Konami announces mini PC Engine & Turbografx

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

Star Parodier is good fun. What’s your most played game so far? 

R-Type for me. A lot of the other shooters are very passable but this is ssoo satisfying. Not got past the 4th level yet as its hard as nails but I'm determined to do it soon!

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Nope, seems to have been delayed because of Covid. Plus they are still working on another Mini hack first.

I haven't followed the Mini hacking scene closely since the peak of SNES Classic mania - so I'm obviously talking a little little out of my arse here - but I can't see it coming for the PCE Mini for a few reasons.

- It's the least popular and available Mini.

- It's has most complex firmware and hardware to reverse engineer, significantly moreso than the MD Mini.

- The hacking scene itself has fractured and weakened because of stupid drama / fighting / beefs, so cooperation between devs seems to have been minimised. The hubs for hacking activity on Reddit are barren wastelands compared to what they were.

That's pretty much from what I've been casually observing, so it's possible I'm just really out of touch.

5 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I haven't followed the Mini hacking scene closely since the peak of SNES Classic mania - so I'm obviously talking a little little out of my arse here - but I can't see it coming for the PCE Mini for a few reasons.

- It's the least popular and available Mini.

- It's has most complex firmware and hardware to reverse engineer, significantly moreso than the MD Mini.

- The hacking scene itself has fractured and weakened because of stupid drama / fighting / beefs, so cooperation between devs seems to have been minimised. The hubs for hacking activity on Reddit are barren wastelands compared to what they were.

That's pretty much from what I've been casually observing, so it's possible I'm just really out of touch.

They more than confirmed, they've showed off the hacked system already. Same people behind the MD Mini etc. Developers been talking on and off about it for months, they are working on something else and don't want to mess it up like the SNES one which bricked systems:

https://modmyclassic.com/

42 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

They more than confirmed, they've showed off the hacked system already. Same people behind the MD Mini etc. Developers been talking on and off about it for months, they are working on something else and don't want to mess it up like the SNES one which bricked systems:

https://modmyclassic.com/

Fair enough. I knew about the proof of concept showing they've got new Hu Cards and homebrew installed. If they can work out the kinks it'll obviously be great to have various missing titles on there.

I probably should have said 'anytime in the near future' rather than implying a stable hacking tool might never arrive. I guess a lot of discussion has migrated over to discord servers..? I don't know.

I just remember reading about how outrageously complex the PCE Mini's kernel is. Coupling that with how niche the product is..I think it's probably best for users to hold their collective breaths and get on with enjoying the games.

it will be hacked eventually, and that's all that matters. 

it will become the simplest and best way to play the entire PC engine back catalogue in a wonderful mini shell and great controllers.

4 minutes ago, ulala said:

it will be hacked eventually, and that's all that matters. 

it will become the simplest and best way to play the entire PC engine back catalogue in a wonderful mini shell and great controllers.

cheaper than an actual PCE and fully-loaded TED.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I was looking at these last night. Are they worth it?

Yes! I play mine all the time, its got some great games on it. Going to even more amazing when it's finally hacked.

19 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Yes! I play mine all the time, its got some great games on it. Going to even more amazing when it's finally hacked.

we need to make a pact, not to bump this thread until it’s hacked.

and yes, it’s worth it without the hack 

53 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Are the 8bitdo wireless controllers for it any good? Grabbed a mini on Friday when I noticed it back in stock

yes, all 8bitdo wifi pads are great, the bluetooth ones are crap

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bplus said:

Just got a hundred quid Amazon voucher. Really tempted by pc engine mini. The Japanese white version looks way better, anyone managed to order one through Amazon?

I got a white Japanese pc engine from Amazon japan with no issues but I don’t think uk amazon vouchers will work on the Japanese website.

31 minutes ago, Flockheart said:

I got a white Japanese pc engine from Amazon japan with no issues but I don’t think uk amazon vouchers will work on the Japanese website.

Dam! That's a shame.

16 hours ago, Flockheart said:

This is correct, I also had vouchers I would've liked to use.

But yeah, it arrived super-quick from Amazon Japan. Was very easy.

51 minutes ago, spatular said:

the white one does look nice but i'm glad i went for the uk one because the autofire on the pad comes in really handy.

true, but that 8bitdo WiFi pad takes care of things

I hope the Brook UFB is updated to support this eventually so I can use a stick with it, because the pads are so stiff that it's hard to do diagonals without moving too far or too little (or at least my pad is stiff - I know the original PCE pads can vary quite a lot, so I assume these are the same).

The Mini itself has been great so far, though. I think some people must be running it under the worst possible circumstances (perhaps on a high-lag TV that isn't set to 'game' mode or whatever), because I'm not struggling against input lag or audio lag at all. There's clearly a frame or two of difference between this and the real thing on my CRT, but it's not enough to force me to adjust my playing style...

Most played game so far has been Aldynes, which is seriously underrated, I think, and may continue to be - it's likely to be written off as just another shmup making up the numbers, here. It's by Produce!, who were partly ex-Irem, and the game features a lot of the same design sensibilities as R-Type or Image Fight, with lots of tight, claustrophobic spaces to be funnelled through and negotiate, and a set of power-ups that all tend to shine in very specific situations. It's lots of fun if you're into old-school memorisers, and the soundtrack is superb throughout.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

I hope the Brook UFB is updated to support this eventually so I can use a stick with it, because the pads are so stiff that it's hard to do diagonals without moving too far or too little (or at least my pad is stiff - I know the original PCE pads can vary quite a lot, so I assume these are the same).

It's def your pads, mine are fine.

• 2 weeks later...