rllmuk
TheDuke

How do you make space for your retro collection?

How did or do you go about making additional space for your retro collection?

Like most of you guys, we watch the YouTubers. They seemingly have rooms upon rooms of retro hardware/software just collecting dust in boxes, tubs etc. 

I don't have anywhere near that much space. Infact, I probably have less space for myself now as an adult than I did as a child growing up.

As a result, I have to take time to consider what I can and can not get away with hording vs what 'we' as a family can get away with collecting. For example, it's ok if we have over 500 bluray movies, but it's not ok to have a Full Tower 486 with a 14" CRT monitor in the bedroom...

So. How do you prioritise your collection, and what steps do you take to ensure that you get to keep stuff you really want, and how do you go about getting rid stuff you want to keep but just can't for what ever reasons? Do you have a dedicated finite space, or are you ok with it taking over other parts of your home as it grows? Have you ever traded a collection when digital versions came about, just for space? Did you regret it and back after?

ItnTh8q.jpg

Pic semi-related. Old hardware picked up cheap from a house clearence recently.

I have an increasingly smaller feeling office room. I'm more of a hardware collector than software. The worst possible thing to collect for.

• Empathy 1

I cheat, I have loads at home which is my prized collection stuff, things I never want to get rid of, and then I have a load of stuff in the Company office, where I can get use out of my Snes / N64 / PS1 /  Wii / 360 etc, which are all hooked up to either the large LCD panel or the CRT, depending on which is the best fit, the only actual gaming I do at home these days is on the Switch, from the comfort f my bed, all other gaming is done at work, although I know this isn't really a possibility for most folks.

3 hours ago, Swainy said:

I don’t have any spare rooms in my house but luckily I’ve got a pretty big shed which has electric and heating ect so that has become my gaming room.

Blimey!

All I've got in my shed is some old paint and a plastic mower.

In answer to the original question - I manage by modding older gen hardware so I don't need all the disks and boxes. A OG XBox, Back compat 60Gb PS3, XBox 360, Wii and PS4 cover pretty much most things and all will fit in a regular sized media cabinet. Given its looking like the next gen consoles will all have backward compatibility baked in, I can't envision it getting any more cluttered either.

• Upvote 1

All my games fit on one large and two small bookcases. 

My consoles are all setup on on me unit with a PVM. I stick only to PS1, PS2 and SNES. 

• Upvote 2

What I find helps with space constraints is that I’ve kept my retro collection relatively small and focused. Also, it’s all consoles, no computers.* Biggest limiting factor is that the systems I own I started (re)collecting before or during 2012, after which prices on the secondary market increased significantly for many retro formats. Gave up on starting any new system collections after that, to be honest.

* wish I’d kept my Amiga 1200 of course, but I doubt I’d use it much but if I still owned it, as many Amiga games haven’t aged well...

• Upvote 3

Half of my game collection lives in boxes at my parents house whilst the other half live in a cupboard at my house. I’ve cut it in half over the past few years (I’m down to around 300 games covering most consoles from the PS1 onwards) and raised over five thousand pounds in the process. I realised that I was never going to play a lot of the games I owned; that I had a lot of rubbish; and to a lesser extent there were certain games which now sell for in my opinion ridiculous prices where I’d rather have the money (for example I sold Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1&2 Plus for the GameCube when I realised how much people would pay for it. A game I like, but not something I’d ever pay £120 for).

I think all the games could easily fit onto an Ikea Billy bookcase without having to resort to double stacking.

• Upvote 1