PC Engine Mini

The Meg

18 hours ago, S0L said:

For those lamenting the lack of an English language Snatcher,  are you aware there is a US Mega-CD version in English? I'm sure at some point the PC Engine may well get hacked to play other systems and that's the most likely way to play it. Or some other emulation platform.

There was an aborted attempt to translate the PC Engine one by fans, maybe the mini will resurrect it, but there are various versions of Snatcher with vary amounts of acts and differences, so I don't think it's a copy/paste from the SEGA one sadly.

Of course like Hamlet it can only truly be appreciated in it's original Klingon form I'm sure. :P

I'm actually playing The Mega CD version just now. The voice acting is such a big part of what I like about it, you'd be missing something even if the PC Engine version got a fan translation. 

Oh totally. I've played it through to completion twice, it's completely a product of its time but I always wanted to play it since I show shots of it in C&VG. It didn't disappoint!

I've started the translated version of Policenauts a few times but it's never quite grabbed me as much as Snatcher. 

I'm still resisting the UK release, but I think it's a great mini console and you know it will do MEGA-CD perfectly, so that might lure me in for a third playthrough.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if Amazon UK have sold out of these now as it's saying "Currently Unavailable - We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-PC-Engine-CoreGrafx-Mini/dp/B07SLM7N9J/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=arcade+1up&qid=1594970007&sr=8-9

20 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

I haven’t so far but quite a few different USB pads work on it apparently? Shame the multi tap is so rare.

Currently available for same-day delivery on Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbo-Engine-Coregrafx-Electronic-Games/dp/B07TDQYHQN/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1BSWXP0HBO38E&dchild=1&keywords=pc+engine&qid=1594979824&sprefix=pc+en%2Caps%2C839&sr=8-4

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

I haven’t so far but quite a few different USB pads work on it apparently? Shame the multi tap is so rare.

Oh interesting.  It didn't work with either my retrobit Sega controller or a SNES usb one.

My PC Engine Mini 8 Bit Do controller from Amazon UK showed up today, lovely bit of kit. It was a surprise as a few days back they told me it was gonna be August before I'd get it. Not tried it yet (on charge) but buttons feel nice and of course it had that new controller smell :)

Oh yeah, I did fold and the UK Core Grafx version in the end. It's worked fine so far, but that's as my Pi PSU is kept far away from it!

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

Oh interesting.  It didn't work with either my retrobit Sega controller or a SNES usb one.

It 100% works with the retrobit (wireless) megadrive controller. It needs a specific button press though (not the Konami code). Pretty sure Camel posted it in this thread. 

Edit, it was Revival. 

I've been absolutely buzzing playing this and a few other games from these mini retro consoles. Real old school fun in bed. Lazy Sunday, fire up a bit of  Ninja Spirit, do a new run of Star Fox or try to finish Gunstar Heroes.

Fantastic fun.

I haven't added a single game to any mini yet but when I do I'll be only adding the cream. Fuck throwing anything and everything on them. I only want to play the good shit. Luckily there is a lot of it.

Haha. I live in a single floor one bed flat and I have a couple of these machines just plugging away in the bedroom. 

When I'm playing a massive time sink game in the living room I'll mosey on into the bedroom and pick up some R-Type etc. Awesome. I know it's not very now conscious but it's a bit of a dream to have cool games always on the go in my home.

Probably comes from wanting certain arcade cabs back in the day. Nearly bought a twin sit down Virtua Racing cab in the early 2000s, I actually won the auction. Would have filled the kitchen and caused trouble with the then missus so sense prevailed and the seller was cool.

Love walking in and seeing some 16bit attract screen doing its thing.

I don't do it every day mind. 

• 3 months later...

On 30/03/2020 at 23:14, S0L said:

And if you go look at Amazon.jp and run the 1 star reviews through translate, a bunch of users with the same problem. 

So be warned, it looks like either it's really delicate about what kind of current you put into it or there is some kind of manufacturing defect in the first batch. Let's just say I was kicking myself using the Pi supply. Till I read Reddit and saw there were others using one with no issues whatsoever.

Yep, got mine out after a month or two, controller port apparently dead.

Wonderful.

You might be ok, it appears it might be related to using more powerful PSUs with it.  Any competent device won't draw more amps than it needs but it appears this might.

Given that the machine has no indication what power it actually NEEDS from a PSU this is pretty unforgivable.

Sorry to hear yours went pop. Honestly, stay away from Pi PSU's. I'm using the charger that came with a 8th Gen Kindle Fire 8 and so far touch wood it's not gone wrong.

At least Amazon are good with returns, they replaced my first one free of charge and covered the postage. Second one was a full refund. I eventually bought the UK one, but it also gets kid gloves PSU wise!

You think someone might have found a fix/solution, but a quick google suggests not :(

• 1 month later...