Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

They said they give access to priority faction missions - but I can just see the same one (bugged as not reset this week)

The faction vendors seem to have a higher chance to sell yellow gear (that you out level fast) And most importantly they sell iso8/minor artifacts which are normally choke points of increasing your power 

Priority faction missions aren’t locked behind faction rank though are they? Or at least the only ones I’ve seen aren’t.

And artifacts are the only items which aren’t looked behind rank either. So really there seems to be no real benefit to do it other than the level up rewards, which seem pretty minor (apart from the odd pattern). Surely they must have been meant to do more than this originally? Or maybe they’ll be adding something later, but again it just smacks of how half-baked the game is.

Just now, Retroguy said:

Priority faction missions aren’t locked behind faction rank though are they? Or at least the only ones I’ve seen aren’t.

The pop up specifically says it unlocks...something like that. It’s so wierd. 

Im also really confused why the campaign had comics/intel in it - but you can’t replay. Do they later have a chance to come from chests?

Minor artifacts can also give faction rep boosts? Why? :lol:

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

The pop up specifically says it unlocks...something like that. It’s so wierd. 

Im also really confused why the campaign had comics/intel in it - but you can’t replay. Do they later have a chance to come from chests?

Minor artifacts can also give faction rep boosts? Why? :lol:

Haha really?? You can’t replay campaign missions to get the intel you missed??

Yeah you get additional comics from chests and also from mission rewards (the ones that you can repeat), which obviously then allow you to get multiple copies to increase the bonus.

Did you know that the different statuses you can infect enemies with are grouped into two different categories? And that once an enemy becomes infected with one type, if you hit him with the other type, he’ll take increased damage? I’m not sure it tells you that anywhere in the game.

Avengers is one of the strangest gaming experiences I've had.  I thought the campaign was good - started and ended impressively, lacked ambition, but had good character and heart.  Now I'm in the endgame it's a different story.  If I wasn't enjoying it, I wouldn't keep logging on an playing a mission each night.  But I'm aware that part of what makes it enjoyable is the morbid curiosity factor, the window onto a disaster of quite epic proportions.  Because while the single player just about holds together technically, the endgame is beyond messy.  I didn't have a single crash during the campaign - the odd glitch on sound or especially facial animation, but otherwise just a straightforward playthrough.  But in the endgame i've never successfully got into a game with any other players, and 3 out of the 4 missions i've done have ended in various types of crash.

Yeah I think I'm done for a bit. At least until they patch matchmaking.

There just isn't enough drive to do that same 7 activities in the same 8 rooms again and again to get numbers up. Doing hard content doesn't seem to give better rewards so why bother?

It's easy to get into OCD trying to do a challenge card or dailies - but there doesn't really seem to be a point.

I wonder how much got cut (or left for "DLC"). E.g. they mention "They're cloning our enemies" as a mission set up but it's always Taskmaster. How many were cut/left to be released later?

There’s no way it’s going to come close to fixing all the bugs though- there are literally hundreds. Every time I play the game, I notice new ones. It’s going to take ages for them to fix them all, let alone any optimisation that sorely needs doing (if they even can do anything to fix the performance issues). And the matchmaking issues remained from the beta, so I’m not sure that’ll be fixed any time soon.

Today I had the sound cutting out in the menus, noticed that when you get the notification about a hero dying it usually mentions the wrong one, enemies I had to kill on the undersea base fell through the floor so I had to reload the checkpoint, and on the mission select screen I lost the option at the bottom for instant missions or to visit the base.

I can see this doing an Anthem and plans for future content being drastically curtailed.

10 hours ago, Retroguy said:

I can see this doing an Anthem and plans for future content being drastically curtailed.

Any indications on how this has sold?

I find the war table stuff very confusing.  Other than a very small number, the missions available after completing the single player always seem to be aimed at massively higher power levels than i have.  So there doesn't seem to be a steady progression of mission difficulties.  Very, very odd.

52 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

I find the war table stuff very confusing.  Other than a very small number, the missions available after completing the single player always seem to be aimed at massively higher power levels than i have.  So there doesn't seem to be a steady progression of mission difficulties.  Very, very odd.

It was number 1 on release week and last week so it's done 'well' I guess.

1 hour ago, Sixkiller said:

I saw one person on PS4 list playing launch weekend and that’s it.

Doesnt look well on steam 

https://steamcharts.com/app/997070

And yeah the ‘what you do’ endgame is odd (like so much)

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

I wonder how late in the day this became GaaS. It sounds like there’s a solid single-player game (Mass Effect 2 inspired?) with no real concept of replayability alongside the buggy Destiny-alike.

Well it was set to be announced for at least one E3 but never materialized. Maybe two in a row even thinking about it. That theory would fit with the weird way it just kept getting pushed forwards and once they finally did announce it, literally the first thing they said was that the game was going to have a lot of DLC and microtransactions. Please be excited. I can't find the footage right now, but if I recall correctly they didn't even show the game or the characters themselves - they just jabbered on about DLC for 10 minutes. It was extremely off-putting and weird and smacked of a marketing team pressing on with a totally misguided approach designed to please shareholders - MICROTRANSACTIONS DLC DLC ARE YOU EXCITED

The boxed sales for Marvel’s Avengers in the UK reached 56,000 copies across both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. This represents less than 1/3 of Marvel’s Spider-Man’s sales, which sold 190,000 during the same period on PlayStation 4 alone.

But like I said physical isn’t a particularly meaningful metric anymore.

This is still a total shitshow.

Menus still don’t work, sometimes the comics don’t appear, and the sound still stops working in them randomly. You still see your team at the start of the mission on the ground for a second before the mission cutscene kicks in. I just did a one player mission as Cap with Ironman, Thor, Ms Marvel and...ironman. Which is a new bug I haven’t seen before.

Annnd, the big one, matchmatching is still screwed. Even choosing the quick match option, you won’t get more than 2 other people joining you, tops. How is something so intrinsic to the game (which by the way was the ‘reason’ they embargoed reviews, because multiplayer was such an intrinsic part of the game they couldn’t possibly allow it to be reviewed with it) still broken????

This continues to be the most bugged AAA game I’ve seen in years.

So reached the ‘end’ of the post game campaign 

It’s a Mega Hive. Only one character at a time (no AI or online Teammates) and if one Avenger falls you go through your roster

If they are high enough level/gear 

Only my cap is high enough. This might be problematic.

The matchmaking in this is still so incredibly bugged. I finally get into a 4 person group doing quick action, but the game fails to actually load a mission from any of the other three people. I try again, one person joins in the lobby, but there’s weird visual corruption over where the mission name should be and eventually he leaves. I try again, one person joins, then suddenly we’re joined by two AI companions in the lobby, and I can’t start a game and neither can the other person. I go in again, I’m immediately joined by three AI companions, and can’t do anything despite it saying it’s trying to find people to join my game.

There’s so far to go even just to get it to a basic functioning standpoint, let alone the other thousands of bugs. And that’s even before you get to all the other obvious problems with the gameplay.

It’s such a shame because when it works, it really gets the feeling of playing in a super powered team so well. It’s one of the only team games where you can actually see the difference you make, because you see that exact same thing in your team mates. A hammer flies by, I know it’s Thor, and as it pins an enemy to the wall, I get in a few shots as it’s trapped there. Ironman is flying around above me taking out the other hovering enemies and picking off gun turrets. Hulk lands like a meteor next to me, and grabs an enemy trying to flank me, smashing it from side to side. It’s awesome.

But oh boy, you wonder what the hell must have gone wrong internally for them to have had to release the game in a state when even the most basic multiplayer functionality is still crippled beyond belief.

You know what? I'm actually having a good time with this.

I've got Captain to about power 148 (upgrade modules are too rare), and I'm taking turns getting the others up.

When it works, it's great. Matchmaking is much better now, and now I've leveled up my AI companion skills missions are amazing spectacles. 

It's still buggy and janky as fuck (though updates are fixing a lot), and it needs much much more content (and variety in environments/enemies/bosses) but the gameplay loop is fun (for an hour or so a day).

The characters are also starting to feel pretty distinct as skills/gear comes into play - but that's post campaign and a good commitment to each later. It's amazing how much of the gameplay is hidden away for that long. You start to "feel" the options for each characters builds about level 25-30 (out of 50). I finished the campaign with no one above level 10. I didnt find missions with AI much cop until I have a team at 25+ using abilites and options unlocked/

Despite getting more than one patch a week, this is still an absolute clusterfuck. Presumably because they're rushing fixes so much that they're not testing them properly, and causing as many bugs as they're fixing.

As Hulk, I just ran a mission with Cap, two Black Widows, and two Ironmen. It might have been fun, but when I got to the end of the vault mission, enemies failed to spawn, so I had to stand around and defend an area for ages against no enemies until a meter was filled. Great.

There are still tons of massive bugs. Matchmaking is still screwed, so that the scaling level you play on can sometimes be either way too easy for you, due to other players being way lower level, or way too hard and you die in two hits because you've been matched with level 50 players when you're mid 20s. God knows how the game is choosing this level of challenge, as at times it feels totally random.

Enemies still fall through walls/floors. You still fall through walls/floors. Enemies can see you through walls, so when you get to areas where you need to trigger a console to move on (and why the hell do these even exist in 2020????), sometimes when you're waiting the 10 seconds for other players before you advance, the enemies have been triggered. If this next area is one where you're supposed to be defending troops, they'll be busy getting hammered so when you eventually get to move through to it, they're pretty much dead and it's an insta-fail. Or enemies will be cluttered up around the doorway and will stagger attack you to unavoidable death.

I can't see how we're ever going to get to the stage of new characters getting released as they've got an almost insurmountable load of work to do, and they're getting nowhere. And this is again even before you examine the total lack of content or other gameplay issues.

As I've said before, and Hexx reiterates though, it's a damn shame as the character gameplay itself is really good. I keep playing it after each new patch to see if the bugs are any better, but I'm always disappointed. Think this is a case of giving up, this is going to go the way of Anthem.