rllmuk
deKay

PC Engine Mini

41 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

The PS classic is like £16 on Amazon. I think this looks great but can’t see it not being £30 in the bargain bin within a few weeks 

Exatly, I mean how many people in the UK are nostalgic for the PC Engine of all things? If it had Castlevania on it and the other games in english I would buy it as an enthisiast product..... but it doesn't so easy pass

5 minutes ago, Pavey said:

Ok I rephrase, you’ve been able to pick up the PS classic for peanuts. Even Sony we’re doing it for £30 with a bunch of PS merch. 

I can’t see this not happening here either. 

Fwiw I really want the JP hardware but can’t be dealing with the UI in Japanese only. Does it only come with one controller?

I was initially interested in this more as curio as I never got to play the somewhat mythical PC Engine back in the day... Jeff Minter used to rave about it back in the late 80s and mentioned that it had a fantastic port of R-Type on there. But this was a long time ago. Not so curious now I guess. And I have a arcade perfect port of R-Type on my Switch. Not only that MAME runs it perfectly too.

8 minutes ago, Camel said:

That's a third party seller.

Is it cheaper though, as i couldn't find it?

12 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Fwiw I really want the JP hardware but can’t be dealing with the UI in Japanese only. 

Same really. Don't have the patience i had as a 16 yr old.

• Upvote 1

The white PC Engine is probably my favourite looking games console of all time. The definition of small, but very powerful.

Also loved that the games were on credit card sized carts.

Don't need one at all, but very tempted by this.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Do Amazon make you pay in full for pre orders? I heard somewhere that they do now. 

AFAIK yes. They did a stealth change in which you are charged the full amount 5 days after you placed the preorder... One more reason not to use Amazon!

This mini console might see a price cut if it bombs but I can't see Konami manufacturing too many of them to warrant such a move. 

And they've got to be aware that barely anyone in Europe owned one back in the day and that it was always pretty niche outside of Japan in general, especially once the SNES arrived. Konami's conservatism will ensure that they won't over-produce these.

So long as the emulation is excellent I still regard the line up as being the strongest bunch of games to grace any of these nostalgia boxes - even with duds like Moto Roader factored in and numerous system greats omitted presumably to further shave production costs.

Why they couldnt release the white version in europe ive no idea

will i have to make a japanese amazon account and pay import duty?

hmph

I never owned one at the time, so have no nostalgia for the console. That said, are there any exclusive PC Engine games that are totally worth checking out? (I have my PS Classic for old arcade games like Splatterhouse and R-Type).

1 minute ago, Tomdominer said:

I never owned one at the time, so have no nostalgia for the console. That said, are there any exclusive PC Engine games that are totally worth checking out? (I have my PS Classic for old arcade games like Splatterhouse and R-Type).

Castlevania : Rondo of Blood is the best (non-Metroidvania) Castlevania game. 

...(you can play it on the PlayStation 4 also though, as part of the Requiem collection) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

There's a great shmups line up on the mini, the Star Soldier series and Blazing Lazers are personal favourites but there's a lot of other games I'm less familiar with on there too.

Also Parasol Stars. Cute Bubble Bobble style arena platformer that I've got a real soft spot for, loved it on Amiga but the PC Engine version is the best one.

• Upvote 1

It's a brilliant console for shmups and Bomberman. The awesomely-titled Soldier Blade is the pinnacle of the Star Soldier series, just above Star Parodier which is the Turbografx's answer to Twinbee.

Bomberman '93 and especially the Japanese '94 are the best Bomberman games outside of Saturn Bomberman. They're the games worth getting the multitap for.