PC Engine Mini

2 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I kept my preorder for the UK version.

I'd like to clarify: Can I use my Raspberry Pi power supply (5V 3A) for this, or would that destroy it?

It's easy enough to dig out another phone charger, but these mini consoles get put in a spot where the Retropie usually sits and it's convenient to plug them into the 5V 3A.

Nope do not use that. Think max amp it takes is 2. You want a 5V 2A charger. 

6 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I kept my preorder for the UK version.

I'd like to clarify: Can I use my Raspberry Pi power supply (5V 3A) for this, or would that destroy it?

It's easy enough to dig out another phone charger, but these mini consoles get put in a spot where the Retropie usually sits and it's convenient to plug them into the 5V 3A.

As long as the voltage/polarity on the power supply matches what the PC Engine Mini requires and the amperage on the power supply matches or exceeds what the PC Engine Mini requires, it will be absolutely fine.

So if your power supply is 5v 3a USB, it can be used with a device that runs on 5v 2a USB.

Got one of these coming tomorrow. I'm a bit miffed that it just changed from unavailable on my Amazon save for later to next day delivery. I probably should have paid more attention but I was expecting to see a new date for release further in the future but I'm sure it went from not released to get it tomorrow, the miffed reason is because I had just bought a Snowspeeder. Yeah a fucking Snowspeeder (model, not the real ship) from the Empire Strikes Back. I'd justified it because I thought it would be my only frivolous (and extremely nerdy) purchase for the month then 24hrs later the Mini is available.

Love it really, can't wait to get both, PCE the most as it's a console I've never even tried via emulation never mind held/used one of its pads.

9 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Normally yes but the pi psu pushes the amps rather than having them drawn. SOL has killed two using a pi supply I think. 

This. I wouldn't risk it personally. The Pi PSU seems to be different from others and it borked two to the point the controller couldn't be recognised. I used an Amazon Fire wall plug just fine till curiosity got the better of me with the second one. 

It might be my Pi PSU is faulty, but do you want to find out via an Amazon return :)

Just now, S0L said:

It might be my Pi PSU is faulty, but do you want to find out via an Amazon return :)

It's possible. Though I have just read that the official Pi4 PSU is overvolted slightly despite what the spec might say in some places (it runs in excess of 5V at times). That is deffo reason enough to not use it on anything other than the Pi4.

So yeah, I stand corrected - don't use the official Pi4 supply!

Mine arrived today also. I can see this being my most played of the mini consoles, as there are so many games here I've not played before.

I'm using a 5V 2000mA power adaptor from the PiHut, which is what I use for all my mini consoles and Pi3.

Played some Chew-Man-Fu, Parasol Stars, and Dracula X so far. All of them are amazing. Controller feels really good, too.

20200606_165406.thumb.jpg.d8c06c3e06836b8a07d41941641b634c.jpg

I received mine too. Got a few of the little retro consoles sat in a small four shelf thing at the end of my bed going into a decent monitor. The PCE has caused some trouble, no more free shelves and no more HDMI switch inputs. I'll work something out.

I really do play them too, well not so much the PS1 as I have better means via PS3 but certainly all the others. Enjoying games like  Mickey Mouse, Gunstar Heroes, Adventure, Uridium etc, most for the first time.

Looking forward to what's on here.

20200606_171223.jpg

EDIT* Sorted it. All plumbed in and ready to play, well bar the PS1 Classic but them's the breaks. Now for some PCE action.

20200606_180343.jpg

20200606_180410.jpg

I’ve had fun with mine today, absolutely delighted with it.

I remember reading about the PC Engine at the time, it always looked like a belting console, to have had one back then would have been incredible.

15 hours ago, parkinho said:

Ahh I had convinced myself that I didn't need one of these, but having seen the photos above, mine is being delivered tomorrow :facepalm:

I felt exactly the same; used to drool over the white one and it's games in ACE as a kid, and only didn't get one when NEC released the advert about the imported ones blowing up.The mini release was the news i had been looking for. 

The photos pushed my weak mind to open up an Amazon webpage but i just managed to pull it back from committing the sin by my wife shouting dinner was ready - a close shave. We shall see if i can get through today, wish me luck.

21 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

This is lovely, but I'd completely forgotten how awful the TG-16 boxart was. I only ever owned Japanese cards and CDs.

New Adventure Island is pretty spectacular. 

17 minutes ago, ontwofronts said:

The difficulty level of R Type and the Konami Shoot em ups is a bit stiff

or maybe I’m just getting old

can you do the first 3 levels of PCE R-Type on your first life?

If not, it's definitely you.

Ordyne is a fucking ballache though.

4 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Got mine. Can anyone explain the sense in putting Snatcher on the Coregrafx mini and turbografx mini with japanese text making it impossible to play?

Because there never was an Eng. version of Snatcher on the PC Engine, would be my guess. Believe me I'm as disappointed as any for that. Maybe one day someone will patch in a translation, but I'm not holding my breath.

13 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Got mine. Can anyone explain the sense in putting Snatcher on the Coregrafx mini and turbografx mini with japanese text making it impossible to play?

All three minis (original, Core Grafx, TG-16) have been on sale in Japan for a while. Collectors over there have been buying sets. Presumably they’ve kept Japanese language games on Euro/US editions for the gamers in Japan.

This is fantastic, spent most of yesterday afternoon with my kids playing through the catalogue of games.  Really enjoying my time with the console and I think the fact I’m aware of many of the titles but never had the luxury of playing them back in the day adds to the magic. 

I would second the disappointment surrounding Snatcher though. 

For those lamenting the lack of an English language Snatcher,  are you aware there is a US Mega-CD version in English? I'm sure at some point the PC Engine may well get hacked to play other systems and that's the most likely way to play it. Or some other emulation platform.

There was an aborted attempt to translate the PC Engine one by fans, maybe the mini will resurrect it, but there are various versions of Snatcher with vary amounts of acts and differences, so I don't think it's a copy/paste from the SEGA one sadly.

Of course like Hamlet it can only truly be appreciated in it's original Klingon form I'm sure. :P

9 hours ago, HappiestRogue said:

This is fantastic, spent most of yesterday afternoon with my kids playing through the catalogue of games.  Really enjoying my time with the console and I think the fact I’m aware of many of the titles but never had the luxury of playing them back in the day adds to the magic. 

I would second the disappointment surrounding Snatcher though. 

Definitely agree with what you say about the magic of experiencing many of these for the first time. The PC Engine and the Neo Geo were always the exotic, mysterious consoles of my childhood that were in sight in gaming magazines but alway just out of reach, so to speak, so I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in properly in coming days/weeks/months.

19 minutes ago, S0L said:

For those lamenting the lack of an English language Snatcher,  are you aware there is a US Mega-CD version in English? I'm sure at some point the PC Engine may well get hacked to play other systems and that's the most likely way to play it. Or some other emulation platform.

A hack is in development / testing at the moment. I want to get rid of the stuff that I can't play due to language barrier / they're a bit duff and put the stuff on there that should've been there IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Apparently there's about 1Gb of available space on the internal storage memory from stock.