Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

I'm really enjoying it. It's just like the Marvel movies. You're not getting the deepest story / features, but what you do get is really enjoyable. I can sit and play it and have fun without having to give 100% of my focus. 

It's certainly grabbed me more than some other more serious games recently. It's fun. That's what's important to me in a game. The campaign story is great so far too. 

Yes I was surprised at how much the story took me in and much I punishing for the character.  Really is a well done and made game  

I finished it this morning, the campaign was great, absolutely loved it.
I was pretty under powered at the end especially the final mission was quite tough. I skipped most of the side missions to plough through as I didnt want to do any multiplayer before I'd completed the campaign (thanks to the spoiler warning when you pick it at the main menu). 

Edit: You can go back to any skipped side missions post campaign as info. You can press up on the d-pad at the wartable to swap modes

The lack of polish in this supposed AAA title is staggering. Just done Thor's tutorial, and the on-screen prompt says his support ability grants nearby team members temporary invisibility. Only, they don't mean invisibility, they mean invincibility.

Just realised too that although I've got matchmaking on by default, it actually doesn't work. You have to switch it off and then on again each time for it to actively look for other people to join you on multiplayer missions. What the hell were they doing with that like 4 month delay and the beta test??

It's the random crashes for me (PC). I'm actually really enjoying the gameplay, got Cap levelled to a point where i'm just chaining takedowns and ultimates like a badass, but when I get two thirds of the way through a long mission and the game just abruptly dies it's really frustrating. At least gear and xp progression is saved so it's not a total loss I suppose, but this really needed more time in the oven. I get that QA isn't exactly easy at the moment but the amount of people that are going to be put off by all the horror stories is probably going to cost them more than a few more months of polish would have.

Also, Nolan North was a bad choice for Tony Stark, all I hear is Deadpool with the amount of quips he does.

Yeah I’ve had about 4-5 crashes too on the ps version, one two minutes into the very first level lol

Takedowns?? Haha wait til you realise you can knock an enemy into the air so he’s floating with the takedown prompt, and there’s absolutely nothing you can do to trigger it- this game is so messed up!!!

Such a pity as it could be so good- there’s a real sense of impact with all the attacks. You feel Thor’s hammer smacking the enemy, and the impact of hulk crashing down from above. I just can’t believe the number of bugs still present in the game.

I actually sitll quite like the combat when it's just me and a handful of enemies. I was doing the training room mission with Black Widow and having a good time with it. Using the grapple line to zip between enemies is good fun.

Then I went in to some MP missions, and the moment you've got 4 characters and a dozen or so enemies materialising and teleporting all over the place it goes to shit.

You simply cannot know what's going on around you while you're trying to focus on a particular enemy. And there are always loads of projectile firing enemies chipping away from distance. You'll get hit by a laser mid combo. Or you'll be about to parry and an unblockable attack warning appears from something off screen. Plus the frame rate can make your inputs unreliable.

Post-campaign this is the norm, and it becomes the most mindless, boring mess. Edit: I don't see what all the fuss is about with the campaign either. It's OK, but doesn't do anything I haven't seen many times before.

I’d say so, but it might depend on your viewpoint as to what the bad elements are.

For me, they’ve done a pretty good job of making the characters feel as themselves- I was playing a mission as Ironman, hovering around using rockets to take out weak points on a boss whilst another playing was busy damaging its legs as black widow.

And the impact of the moves is great- as Cap you can do one of his signature flying drop kicks. Unlike it most brawlers where your target would absorb the hit and just take some damage, here, the normal size mobs will smack straight back, usually into a wall. It’s very satisfying.

The campaign is a weird one- I liked the story telling elements, but the gameplay could have been better. The penultimate level ended with the most 90s boss fight ever in a movie-set like town, took ages and then bugged out near the end and almost never finished. But the last level is an amazing bombastic set piece where all the characters get a moment to shine. Since I’m assuming there’s very little ‘plot’ element now, I’m surprised they actually didn’t mete out more cookie cutter levels between story chunks, since towards the end they come thick and fast.

But there are so many bugs, as I’ve noted. So many things which should have been fixed. The main killer for me is the frame rate, which is totally unacceptable.

Also, the level structure is really weird too- you know how in the Simpsons they joke that Night Boat always has to have an inlet, or a fjord to fight crime? Well here, it’s elevators. Fricking elevators in almost all the levels to hide loading. It’s just ridiculous. It’s like the tech just can’t support the game they were trying to make. And it’s amazingly inconsistent. In some levels, when you fall, you get put back immediately on the nearest ledge. In other levels, it’s instadeath and a longggg loading screen.

I have yet to find any other players in matchmaking. Seems its totally fucked. 

Had numerous game breaking bugs as well and it really struggles on base ps4 quite a lot. 

Im not giving this game multiple chances. I just want to finish the campaign and hopefully sell it on for £40. Maybe if i could, you know, actually play this multiplayer focused game with other people it would be more fun but right now its just annoying me. 

4 minutes ago, Ry said:

I have yet to find any other players in matchmaking. Seems its totally fucked. 

Had numerous game breaking bugs as well and it really struggles on base ps4 quite a lot. 

Im not giving this game multiple chances. I just want to finish the campaign and hopefully sell it on for £40. Maybe if i could, you know, actually play this multiplayer focused game with other people it would be more fun but right now its just annoying me. 

Someone up thread said something about having to restart matchmaking or summat.

6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Someone up thread said something about having to restart matchmaking or summat.

I try that each mission. Doesnt work. Just sits at searching. After a couple mins i give up.

When you’re trying matchmaking, make sure that it says something like ‘looking for player’ in each of the remaining slots. For me, although I have it switched on, the default screen just has blank slots until I switch it off and on again. But yeah for a lot of missions I wasn’t able to find more than one other person joining my session after waiting five minutes. There’s also no pop-up prompt to tell you when someone joins either, so say you’re killing time by looking at your character sheet- you won’t know someone’s joined until you go back to that screen.

Thinking about upcoming DLC, if they’re only releasing one character at a time, surely that’s going to be a major problem with anyone trying to find a multiplayer game? Since you can only have one of each character in a multiplayer game, surely most people are going to want to play that new character, and be sat around matchmaking for ages...

Are we sure that the problem is matchmaking, and not that the majority of players are finishing the campaign then not playing the Destiny stuff at the end? In fact do we have any indication of what sales are like yet? Maybe the matchmaking is fine but nobody bought it.

Still really enjoying the campaign - reached the bit where Thor returns last night and thought it was properly impressive.  However, how good that section was only serves as a reminder what a Frankenstein game this is - a campaign that goes from the sublime to the ridiculous at times.  I'm guessing I've not got that long left in the single player now, as there's only Captain America left to join up with the team.  Not tried matchmaking so far - not something that would ever occur to me to do in a single player campaign - I don't trust other players to not find some way to act like a turd during my fleeting amount of gaming time.

One thing I've found really strange was the fact it introduces the new heroes in the thick of the action and makes you do missions with them, but all the while there are useful tutorials on them back in the training simulator thing.  But it never prompts you or gives you a particularly opportune moment to try them out.  I really struggled through the Black Widow level, enjoying it immensely but getting frustrated by the long load times because I was getting my arse kicked.  With that out of the way, though, and the simulator complete, I now feel like i could go back and breeze that level having now learnt about how the character works.  It's a bizarrely back-to-front approach.  When you first assume control of the new characters it really needs to give a full rundown of their controls/powers, not just the odd pointer.

Its tutorial system is a mess. There are things in it that I'd encountered numerous times just following the main path. And then I'd find another hours later and it suddenly decides to explain it.

The way it introduces the characters in the prologue is all over the place as well, and then it doesn't recap everything when they return later, except for certain moves that it creates a special scene for. I usually ended up going into the upgrade menu when I got control for the first time to read up on all the moves.

IIRC all the tips and tutorials aren't even presented in a consistent way.

On 02/09/2020 at 17:14, Mr. Gerbik said:

Huge Marvel nerd here! And thanks to the mighty marvelous miracle of game sharing, it's clobbering time later this week true believer!

In other words, I'll let you know. Love marvel, love brawlers, hate destiny like online games. Should be interesting!

Are you ready for this?

The license is what saves it. It makes the game the mediocre okay-ish range. The good bits in the campaign, are the traditional single player parts. But those are really really simplified. Mostly you're pushing forward to see the game happening - but it looks great at those times, Kamala as the lead is brilliantly charming, and it's great seeing the cheesy story unfold with your favourite heroes. It's simplistic in the extreme, but also you're Hulk smashing stuff so who cares.

Then you get a bunch of multiplayer focused missions and the quality drops faster than a stoned tourist into the canals in Amsterdam. Generic copy pasta sandboxy levels which repeat the same 5 objectives *and* the same 5 buildings over and over again. And with humongous loading times in between areas. Why Hulk ride puny elevator for 5 minutes?! Hulk want SSD or HULK SMASH.

There are a handful of exciting multiplayer bits, the first time you fight against one of the two building sized enemies for example and you have to work together. But then you see those mega enemies over and over again and the second time is already not impressive.

And the bugs. My god, the bugs. If only someone could snap their fingers to eliminate at least half the bugs because that would already be a massive difference. From the funny ones - a mission objective marker obscuring Thor's face during the campaign's final cutscene I shit you not - to less funny ones like hoping the game is able to actually load you out of the mission after completing it instead of just getting stuck. 

The endgame (insert lol here) is just not there. I admit, playing as Hulk and grabbing a big robot and then Thor suddenly grabbing the other side to smash it with his hammer, is a fucking great moment for Marvel nerds like me. Bjt those are moments are few, in-between battling the terrible fucking performance (playing on a 1X) and the game bugging out and those loading times oh God, you're left wondering if this game will even exist a year from now. 

How did it sell?

24 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

How did it sell?

21 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Well that answers that question.

Anyway, yes Kamala is awesome in this game (also the most fun to play btw and the only one who doesn't come across as an extremely gullible moron in the story they tell). Made me go and check out her 2014 series on Marvel Unlimited. Three issues in, and you know what? Awesome! Read that instead of playing this.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Well that answers that question.

Anyway, yes Kamala is awesome. Made me go and check out her 2014 series on Marvel Unlimited. Three issues in, and you know what? Awesome! Read that instead of playing this.

Abso-fucking-lutely. It's warm and funny and sincere and meaningful and loads of other things mainstream comics aren't supposed to be. I fucking loves her, I do.

kamala.png.0753257776ac9f01034816ee37c9bc54.png

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Absol-fucking-lutely. It's warm and funny and sincere and meaningful and loads of other things mainstream comics aren't supposed to be. I fucking loves her, I do.

kamala.png.0753257776ac9f01034816ee37c9bc54.png

Yep, I'm a fan now too. This should have been a proper single player Kamala game with the Avengers making some token cameo appearances.

32 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

https://www.monster-shop.co.uk/product/marvel-avengers-xboxone/

£37 to you, squire.

After hearing a lot about the Kamala bits I'm pissed that they seemingly have been lost in the signal noise of the Avenegers license and the mediocre loot em up nature of the game, because by all accounts she's fucking awesome. The character deserves better than that.

£34.99 there now.

Giving it a go at that price, but somehow I missed out my street name on the shipping address.:lol:

Should still get to me with the house number and postcode.....hopefully.

5 minutes ago, tnman said:

I thought this was one of those ones where the new console just goes *boop* and you have the shinier faster version?

Yeah, you're right. Hopefully it will have been polished up by then for new console owners excitedly jumping in for the first time.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've added this to my steam wishlist (I have a PC with an nvme SSD to counter the load times), so will wait for the inevitable email telling me it's on sale. 

I enjoyed it just for being able to play as the Hulk and take part in a silly Marvel adventure. I suspect you will have a good time with it as Thor for the same reasons - if you get it cheap.