Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

When you get to endgame you can feel powerful - but it's pretty boring.

I had a Cap build and a Thor build that were pretty effective - but one was takedown spamming and one power spamming. Didn't necessarily feel strong/powerful as a player as result and wasn't exactly engaging gameplay.

46 minutes ago, Hexx said:

When you get to endgame you can feel powerful - but it's pretty boring.

I had a Cap build and a Thor build that were pretty effective - but one was takedown spamming and one power spamming. Didn't necessarily feel strong/powerful as a player as result and wasn't exactly engaging gameplay.

I think @shirubagan describing it as "aggressively tedious” really hits the nail on the head.  The game gets very samey during the actual story but at least there are new characters being thrown in, character specific side missions etc.  As soon as you get to the endgame its all just the same few things over and over again with very little variety or real feeling of progression.  Doesn't help that large bugs still get in the way of this a year after release and that as a GAAS game, they have totally forgotten to actually provide a Service

Tried the Hawkeye dlc. A little into the first mission and I'm surrounded by enemies with skulls above their heads, clearly the game wants me to grind to a higher level.

Get. Fucking. Fucked. The gameplay is nowhere near good enough to warrant that. I'm uninstalling. Glad I cleared the main campaign, but I'm done with this shit now.

I'm pretty sure the skulls just mean they are elite characters, not that you are underleveled (everything is about the power level in the endgame, and I think the campaign missions just match to your level anyway)? I don't expect that fact to change your mind, but I think you are wrong. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Tried the Hawkeye dlc. A little into the first mission and I'm surrounded by enemies with skulls above their heads, clearly the game wants me to grind to a higher level.

Get. Fucking. Fucked. The gameplay is nowhere near good enough to warrant that. I'm uninstalling. Glad I cleared the main campaign, but I'm done with this shit now.

27 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm pretty sure the skulls just mean they are elite characters, not that you are underleveled (everything is about the power level in the endgame, and I think the campaign missions just match to your level anyway)? I don't expect that fact to change your mind, but I think you are wrong. 

Yeah you don’t need to grind the Hawkeye stuff (as inevitably your new character is a positive ingenue).

Its middling to okay though, the Wakanda stuff is a lot better (but still weaker than the main campaign).

I recently finished the Campaign which I found to be OK. I pissed about doing some extra missions, and levelling Iron Man, but deleted after realising I was sinking time into the same old missions night after night. There is some fun to be had, and worth a blast because its on Gamepass, but otherwise a massive missed opportunity.

Also the only game to legitimately make my Series X sound like a jet engine. No other game before or since has done that! Seriously WTF Crystal Dynamics?

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Oooh, I see, well they mullered my Iron Man very quickly.

• 7 months later...

I’m about 20 minutes into this and feel like the stupidest man on earth. Do you need a PhD to play it or something?

I did the holodeck tutorial where the first move was a four button combo as opposed to a normal single button “circle to punch, square to shoot” or whatever (admittedly it was the same button four times but it seemed odd to start with a combo). 

Prior to this the game showed me so many screens that went on about how some points and skill things had changed but I’ve never played it before so that was useless info. 

The tutorial got a little better but once that was complete, Nick Fury talked me through a shitload of screens with a million icons about levelling up and hero points for far too long. I feel like I was force fed the Infinity Saga in five minutes and can’t remember a single word of it.

57 minutes ago, cubik said:

I’m about 20 minutes into this and feel like the stupidest man on earth. Do you need a PhD to play it or something?

I did the holodeck tutorial where the first move was a four button combo as opposed to a normal single button “circle to punch, square to shoot” or whatever (admittedly it was the same button four times but it seemed odd to start with a combo). 

Prior to this the game showed me so many screens that went on about how some points and skill things had changed but I’ve never played it before so that was useless info. 

The tutorial got a little better but once that was complete, Nick Fury talked me through a shitload of screens with a million icons about levelling up and hero points for far too long. I feel like I was force fed the Infinity Saga in five minutes and can’t remember a single word of it.

Possible they have changed it significantly given it’s a live service type thing but the early main campaign was a fairly simple introduction to the basic mechanics….you follow Ms Marvel around the Avengers comic con type thing, then you get to mess with all the main characters for the A day disaster and then it flicks to a tomb raideresque platformer with Ms Marvel in New Jersey and then you end up finding the Hulk and invading a bunker.

The holodeck stuff used to be hours into the campaign once you find the Avengers ship so unfortunate if they have broken the main campaign further given that is the games main strength  

2 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Possible they have changed it significantly given it’s a live service type thing but the early main campaign was a fairly simple introduction to the basic mechanics….you follow Ms Marvel around the Avengers comic con type thing, then you get to mess with all the main characters for the A day disaster and then it flicks to a tomb raideresque platformer with Ms Marvel in New Jersey and then you end up finding the Hulk and invading a bunker.

The holodeck stuff used to be hours into the campaign once you find the Avengers ship so unfortunate if they have broken the main campaign further given that is the games main strength  

The holodeck bit was with Iron Man. Maybe I chose the wrong option and didn’t start story mode?

Thinking about it there was a trailer type video showing all sorts of baddies that I didn’t know were in the game so it could be me being a bit stupid. 

Yeah that’s not the campaign you’ve started I think…the game has two main modes IIRC. The campaign is called Reassemble and the live service shit is called Avengers Initiative.

I think you started the latter rather than the former. Iron Man doesn’t appear in the campaign until about 4-5 hours in.

Good to see they have managed to make the new player experience even worse than it already was!!

(Honestly the campaign is actually a lot of fun).

I’ve not played it for about 9 months but I think there are two options when you start the game. You want the Reassemble campaign option. It might make more sense then.

Jeez of all the things to copy from Destiny 2 not telegraphing the main campaign was not one you wanted to emulate (and I have a real soft spot for this game flaws and all!)

Deleted my save and tried from scratch. I’d picked the first option which says “Play Now”

Giving campaign a go now. Hope the rest of it is better than the front end UI

I've just finished the main campaign, here's my review:

Spoiler

Good stuff:

The story is pretty decent. Kamala as the main character to begin with works well, especially after watching the Ms Marvel series.

As with the GoTG game, I soon got over the fact that they weren't the MCU actors & voices.

Gameplay is fine, if a bit button mashy at times.

Bad Stuff:

The front end is a huge mess. Menu after menu of confusion with a really inconsistent UI.

I never got into the detail of what specific items I'd collected could do, all I ever did was hold L2 on the character screen to auto select stuff.

At multiple points, the game gave me a message about how some old in game currency/items were no longer in use. I don't care, I've never played it before so don't even know what you're on about.

There's so much stuff. Spend the entire game collecting things you don't really feel like you're using.

Cosmetics are locked under a $$$ paywall. I collected so many items but couldn't even trade them for a costume.

Once I'd finished the main campaign, Nick Fury turned up and proceeded to tell me all about how the War Table worked. You know, the same War Table I'd been using throughout the main campaign.

In short: A reasonable single player game hidden amongst a messy UI that feels like it was probably built for online gaming.