IGNORED

PC Engine Mini

deKay

13 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Yeah, fair enough. Don't think anyone should be put off buying one if they've got the means to plug it in via the TV though. 

I think they should, it's a broken product sold without a warranty.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I think they should, it's a broken product sold without a warranty.

I never had a warranty for my original PCE + CDROM and SuperGrafx 20+ years ago when I owned them, so maybe they were going for...

14 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

An authentic experience for the pc engine. 

Well did a lot of testing last night via a friend and hes ordered the ic that controls the USB ports. Some of the voltages were all over the place and he did say there doesn't seem to much in the way of over voltage protection.

Spec of the IC says the chip is capable of taking upto 5.4v so the PI psu should have been fine.

Chips will be here mid may so will let it known on here if its fixed or not.

• 1 month later...

Awesome - just ordered a JPN Soldier Blade, plus a JPN Sonic for the Mega Drive Mini for good measure.

The wife wasn't overly impressed when she saw that I was buying more games. When I explained to her that it was actually a piece of plastic that just looked like a game I don't think that did much to change her mind! :lol:

• 5 months later...

I'm interested in getting one of these as a present. USB issues aside, the Japanese version is the one I'd rather go for and price wise they seem reasonable ish currently. I'm sure I've bought stuff from Amazon jp before (granted it was absolutely ages ago) and it just linked to my UK account but it that doesn't seem to work now. Does anyone know the best way to go about ordering off Amazon.co.jp? Can you create accounts from outside the country with foreign credit cards, address etc? Any advice much appreciated!

As a bonus it also sorts out all the import duties for you too. 

when you get it, I run mine of a usb battery and it hasn’t led to any issues at all for me. 

(he says just before it shits the bed - jokes on it as I use my mister for pc engine now with the usb controller from the mini. Anyway I digress, the mini is a lovely piece of little kit)

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, bplus said:

Got one for Xmas, don't know much about the pc engine, there seems to be a bit of shovelware in the line up. Been playing ninja gaiden and ghouls and ghosts and r type. Is there anything is I should give a try?

Castlevania Rondo of Blood is one of the best platformers ever released

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Got one for Xmas, don't know much about the pc engine, there seems to be a bit of shovelware in the line up. Been playing ninja gaiden and ghouls and ghosts and r type. Is there anything is I should give a try?

Air Zonk, Gunhed (Blazing Lazers), Lords Of Thunder, Soldier Blade, Chou Aniki, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Super Star Soldier and Salamander if you like 2D shooters.

Alien Crush is pretty good 2D pinball game with HR Giger ripoff graphics.

Chew Man Fu is a nice puzzle games in the Sokoban mould, with kappas.

Castlevania, of course.

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Air Zonk, Gunhed (Blazing Lazers), Lords Of Thunder, Soldier Blade, Chou Aniki, Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, Super Star Soldier and Salamander if you like 2D shooters.

Alien Crush is pretty good 2D pinball game with HR Giger ripoff graphics.

Chew Man Fu is a nice puzzle games in the Sokoban mould, with kappas.

Castlevania, of course.

Good list thanks

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

PSA : Be very careful how you power it, see... well the rest of this thread.

thanks, so this thread seems inconclusive as to what the issue is or what to avoid. A quick Google isn't giving me a quick answer. Got it power plugged into TV in my mum's but I'm when I head home after Xmas Ill probably use iPhone usb, any idea if that will fry it?

5 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I either use a tv port or a rechargeable battery pack. Avoid raspberry pi power supplies like the covids. 

the issue is that the 5v line is not filtered before going to the usb hub chip on the pcb so any minor over volt event will blow the chip. 

Thanks. I know nothing about electronics but that sounds like faulty design. Oh well.

• 1 month later...
On 26/12/2021 at 22:16, bplus said:

thanks, so this thread seems inconclusive as to what the issue is or what to avoid. A quick Google isn't giving me a quick answer. Got it power plugged into TV in my mum's but I'm when I head home after Xmas Ill probably use iPhone usb, any idea if that will fry it?

Sorry quoting myself here, anyone know if an iPhone plug ok with the cable that came with console is safe?