rllmuk

Played the FIFA demo. It's rubbish. Defending, as has been the case for a while now, is just no fun at all, and even on lower difficulties the opposition keeps possession better than before. They'll ping it between themselves for ages while you wait for one of them to get into a position where you can step-tackle into the invisible bubble that surrounds everyone on their side. Then they'll mess up a simple shot or pass and it just feels like the game's patronising you. It doesn't feel like you've *won* the ball, just that they've given it away.  

Early days with PES, but it also feels really flawed this year. How they've fucked up player switching I'll never know. If you've got two runners either side of you, it's pot luck whether it'll pass to the one you're aiming at. Shooting's a little off, too, and I've experienced the occasional bout of unresponsiveness - in one case, I had to hit the through-ball button three times before it worked. In terms of look and overall feel it's still streets ahead. But for my money, it's not a great year for either game. 

5 hours ago, nakamura said:

Absolutely hyperbole. Unplayable would suggest it doesn't do even the most basic of your commands. 

That’s not far off how it feels. I’ll assume you’re not so stupid as to not be able to understand basic phrasing and not take everything literally but are just pretending for some reason. I even said borderline unplayable. 

2 minutes ago, meatbin said:

How's the cpu AI? Do they attack well? 

It’s more varied than before and I would tentatively say yes. Others seem to think so. However, (and sorry I’m going to mention it again) I play on manual and therefore use a lower difficulty (professional at the moment). At that level they’re prone to silly mistakes at times or will let you have the ball when they should be getting it but nothing ridiculous. They’re decent, I lost to Iceland as Italy 1-0. They nabbed one from my defensive fuck up and then sat back and countered. I couldn’t break them down. Felt like what you’d expect of Iceland really. 

There's a striking difference between good and bad teams here that wasn't really present in previous years, and I think it's a combination of the revamped dribbling and inability to ping pong passes around like your entire team is composed of Andres Iniesta. Which, given he was consulted on the dribbling, might just be a case of ego. ;)

I started a Master League with Oeste, in the Brazilian Serie B. They're a 2 star team, average rating about 65, and there's no stand out player. I've managed to work a couple of nice plays but nothing's coming off consistently, with players having a tough time in possession and a the value of taking time on the ball really showing up. It pays to get things under control and take a moment to let the ball stop bouncing around, let it roll for a while if you can, but it's tough going and I'll really need to find a few good players to start building the team around.

To see if this wasn't just a wholesale change to the game - I had last year's Hibs team playing like fucking mentality giants in every match - I fired up a game of England vs San Marino. My god, this England side is an absolute joy to use, particularly Sancho and Sterling on the wings. They can control the ball in tight spaces, sprint off to get a bit of space, and the whole team's so much more fluid in attack as a result. I still only won 2-0 because I'm getting used to the differences and probably wanted to fanny about with the wingers more than I needed to, but it's something to aspire to with Oeste.

The Dutch national team are similarly pleasing to use. They’re set up tactically to counter attack in numbers and you really see that happening on the pitch. Might be the tactic of choice this year. 

Played the demo a little and I like it. i feel more in control that I do on last year’s FIFA where everything feels a bit scripted.

what is the online vs mode like?

I remember playing PES a few years ago and it was poor at showing stats about your record and your opponents. 

Does this mode show you your opponents record? I like to know if who I’ve just beaten is actually any good. And likewise if I get beat!

If you want to play online, PES probably isn’t the game. Don’t know what it’s like on console these days mind, maybe it’s improved but don’t expect FIFA levels of available competition. 

On PC, I haven’t managed to get a single online game on the demo or full game. Not that I’ve tried much. 

Picked it up earlier.

I’ve managed to get a few games of online divisions. Will hit it again tonight.

Loving this game so far.

Literally anything can happen. Just played a game as Liverpool v Arsenal and absolutely dominated the game. Got to about 70 mins at 0-0 so started to think need to take a chance soon then the opposition got a corner, drilled it in low and it bounced off my own player into the net! Finished 0-1 :lol:

The CPU team occasionally getting completely confused and ignoring the ball is a bit irritating when it happens, as it feels very cheap when you pick up a loose ball that should never have been yours. It isn't a difficulty thing either, as it's happening on Superstar.

If it's intentional confusion - two players each leaving it to the other, for example - then that needs telegraphed, but I suspect it's just actually broken.

I think this post from the PES devs on their facebook page explains a lot. I mean, it's not an issue, but it's all kinds of weird and fucked up that they can't fix things like this more elegantly in their own game. This is the kind of bullshit workaround I'd come up with. Again, it's not really a problem and I don't care but it seems so unprofessional.

Hello, PES fans!

We hope you all had a great weekend, and had time to enjoy some PES.
Maybe we met in a UEFA EURO 2020 Matchday. 

Going on to business, we have again received a lot of feedback from all of you over the weekend.
Our team is hard at work reading the comments, so please give us some more time before we can send more feedback.

In the meantime, we have some news regarding Paraná’s 3rd strip.
Some users mentioned that Paraná’s 3rd strip is identical to the 1st one.
This issue is a little complicated, so let’s start with some background on how strips work in PES.
Due to an internal limitation, once a club gets a 3rd strip, there is no way to remove it from the game.
Paraná used to have a 3rd strip in the past, but this year they only have 2 official strips (home and away), so the “real” 3rd strip doesn’t exist.
Since we can’t remove the 3rd strip from the game, the only thing we could do was to re-use the 1st strip in that slot.
Yes, it isn’t the best solution, but it was the only option we had to work with.
We hope that this has helped to shed some light on this issue (along with giving you a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes).

That’s all for today, folks.
We’ll talk to you again soon!

:lol:

If that's the kind of stuff they're struggling with, then it doesn't bode well for any of the other stuff that people have wanted fixed/changed for years.

I'm so close to giving up on the series, and I think hearing this kind of stuff is the nail in the coffin.  I just wish a third studio would have a really good punt at a football game.

That's amazing. I imagine they've got this old creaky core with nobody assigned to work solely on it, so the entire front end is just built around it in whatever way works. Explains why things like the Master League and Be A Legend have been effectively the same for the best part of a decade.

I suspect they’re holed up in some office that Konami begrudgingly keeps going while they make money but that they never get the funds you might expect them to. 

I also think they've got some basic code they can tweak and make improvements to but no one’s prepared, or knows how, to change anything too much in case they fuck it up and can’t fix it. 

They stumbled across a way to make PES work in the Fox engine but can’t figure out how to do anything else with it. 

I’d say that maybe when next gen come along things might change, but I don’t think they will and, if they do, they might be shit. I can’t see this team successfully creating something with a new engine if they can’t do the basics in one they’ve had for years. 

I doubt the issues with kits are anything to do with the Fox Engine, but rather then core game data, that layer underneath the front end. I'd say they have a good enough grasp of the engine and what it's capable of, given the development the match day experience gets with AI improvements, animation work, etc.

PES 2015 and 2020 are markedly different on the pitch, but essentially identical off it.

They need to get some work experience kid in, who’s used some modern menus and systems, to sort out the front end and various modes. Getting the 50-somethings who’ve been churning out PES since 1995 (probably still on Windows 95 if their idea of UI is anything to go by) to do it isn’t getting anywhere. 

Tried the demo earlier this week and really liked the feel of it, especially the variation in goals scored. PES has always had that edge over FIFA imo.

Anyway, decided to buy it yesterday but got sidetracked... glad I did because it’s today on sale (£32) in the PS Store.

Are there any Rllmuk leagues or tournaments? Not that I’d be anything other than a whipping boy as it’s been well over a decade since I really learned a Pro Evo game...

I normally wait until it's under £20 at Christmas but decided to buy it early this year in this weeks sale. I bought my first FIFA since 03 on the Gamecube this year and while FIFA 19 has great presentation the actual gameplay is absolutely awful and I won't be making the mistake of buying it again. After spending £5 on the Silver membership for the PES Universe patch to update all the kits which always end up looking too glossy to me I went straight to the only mode I play, Master League. Ignoring the awful soundtrack and the much too purple UI initial impressions are good, teams definitely have a style of playing that is noticible, stray passes are cut out a lot more often and playing on Professional it's still a challenge to score. Players do seem to stumble if you mistime a challenge a lot more than they did on 18 and my goalkeepers are still stay on their line too much instead of closing players down in one on one situations.

Yeah I would like to see keepers come off their line and take the initiative a little bit more, in really obvious situations at least. I find myself manually calling them out, which is fine, but there are times when a ball is going out for a corner and the keeper would need to take a couple of steps to go and grab it and prevent that, but instead just stands there like a lemon and watches it trickle out of play.

I think they've found a better balance with through balls this year. Players who don't have the special ability or passing stats to pull it off will be bad at it, whereas in last year's game it felt like a bit of a magic button like in some of the old ISS games. I also love the weight and variety of styles of long passes in the game. Ruben Neves, for example, does these amazing 50 yard raking passes with a low trajectory and loads of back spin on them just like he does in real life, but if you ask a lower league clodhopper to try it the pass will balloon up into the air or wildly overshoot its target. I like any little touches like that which make individual special players stand out.

Also on the harder difficulties it's actually possible to score from crosses and corners when I thought it was ludicrously difficult in the last game, to the point where in the co-op Master League game I play with my friend we completely abandoned them and played it short every time. We'd have an absolute behemoth of a target man with 90 for heading and the special heading ability and he could not win a header in the box. Now it feels like if the delivery is right you have a chance, but crucially it's not *too* effective to the point of being a dominant strategy.

They've also made free kicks a touch more difficult as I thought they were far, far too easy to score in the last game even if the player you were using wasn't good at them. You can still score plenty but in the last game it got to the point where I felt like I'd really messed up if I didn't score. They should be rare enough to feel very satisfying when they go in and I think they're closer to getting it right this year.

I think it's still quite fussy and arbitrary with fouls. It's annoying when the commentator goes "great intervention, stepped in and took it CLEANLY" then the whistle blows and it's a free kick. Even the commentators can see it was bullshit! I think they've done a better job of penalising you for trying to kick at the back of players, but a lot of the time it seems to call a foul for any contact whatsoever, or an opposition player will blatantly obstruct you, clatter your player to the floor and they somehow get the free kick.

Master League is a little bit better but they still really really need the option to redistribute the funds as you see fit. It's great that you can choose where the initial prize money goes, but after that you're stuck with it and this often doesn't make sense. We've definitely had a window on the current career mode where we've had £40m in the transfer budget but £1m in the salary budget so can't sign anyone and I think that's pretty silly.

Mostly though I think it's comfortably better than last year's effort and I'm enjoying it a lot.

• Upvote 1

Had a few hours with it now and like the game, even if I feel out of my depth with certain parts.

Cannot get the hang of feints at all, despite some time in training with them. The inputs don’t make sense to me, which is frustrating because can see how they’d be useful on higher difficulties.

Started MyClub, but think I’ll switch to Master League. At that point of limbo where I’m struggling with better teams on regular but winning comfortably on amateur (last game played I beat Man United 8-0).

Do like how spreading passes across the pitch can disrupt the opposition’s shape, and that even on amateur you can’t just sprint round defenders, there needs to be some thinking to attacks.

Think I’ll buy an update file. FIFA obviously has far slicker presentation, but besides proper kits and teams, the other gloss is unnecessary.

Playing ML with Liverpool the AI is also a lot better at free kicks than they were in 18. I’ve already had Willian and Erikson score comfortably while the ball over the wall and into the net without Alisson getting anywhere near it even using tilt stick and press Triangle get the keeper to step towards the direction the shot is going. Now I just stand VVD behind the wall and get him to head the shots away because it’s a lot more reliable.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Playing ML with Liverpool the AI is also a lot better at free kicks than they were in 18. I’ve already had Willian and Erikson score comfortably while the ball over the wall and into the net without Alisson getting anywhere near it even using tilt stick and press Triangle get the keeper to step towards the direction the shot is going. Now I just stand VVD behind the wall and get him to head the shots away because it’s a lot more reliable.

AI free kicks, especially in the last 15 minutes, will always go in regardless on professional and above. Similarly, the ‘AI CF with back to goal spin the defender and shoot’ goal is a thing it uses when it needs to score. 

It’s actually pretty simple to stop free kicks - the AI nearly always goes over the wall; just select the keeper just before the kicker steps up and shift them a couple of steps towards that side of goal.

I’d be up for some online games if anyone sets something up.