Panzer Dragoon - Switch - Out Now!

On 26/03/2020 at 17:45, Popo said:

£22! That’s a bit rich for my blood, lads. Would love to hear if it’s good though. 

£10-15 and I would have probably bit.

I would prefer a physical release tbh

Also, I don’t mind the new colour grading but the game seems to lack the grittyness and atmosphere of the originals...just seems kinda blandish?

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Definitely; hence why I see your point. And maybe Giraud even had a more colourful version in mind, but that would have been going against his own trademark style.

Other Panzer Dragoon artwork by Giraud is decidedly less colourful:

d445b3c6f3acd5fe80d2f92978cef92c.jpg

Yeah. Totally. Having been looking at that art, it’s such a cool style. Woulda been amazing to have seen an attempt at aping that. Though I guess perhaps cost versus sales woulda been a factor there. 

34 minutes ago, geldra said:

Yeah. Totally. Having been looking at that art, it’s such a cool style. Woulda been amazing to have seen an attempt at aping that. Though I guess perhaps cost versus sales woulda been a factor there. 

An indie game called Sable is giving it a pretty good go: 

tumblr_opp3tqF73p1r9wzepo1_500.gif?resiz

• Upvote 7
48 minutes ago, geldra said:

Alas, that'd probably be it. Still a shame though. I was looking forward to this remake, but several reviews have pointed out that the new graphical style is at odds with the more ethereal art of the Saturn original, which happened to be the most important aspect of that game imo.

2 hours ago, probotector said:

£10-15 and I would have probably bit.

I would prefer a physical release tbh

Also, I don’t mind the new colour grading but the game seems to lack the grittyness and atmosphere of the originals...just seems kinda blandish?

Indeed. I was looking at this but recently played Orta on the Xbox and the Zwei on the Saturn last year. I no longer have a Saturn and was interested in this but personally £22 is a little bit steep for an old game really that money could buy me a few indie titles on the Switch for example. :)

Might keep an eye on future sales etc around £10 is probably what I would like to pay for this. I appreciate the work that has gone into this though.... Had it been a brand new iteration I'd be on it.... :)

• Upvote 1

I’d pay £30-40 for a proper physical release.

When I say proper, I mean something like Ninja Saviours with a big thick full colour manual and a useless fold out poster. 

Ive added it to my wishlist.

If they had remixed it more in line with virtua racing and priced it at £10, it would be downloading right now. As a remake it’s too halfassed.

Now, give us a HD Zwei and Orta and I’ll be there or even £50 for a trilogy. 

So, is it meh then? Even Nintendolife gave it a 6/10 and based on their usual review practice that is not really encouraging. Destructoid doesn't like the clunky controls either, so 22 quid seems a bit steep for that :/

Picked it up.  The title screen music is still as mighty as it always was. 

Have only played through level 1 but it’s tough to disagree with the criticism that enemies are tough to make out from the background. 

First patch (in the works before launch) is out, mostly the rearranged soundtrack, which reminds me more of Orta than this game, but its not bad.. 

Only gameplay tweak is some hit point rebalancing, but it does mean some enemies don't feel as bullet sponge-y

• 3 weeks later...

Latest patch notes revealed. It's pretty substantial. No release date for the patch yet apart from 'soon'.

The list of changes include:

Adding support for 60 FPS [!!] to the Switch version

Episode 0 added (a secret score-attack bonus stage where your life is constantly draining and you need to defeat enemies to regain health)

Dragon animation has been reworked

Adding support for HD Rumble and gyro controls

Rotation mechanic has been improved

Input lag fixes

More sound effects have been refined

You can now set several face buttons to fire+lock on

More options are now accessible from the in-game pause menu

New gameplay options like Auto-lock

Game language on first start-up is now

automatically set based on console language

Shadow Menu is now called Pandora's Box and new cheat codes have been added

Beating the game on Hard is not no longer required to access the menu

• Upvote 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Patch V1.3 is out

NEW:
- Episode 0
- Super Weapon Mode
- New gameplay options: rumble, classic reticle, auto-aim zoom, HUD toggle, performance mode (60FPS)
- Cheatcodes in the main menu allowing the player to cheat in a campaign (god mode, infinite credits, super weapon mode)
- Gyroscope controls

IMPROVEMENTS:
- SFX system and sounds rework
- Multi-button fire (A and B)
- Input lag removed from all actions
- Camera rotation speed increased
- Easier and more responsive targeting system
- Full options access trough pause menu
- Blue Dragon motion re-work
- Start language based on console account language
- New, reworked Pandora's Box is now available after beating the game at any difficulty

That's a hell of an impressive update.

It's also got 20% off sale on the eshop now as well. So glad I'm waiting for my physical release from Limited Run. <_<

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Panzer-Dragoon-Remake-1575342.html

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Patch V1.3 is out

NEW:
- Episode 0
- Super Weapon Mode
- New gameplay options: rumble, classic reticle, auto-aim zoom, HUD toggle, performance mode (60FPS)
- Cheatcodes in the main menu allowing the player to cheat in a campaign (god mode, infinite credits, super weapon mode)
- Gyroscope controls

IMPROVEMENTS:
- SFX system and sounds rework
- Multi-button fire (A and B)
- Input lag removed from all actions
- Camera rotation speed increased
- Easier and more responsive targeting system
- Full options access trough pause menu
- Blue Dragon motion re-work
- Start language based on console account language
- New, reworked Pandora's Box is now available after beating the game at any difficulty

That's a hell of an impressive update.

It's also got 20% off sale on the eshop now as well. So glad I'm waiting for my physical release from Limited Run. <_<

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Panzer-Dragoon-Remake-1575342.html

Hmm.  I'm not seeing the 20% off. Region specific? 

6 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Hmm.  I'm not seeing the 20% off. Region specific? 

It's definitely showing in the UK. 

Screenshot_20200513-135245~2.png

Just played the first stage.. lock on and general responsiveness feels SO much better now..

Reticule can be switched so it's in front of the dragon - like the original.

'Classic' sfx - sounds a bit more like the original, not perfect - but a bit better..

The dragon's flight animation seems much better -  slightly losing and gaining height as it flaps..

So far.. a big improvement! Not tried 60fps yet..

All I'd ask for now is the option to put the camera rotation on the triggers (ZL,ZR) instead of the shoulders (L,R)..

What their new control method adds is an alternate control where you use ZL & ZR to fire, while still using the shoulder buttons to rotate the camera.. that seems like it would be horrible to use.. (at least on my Lite - not sure about the original Switch!)

• Upvote 1

£22.49 for me too.

Loving the sound of the improvements though the rectacle being in the wrong place was a real WTF detail that I just know I'd have struggled to unsee!! 

Just checked mine again, thinking maybe Nintendo had put the sale up early and then pulled it but it's still showing at £17.99 on my end. 

So the game is finally decent?  Hoping the bigger gaming sites do a re-review as the initial reviews weren't favourable.

I'll probably still wait for a proper discount.