IGNORED

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Breath of the Wild 2) 12th May 2023

GwiDan

Decided to cancel my pre-order for this and wait and see how different it turns out to be vs BOTW. I want to finish Horizon FW (and maybe DLC) before I start this too and I still have Sonic from Xmas.

Must finish games before buying another!

Been playing some Tchia, just tootling around and chilling out, it’s reminded me of an idea I had for a game years and years ago. Large open world. Chilled out “Holiday” style feel. Loads of exploration of the world. Various activities from sailing, to kayaking, mountain biking, to Hang Gliding, archery, to fishing, orienteering/fell running etc Take part in challenges and races offline and online. Upgrade gear to access new areas and events or just chill out and mess around with friends online.

Then I realised, I’m basically describing half of the stuff TotK seems to be doing. The only logical conclusion to implementing that stuff is Online play. Build, swap and customise vehicles with others online. Take to the skies, seas, mountains, fields, lakes etc and compete in races, events, challenges. Like a MMO Banjo Nuts and Bolts.

Could this be the Unkown Hyrule? Hyrule Online. You could be working with other players Death Stranding style to rebuild or construct parts of the world. That would pretty much be the most revolutionary thing they can now do with Zelda and would go way beyond what anyone seems to be expecting. 

The TotK box has the Nintendo Online seal on it. So there has to be some kind of Online component. At the very least I would imagine you’ll be able to share vehicle designs with other players.

Nintendo have designed 100s of vehicle parts, placed them all over Hyrule for you to discover and collect.......then designed systems for you to be able to combine them together into unique vehicles, and then.........that’s it? Seems like time well spent! 😂

Obviously the whole vehicle building thing has to have a purpose. There has to be a worthwhile reason for you to build the vehicles in the first place - to access certain areas of the world, to speed up travel, to use in races, in delivery missions, to transport things around. Aonuma has mentioned players having to use their imagination and being able to use their imagination to change the world itself and that this involves an “unknown Hyrule”. All of this customisation stuff never really works that well offline imo. It tends to feel flat and pointless very quickly. At the very least, there will be an online option to share designs with other players. 

Also, buildable vehicles in the Zelda Universe in the first place is just plain wrong! TotK looks like it’s leaning into a more GTA style online sandbox from some of the stuff in the trailers and Nintendo’s comments. Plus, this is Nintendo we’re talking about. No way is the big reveal just - we went back to doing the old style dungeons. OOT - the instruments and music. MM - time travel. Wind Waker - sailing on the seas. Skyward Sword - flying, waggle, sword fighting. BOTW - free form open world game. Nintendo always have a new hook, something you don’t see coming.

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

combine them together into unique vehicles

‘Collect x of these parts for the flying machine; x of those for the car’, I'm guessing, so not unique. Very cool if you can mix and match for Homers, but we've seen nothing suggesting it.

Online support meant DLC last time.

Again, it’s Nintendo we’re talking about. Highly unlikely they would just plop a handful of repeating items into the world that make a few generic bog-standard vehicles. There would still need to be a reason for those parts and vehicles too and they would have to fit into and not break the other game systems. If you can build a flying vehicle what’s the point of climbing and gliding etc? If you build a highspeed truck, what’s the point of having horses? It’s this kind of stuff that has me intrigued. The whole game design part of it. There seems to be some kind of “lost Zonai technology and power source” concept to the game going on.

Nintendo have recently stated that the game’s price increase is justified due to the amount of content it contains. That means there has to be a massive amount of new gameplay involved, especially if it’s largely the same BOTW world being used. My 270hr BOTW playthrough lasted that long because of the exploration of that world. So basically, they need to use that old world in new ways, to provide new gameplay. So the vehicles, the Sky Islands, the underground, a more sandbox designed world all make sense.

When Rare left Nintendo and made Banjo Nuts and Bolts it was rumoured that the idea came from unused Nintendo game design concepts. I think we’re now finally seeing those concepts. The Sheikah controls in BOTW were already very similar to the controls in Nuts and Bolts. Maybe it won’t be as in depth as I’m thinking it will be and just used on the side but, it clearly shows Nintendo are definitely leaning into the sandbox side of things more. 

I just keep watching the trailers for this and I’m absurdly excited for it. More excited than for any game I can remember. Even more than I was for Elden Ring.

It also probably helps that I’m currently midway through my second BOTW playthrough, and also knee-deep in the Creating a Champion art book (incredible piece of work and a must buy).

I’ll even be buying a Switch OLED for TOTK. And even if it’s only 75% of the experience BOTW is, it will still be the second greatest game ever made.

10 weeks to go. I think I’ll explode before then.

@jonamok Totally get that, because it’s how I feel too! That’s were all the speculation is coming from. I can’t wait to find out about pretty much everything it has to offer first hand, from the design, new ideas, to the plot, to just soaking in the gameplay and the world itself. I’ve booked some time off just to play it and I never do stuff like that! I even counted the days left till it comes out the other day! In 10 weeks time, at midnight, the instant it’s playable, I’ll be absolutely hammering it! Can’t wait! 😁

38 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Hahahha.

I remember reading that years ago and in actual tears of laughter for that story thread 

I’ve just got off my annual rereading of all of them and that whole storyline is one of the ones which always stocks in my memory :)

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

4A94FC3E-60A5-4010-885B-A2FE540648DA.gif.275a00a694bdbdda53e18336aa940f15.gif

I genuinely had fears of dying before the Switch and BOTW came out - as in, fuck me I would be so annoyed if I died before it released 😂

This time I have a decent build up to this game… nice little holiday the week before and 4 days off from the 13th… may have to book the 12th off - hope im still alive….

5 hours ago, scottcr said:

My son is so spectacularly excited about this game. He’s been Nintendo daft all his life (I’m obviously no influence) - he has all kinds of learning difficulties, epilepsy and ASD. He just can’t wait. At new year he was so happy because we’d entered the year that Zelda is coming out.

I think I might let him stay off school the day it comes out. 

He can play with crichstand building crazy vehicles and traversing all over the hyrule world. 

In the Calvin & Hobbes story thread...

Is he happy when he finally gets the beanie hat with the propeller attached? 

Overjoyed as he stands there waiting for a bit of a breeze to spin the propeller. Sometimes even spinning it with his hand and running around pretending he's flying?

Or, is he utterly crestfallen because the hat doesn't actually enable him to fly using nothing but the power of thought?

These two scenarios are analogous to our possible reactions to this game when we, finally, get our hands on it. 🤔🙂

Yeah, I’m really hoping this isn’t online too. And I don’t like the motorbike in BOTW, never mind  all this new vehicle building stuff. Vehicles just don’t fit into the Zelda/BOTW world for me.

Hoping we get somewhere new to explore, plus a vast underground interlocking dungeon with complex puzzles and platforming, that has the classic Zelda atmosphere. A more in depth epic story, with twists and turns, that’s pretty dark.......and Zant returns. Well designed fuck off boss battles. Multi layered quests. Riddles and treasure hunts to solve. Tons of secrets to find. Throw in some big revelations and Nintendo “never saw that coming” design moments. Basically - I want the moon on a stick!