Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

• 1 month later...

Although I had finished the campaign on this a couple of months ago, I hadn't felt the urge to try any of the post-game content (what content, lol etc) but my other half - who has only seen 3 or 4 of the MCU films wanted to start going through them from the beginning and it got me wanting to play this.

I did a couple of the training missions that I hadn't previously that introduced some concepts I hadn't otherwise learned (status effects and the stun meter), which instantly added a little more to the repertoire and then I dived into some multiplayer missions - and I actually had quite a bit of fun! I worry for the player levels, as in my 90 minutes or so I was matched with only about 4 different people (one with a power level of 150 to my paltry 23, and we never a full human-controlled team), but even so it felt pretty good to just run around and bring carnage to the world. Of course, the nature of MMOs the world over is that enemies are always going to be the same but require a bit more punching - so you never truly feel as destructive and powerful as you should, but as I'm opening up more moves it's becoming a bit better.

The game still has big problems - offscreen attacks with no audible or visual clues are mighty annoying, the special attacks all feel pretty limp, the content really is threadbare and loot is never going to be particularly interesting, no matter what loot 2.0 brings whenever that is out - but the core combat is actually surprisingly decent and certainly more so than a playthrough of the campaign would have you believe.

If it survives for any period of time I can see me dipping in and out every once in a while when I fancy some mindless punching, though I fully accept those core issues are unlikely to be or just cannot adequately be fixed within the constraints of the engine/mechanics/licensing (honestly, even rubbish or boring loot is made slightly better if you can see it actually represented on the character).

This will likely fall on deaf ears, but is anybody still dabbling every once in a while and, if so, how has your experience changed (if it has)?

• 3 weeks later...

To me, this feels like a DEFCON 1, shut the servers down completely situation. There’s no telling how damaging this could be, and no one is going to know about this problem unless they are keenly attuned to specific social media accounts (like mine) because not even the official Avengers account is saying the bit about the IP address, at the time I’m writing this. They have to pull this patch down, if not shut the game off entirely until this is resolved.

That's a bit OTT isn't it?  Surely this only affects streamers?

13 hours ago, PK said:

That's a bit OTT isn't it?  Surely this only affects streamers?

Yes, you'd think seeing your own IP was hearing the true name of god or something for that. Obviously written from a streamers POV, so very skewed. It's like those 'mute copyrighted music' things options in the menu. Has there ever been anything so niche is a console's options?

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

£15.99 in Smyth's for the PS5 version.

Worth it?

On the assumption of you being a big Marvel fan and only playing the campaign, I'd say yes.

(Bizarrely if you did want to do the online grind I would say no, it's not worth it for that price, because it's so frustrating.)

12 minutes ago, tnman said:

On the assumption of you being a big Marvel fan and only playing the campaign, I'd say yes.

(Bizarrely if you did want to do the online grind I would say no, it's not worth it for that price, because it's so frustrating.)

Yeah, campaign only.

I'm a Marvel fan (I know this is more Avongers than Avengers) and my 6 year old is starting to get into them too so for sub-£20 I thought it might be worth it.

Yeah if you’re a marvel fan, it’s worth it for the campaign. I wouldn’t recommend going any further though- it’s still bugged to hell, and with loads of stupid gameplay choices. An example- one point in a level, you have to activate a terminal and get your whole team together. A door opens, and what’s behind it? An elevator, where you have to press a button, and get the whole team together. I don’t know why this stupid infrastructural elements like this are in a game in 2021 anyway, but having two of them??

That almost grates more than all the remaining bugs like missions failing to progress to the next stage, starting a mission in the middle of an endless ocean, and enemies getting stuck in scenery or standing in mid air. It also still shows your starting party on the ground for a split second before the intro cutscene plays for each multiplayer level, which has been a bug since day one.

I’m assuming there’s only a skeleton crew left on it at this point, and all the staff with relevant knowledge of the game are working on something else. That’s the only explanation I can think of as to why all these issues still over a year later.

The main campaign is excellent really; a neatly told origin story for Ms Marvel who is massively charming and a game that basically crosses the new Tomb Raiders with a character action brawler.

The 3 DLCs basically iterate on this as whatever the future of the game the Wakanda expansion clearly had a lot of money thrown at it and they basically double the length of the game for free. They are worth playing for sure if you enjoyed the main game.

The Avengers Initiative games as a service end game stuff remains disastrous and best avoided but for £16 there is 20 hours of decent game in there now and the fan service is fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Will take a look at it but not expecting much. 

I was looking forward to this game back before it launched right up until they announced that Spiderman was PS exclusive (I was Xbox only at the time), and so refused to buy out of annoyance.  The subsequent naff reviews made it an easy decision to stick with, even when the price plummeted.  As far as I know they never even bothered to release the Spiderman content in the end due to the shite sales.

1 hour ago, Waggo said:

Will take a look at it but not expecting much. 

I was looking forward to this game back before it launched right up until they announced that Spiderman was PS exclusive (I was Xbox only at the time), and so refused to buy out of annoyance.  The subsequent naff reviews made it an easy decision to stick with, even when the price plummeted.  As far as I know they never even bothered to release the Spiderman content in the end due to the shite sales.

Spider-Man is still supposedly coming later this year but it’s blatantly just going to be the character and very little new content.

I’d refer to my comments a few posts above, I really liked it…flaws not disputed but the main campaign is certainly neither broken nor janky (the post game GASS stuff…well best just ignore that).

36 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Spider-Man is still supposedly coming later this year but it’s blatantly just going to be the character and very little new content.

I’d refer to my comments a few posts above, I really liked it…flaws not disputed but the main campaign is certainly neither broken nor janky (the post game GASS stuff…well best just ignore that).

Cool will definitely give it a go for nothing.  With such low expectations I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

From what I can tell there’s a co-op mode, right? So me and my one friend can play the campaign together? To those who have played the game - can we both play together from the get-go, or do we have to play solo up to a certain point?

The co-op is mainly for the post game GASS shit (the Avengers initiative) so most of the campaign is solo only (as most of the time you are on your own in the story missions).

Theres a couple of missions that are from the war table that you have to play as part of the campaign and you can do multiplayer on those but for the most part the campaign is a single player only experience.

And note that the solo missions are the okay-ish bits from the campaign. Those forced war table missions during the campaign are nowhere near the same quality. Yes, you can play those bits in co-op but it only serves as a preview if how shite the post-campaign multiplayer stuff is. I recommend just mashing through those mission as quickly as possible to return to the okay-ish part of the game.

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

Theres a couple of missions that are from the war table that you have to play as part of the campaign and you can do multiplayer on those but for the most part the campaign is a single player only experience

I just reached the first war table mission.  Having enjoying the low friction Ms Marvel experience to that point, my first thought  on that mission was that if this is the game from now on I'm out.  Might play past it now.

I wonder how they ended up making this game so bad. There's a lot they could have done with the avengers, a solid game in the style of God of war would have been decent enough. A top town loot em up. A fighting game. 

17 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I wonder how they ended up making this game so bad. There's a lot they could have done with the avengers, a solid game in the style of God of war would have been decent enough. A top town loot em up. A fighting game. 

They tried to make two different games at the same time. A traditional story based affair which played to the studios experience with the tomb raiders and a multiplayer endless GASS which they had never done before and made a right hash of as even the best of these games frequently struggle.

If they’d just focused on the single player it would have been a great and polished game but Square wanted one of those never ending games that kept the cash registers flowing long after release and this is what we ended up with.

49 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I just reached the first war table mission.  Having enjoying the low friction Ms Marvel experience to that point, my first thought  on that mission was that if this is the game from now on I'm out.  Might play past it now.

Theres only a couple of war table missions in the campaign and there is a lot of good stuff after that point.