...

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

Cheers for that, this will be my first so good to know what’s going on. Apart from the direct sequels are the stories standalone across games?

Almost all of the localised the games can be played as standalone stories besides Radiant Dawn. That said the games do share universes.

Echoes is set between Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem (Japan only) but takes place on a different continent with characters from Shadow Dragon making cameos. Awakening is set 2000 years after all three.
Fire Emblem GBA is a prequel to the Japan only game where you play as Roy from Smash Bros.

Sacred Stones, Fates and Three Houses are their own universes (although Fates has characters from Awakening because magic).
The Radiance games are also their own contained universe.

Also just realised I completely overlooked the rewind feature in Echoes when writing that retrospective, my bad. 

I'm amazed at how little interest there is in this game. I've never played any FE games in my life but as a major Nintendo series, I'm expecting something probably worth my time and money. Is it just that it looks a bit shit or is it nothing like the previous games or what?

It looks like Persona with RTS rather than JRPG combat to my otherwise ignorant mind. I don't much like Persona and I never enjoyed any RTS in my whole life but I don't tend to let such rationale keep me from a new full-fat Switch game, or indeed any old shite. 

I've never played a Fire Emblem game either but I'm really interested in this. I don't think lack of interest is because it looks shit (official previews and early impressions have been positively glowing) it's just not a genre that commands a lot of interest on this forum. Or, indeed, in the UK in general. There's a ton of interest in it on Resetera.

6 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I'm amazed at how little interest there is in this game. I've never played any FE games in my life but as a major Nintendo series, I'm expecting something probably worth my time and money. Is it just that it looks a bit shit or is it nothing like the previous games or what?

It looks like Persona with RTS rather than JRPG combat to my otherwise ignorant mind. I don't much like Persona and I never enjoyed any RTS in my whole life but I don't tend to let such rationale keep me from a new full-fat Switch game, or indeed any old shite. 

I don't recall any fire emblem game generating huge amounts of interest but it does seem to have sold quite well in recent years.

My copy turns up this week and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

From what has been shown and from initial thoughts the game looks very promising if you enjoy the series but I think some people are a little apprehensive about the setting and the idea behind the school / 3 houses. It's something that will only be put right when people play the game I guess.

I feel a part of it is that it's a Fire Emblem game, and though I'm a fan I don't expect it to majorly differ from prior games in the series. Fundamentally you kind of know what to expect from the gameplay, and while I am very interested in what the Officer's Academy aspect brings to the table (a lot of previews are indicating it's very similar to how Persona games work), it's something I would rather retain an element of surprise to.

I'm really looking forward to Three Houses. I think it's a positive step that they're not repeating the Fates formula of releasing different versions with different stories, instead having all major arcs contained within the one release (harkening back to the excellent Sacred Stones on the GBA) so the game should be meaty. I expect the gameplay to be as dependably solid as always, so I'm hoping the character writing is strong. Latter FE games have pushed a little too hard into anime nonsense for my liking which I don't see changing (the series is selling better than it ever has) but I'm crossing my fingers that it's not that egregious.