Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

Here's my review: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/marvels-avengers-game/

I had more goodwill towards it for the first 2/3s of the campaign, by which I mean it was basically OK. But that's been streadily draining away since I did the final stages then moved on to post-game content. And since I saw how much they're charging for cosmetic add-ons.

32 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I played the Beta and I thought the actual combat was horribly one-dimensional, requiring little to no thought and carried no real threat. As many have said before playing Hulk felt exactly like Thor in terms of environment and enemy interaction. Then the flying section with Iron Man was just awful.

So... does the full game continue this trend? Because my son is off his nut for Avengers right now and would lose his mind over this game but when most of the Lego Marvel and DC games are already available on PS Now and actually implement the diversity of the character powers really well, why should I (or anyone for that matter) pick this up?

I think making the characters feel distinct is one thing it does reasonably well, at least in combat. Outside of combat, obviously a couple of characters can fly, but the rest pretty much play the same. 

5 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Here's my review: https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/marvels-avengers-game/

I had more goodwill towards it for the first 2/3s of the campaign, by which I mean it was basically OK. But that's been streadily draining away since I did the final stages then moved on to post-game content. And since I saw how much they're charging for cosmetic add-ons.

I think making the characters feel distinct is one thing it does reasonably well, at least in combat. Outside of combat, obviously a couple of characters can fly, but the rest pretty much play the same. 

That's a good review and you raise and expand upon the point I mentioned after my experience of the beta - that none of the characters have any defined roles, so where are any gameplay differences down the line? As you say, what will new characters bring to the table - will they bring story content with them?

@BadgerFarmer

As Kamala, you scamper around an Avengers-themed fair, searching the stalls for a set of comic books that grants access to a VIP area. You explore a little and complete a few simple tasks to open the boxes containing your rewards. In hindsight, prioritising this treasure hunt over any action is a statement of intent – Marvel’s Avengers is a game about opening boxes to level up.[/quote ]

:-D

How's that a straw man?

Also, I don't own this game. I'm not going to buy this game. I think it looks shit. But I'm curious if a mechanic whereby a game that uses loot drops to make super heroes feel more powerful annoyed people or not in a different game which also did it.  

For me it's the implementation of it rather than the mere existence of it. In this case i think it infects everything from level design to story, and aims to artificially prolong a game that has very little to offer after its opening hours.

I don't know much about Injustice 2. But I can see how it could be less intrusive in a vs fighter structure.

Can someone advise what these green things are? I see than after fights in random areas and all signs point to being a resource or something plbut I can't pick them up.

Edit: It's health. Silly me

Screenshot_20200905-161037.png

21 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

How's that a straw man?

Also, I don't own this game. I'm not going to buy this game. I think it looks shit. But I'm curious if a mechanic whereby a game that uses loot drops to make super heroes feel more powerful annoyed people or not in a different game which also did it.  

Yes. But at least in injustice the loot was cosmetic, which is most of the appeal of loot systems, to me at least. They're not doing that here so they can sell you cosmetics instead. 

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yes. But at least in injustice the loot was cosmetic, which is most of the appeal of loot systems, to me at least. They're not doing that here so they can sell you cosmetics instead. 

I take it you mean in the sense that equipping it actually changed what you look like, since it also provided stat upgrades?

Does all the shite you find in marvel not actually change the look of your character? That's terrible!

Unsurprisingly, Jim Sterling fucking hated this. Said it's the epitome of everything wrong with the games industry today. 

4 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I take it you mean in the sense that equipping it actually changed what you look like, since it also provided stat upgrades?

Does all the shite you find in marvel not actually change the look of your character? That's terrible!

Exactly. In Injustice 2 you could make the characters look pretty cool, it was a fun element to the game. It's just stat boosts and the like because cosmetic skins are a separate thing to unlock (or buy). 

It's as if in Division 2 you had to buy a cool looking backpack or grind for xp to unlock one whenever you felt like a change of look or whatever. 

You get 3 or 4 or more of each equipment type in every mission, and usually just go to the menu screen, press the 'equip best gear' button and move on without even looking at it. Weighing up the different perks they offer has felt like a waste of time so far. I just go for whatever has the highest power rating.

But I think (I haven't actually checked) it's the only way you can level up tour stats. XP levels only give you skill points.

How are you guys enjoying it?

I'm 3 hours in and it's ok so far. Enjoyed the opening hour, very bombastic. 

Just got to the campaign where you open up the war table. And did one mission which wasn't good to be fair.

I know I'm only early on but I have a feeling if the studio had focused on a linear campaign it would be better but just need to wait and see. I can't see me grinding missions and stuff, it will be a one and done with the campaign. 

Also, Kamala is an irritating wee shite. 

5 hours ago, Ry said:

How are you guys enjoying it?

I'm 3 hours in and it's ok so far. Enjoyed the opening hour, very bombastic. 

Just got to the campaign where you open up the war table. And did one mission which wasn't good to be fair.

I know I'm only early on but I have a feeling if the studio had focused on a linear campaign it would be better but just need to wait and see. I can't see me grinding missions and stuff, it will be a one and done with the campaign. 

Also, Kamala is an irritating wee shite. 

Im 11 Hours in, really enjoying it. Not even going to attempt to disuade anyone thats already made up thier mind but I'll basically say this is superhero Anthem.
Absolutely love Kamala, was utterly wrong about who I thought I'd  like to play and who I actually do like playing. everyone feels very different apart from basic attacks.
Combat is quite different from the beta with lots of tactical changes and skill trees changing your version of each hero a lot. 
It takes ages to unlock anyone via the story but I recommend you do play it as its really quite fun.
Dying causes a ridiculously long loading screen.

This is such a strange game- when it works, and it all comes together, playing with other people online is amazing, fighting alongside hulk and Ironman, seeing them smash and destroy stuff in their signature style, it really nails the feel of a superhero game.

But the bugs. So many bugs. Even stupid things like going in to see your collectibles, and the comics don’t appear. Loading a multiplayer mission and for a second you see all of you standing at the start of the map before the cutscene showing you exiting the quinjet kicks in. The pop up messages telling you to collect faction rewards when you can’t access that part of the helicarrier. The tutorial pop-ups repeating the same messages. Considering this was delayed, I can’t believe these weren’t ironed out.

And the big one- the frame rate. I’m playing on a PS pro on ‘performance mode’, and even in some of the single player missions without even an AI sidekicks, it slows to a crawl when a couple of particle effects are in use. And I say that as someone who doesn’t really care if a game is 30fps. God knows how it fairs on the base consoles.

This should have been next-gen only. Playing alongside two people online, which is presumably how they want you playing the game and where the ‘meat’ is outside of the campaign, and it’s almost a slide show when combat kicks off- frames dropping regularly, and enemies seemingly blinking around. It’s a real shame.

On 06/09/2020 at 01:27, mechamonkey said:

Dying causes a ridiculously long loading screen.

This is a huge bugbear for me, especially as the game throws up bigger challenges.  Sincerely hope the forthcoming "SSD generation" and free upgrade of this game on PS5 will solve that particular negative.

Enjoying this so far and I was quite impressed with the graphics too. Don't quite get why this is being bashed so much. Its not perfect but its hardly terrible. Hate the loading screens betwen deaths mind, hopefully the next gen will fix issues like loading screens 

13 minutes ago, Mega CD said:

Enjoying this so far and I was quite impressed with the graphics too. Don't quite get why this is being bashed so much. Its not perfect but its hardly terrible. Hate the loading screens betwen deaths mind, hopefully the next gen will fix issues like loading screens 

I think it's more the rampantly cynical microtransaction bullshit and that they went for a lowest common denominator style of game that doesn't play the to strengths of a super hero brand.

I'm really enjoying it. It's just like the Marvel movies. You're not getting the deepest story / features, but what you do get is really enjoyable. I can sit and play it and have fun without having to give 100% of my focus. 

It's certainly grabbed me more than some other more serious games recently. It's fun. That's what's important to me in a game. The campaign story is great so far too. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I think it's more the rampantly cynical microtransaction bullshit and that they went for a lowest common denominator style of game that doesn't play the to strengths of a super hero brand.

One gets the issues over microtransaction but the main game is great there's a decent story in it with a quite charming central character in it. It really is like taking part in one of their films.