IGNORED

Ghostwire: Tokyo - Tango Gameworks' latest - March 25th

Keyboard Koala

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Divisive reviews!

I'd hardly call one minor outlet giving a low score divisive tbh.

Siliconera - 10 out of 10

GameSpot - 8 out of 10

Game Informer - 8 out of 10

Destructoid - 7.5 out of 10

Games radar - 7 out of 10

IGN - 7 out of 10

NME - 6 out of 10

Sounds like a more than decent new release. I remember The Evil Within getting similar scores, and it's one of my favourite PS4 titles.

I took a video of some gameplay showing off the Scramble.

While my review isn't up, the long and short of my time with it is that it's okay. My main problem is that it's very short (I completed it in about ten hours, and I spent a lot of time doing side activities) and all the story basically seems to occur outside the game. It keeps referring to characters and their motivations as if you should know them, but... you don't. Because it never introduces or explains them properly. 

However, you can talk with dogs and feed them so that's a 10/10 right there. Some visually chaotic spiritual sections are also genuinely really, really cool.

And it does have a lot of graphics modes (not options, modes) though I don't see any point in running this on anything but the smoothest option. 30fps and Ray Tracing is... choppy. 

Stuck an hour on this before work, on PC, and yeah... mixed bag so far. Everything seems quite simplistic, from the Visuals to the combat. 

Story is quite intriguing though, with some nice folkloric stuff so fingers crossed it grips me on a story level. 

By modern expectations of a premium priced title, that's pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

Watching the Digital Foundry review and John described it as Ubisoft-lite in gameplay structure, so its primary redeeming selling point is visual novelty, not gameplay.

34 minutes ago, mushashi said:

By modern expectations of a premium priced title, that's pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

“Very short” to me is a couple of hours at most. Average length would be 10-15ish.

Story/campaign/mission modes in most games are 8-15 hours these days, are they not? You’ve outliers like RPGs and stuff like Assassin’s Creed, but CoD/Halo/etc. are in that ballpark.

The original quote would indicate the problem is they finished the campaign itself in less than 10 hours

On 21/03/2022 at 16:39, Kayin Amoh said:

My main problem is that it's very short (I completed it in about ten hours, and I spent a lot of time doing side activities)

I personally find the thought of 60+ hour games where you've barely scratched the surface as the very nightmare future I have no interest in.

16 minutes ago, mushashi said:

The original quote would indicate the problem is they finished the campaign itself in less than 10 hours

I personally find the thought of 60+ hour games where you've barely scratched the surface as the very nightmare future I have no interest in.

I’ll happily play games of any length, but most are around 10-15 hours I’d say.

On 21/03/2022 at 15:13, Keyboard Koala said:

I'd hardly call one minor outlet giving a low score divisive tbh.

GameCentral has an interesting history. It also happens to have a very strong connection to Edge Magazine.

It was the successor to the popular Digitiser on Channel4 and was first run by Tony Mott for several years before somebody else took over for a bit. Then it was handed over to David Jenkins, who has been in charge ever since. Both of them worked on Edge.

I'm thinking the Edge score will be closer to theirs than the typical American scoring.

11 hours ago, mushashi said:

There's more to it than just numbers though. Some longer games can be consistently compelling, some shorter games can waste their already brief playtime.

My issue with Ghostwire is that the main story path is really thin. I finished the story barely feeling like it had gotten started in any meaningful way. Dense, it is not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still well in for this whenever I get the opportunity; even if it's just for a bit of virtual tourism. Just got to get through The Videogame first. 

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Edgetm 7 seems to be in line with the reviews this has been getting so far. A much-needed decent addition to the so far rather limited PS5 library. Much like what Evil Within was for the PS4 then.

Except The Evil Within wasn't a PS4/PS3 exclusive.

On 11/04/2022 at 13:11, Doctor Shark said:

I got this as part of my ps5 bundle - know nothing about it so will be fun finding out what I’ve actually bought and then trading it in if it’s guff! 

If you don't like it, I'd be up for buying it. 

On 27/03/2022 at 17:30, mushashi said:

GameCentral has an interesting history. It also happens to have a very strong connection to Edge Magazine.

It was the successor to the popular Digitiser on Channel4 and was first run by Tony Mott for several years before somebody else took over for a bit. Then it was handed over to David Jenkins, who has been in charge ever since. Both of them worked on Edge.

I'm thinking the Edge score will be closer to theirs than the typical American scoring.

Absolutely, I love game central and Jenkins, they never give a fig about hype and aren't afraid of going against the grain. I remember them giving Team Yu a little time of day too while the Shenmue 3 campaign was in full swing which only endeared me more to the little platform. 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up for £37 from The Game Collection. It has a nice lookfeel once you switch to performance mode, and combat is nice and satisfying so far. 

Also, you can pet the dog. This is huge, in my book. 

Edit - the cat too!

This is like a weird alternate universe version of the Yakuza games. The world feels incredibly tactile and immersive, and I really like the verticality. Enemy types repeat too much though, and the reward for investigating the side mission locations being an arena fight against the same enemies you were battling on the streets is getting stale already. 

On 27/03/2022 at 15:33, deKay said:

Struggling with “it’s very short” and “ten hours”. Which is it?

Well, I've played this for 5 hours having got it today, and I'm still on Chapter 2, have 75% of the map yet to uncover, and have only done about half of the side missions I've stumbled across. So unless it only has three chapters and you never actual uncover most of the map, I can't see it being anywhere near 10 hours.

It's really good though! And has some incredible toilets! In fact I think the toilets in Shibuya Train Station might have the first disabled toilet cubicle I've been able to go in in a game.

This is such an odd one. Incredibly high production value in cutscenes and graphics, yet repetitive gameplay and an absolutely dead world (not as a stylistic device, but in the sense of that you can't interact with ANYTHING. It's all closed/dead/facade). Sooooooooooooooo much potential but in the end this is a bit lame and stale.

10 hours done, just started Chapter 3. Map says I’m 17% complete?!

Really enjoying it though, even the bits that I’m finding a bit spooky for me.