Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

31 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's going to be interesting to compare! :D

Anyone here love all three things?

In the cinema every morning opening day to catch the first showing of the latest MCU film, Streets of Rage 4 might be the best game of the year and have enjoyed my time with Destiny but got lost at some point with the second one and it's bad UI/UX and expansion signposting.

Thought the beta was absolutely awful but thanks to the power of game sharing I have put a couple of hours into this. If I were working at Crystal Dynamics I would be absolutely furious with how Square Enix have marketed this, targeting the Destiny crowd instead of promoting what is quite a well told and fun Marvel story.

Now I don't know how I'd feel by the end of it and if it's only ten hours I'd probably wait until it was cheaper but I have had so much fun with this so far. It's an excellent portrayal of Ms Marvel and so nice to see them use the story to highlight a different character.

It is kind of one of those push forward and occasionally hit A button games that people like to hate if it has a Tomb Raider name attached whilst creaming themselves over What Remains of Edith Finch?, Gone Home etc.

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

It is kind of one of those push forward and occasionally hit A button games that people like to hate if it has a Tomb Raider name attached whilst creaming themselves over What Remains of Edith Finch?, Gone Home etc.

I think the issue with Tomb Raider is that franchise fans are expecting an action game, not a visual novel. Or that the story is shite compared to Edith Finch and feel like the devs have a weird horn on for torturing women. 

20 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Give over, we all know dickheads who pre-order shit digitally super early, before anyone knows anything.  I mean yeah to pre-order it based on the initial videos is a bit fucking weird but it's not entirely improbable. 

Also, never discount the Magpie Effect™

:bye: Hi!

15 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Having finished the campaign now, I think it got pretty tiresome towards the end. I can't think of anything in the whole game that's really exceptional. It's just very very average overall.

What did you think of Ghost of Tsushima and Last of us Part 2? ;)

18 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

LOL, yeah curse those snobby Walking Sim fans, too stuck up to give those Marvel Brawler GAAS titles a fair shake! I did think the Edith Finch battle pass was pretty poor value, I'll concede that.

17 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Having finished the campaign now, I think it got pretty tiresome towards the end. I can't think of anything in the whole game that's really exceptional. It's just very very average overall.

Avengers: Averagegame

I have this coming tomorrow. Seen a lot of praise for the single player on era so thought I would get it.

Not every game has to be a AAA masterpiece, I like my mindless brawler games. We have not had enough this gen. 

Ifs it's total shite (which it doesn't seem) I can always sell it on gumtree or marketplace. 

Ok, watched the whole story. No gameplay thoughts obviously.

It’s very good. The script is well written, the characters are well realised, it’s structured well, Kamala is a fantastic main character. There’s an engaging, well delivered plot that works on a lot of levels, and it really gets what is great about the characters and their relationships. It’s funny in places, heartwarming and very earnest. The movie Avengers take a backseat to Ms Marvel and it works really well because of that. 

If you’re looking for an Avengers story it’s very, very good and I’d strongly recommend it.

I know I'm one of those dickheads that bought the super shiny gold edition, but in my defence, nope... I don't have a defence.

The first hour, I was thinking, "mmmm" but then the little guy came in and he was super hyped watching me play as Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and trying to back seat game me on a game he has never played for super heroes he has never seen the movies of or read any comics about. :lol:  It was quite joyful.

Ms. Marvel is fantastic, it's really refreshing as a female gamer to play a female protagonist that is just...I dunno, normal?  The little touches, like the way she self consciously dances to Cheap Thrills and the external internal monologuing, she's incredibly endearing.

1 hour ago, Rikku said:

I know I'm one of those dickheads that bought the super shiny gold edition, but in my defence, nope... I don't have a defence.

The first hour, I was thinking, "mmmm" but then the little guy came in and he was super hyped watching me play as Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and trying to back seat game me on a game he has never played for super heroes he has never seen the movies of or read any comics about. :lol:  It was quite joyful.

Ms. Marvel is fantastic, it's really refreshing as a female gamer to play a female protagonist that is just...I dunno, normal?  The little touches, like the way she self consciously dances to Cheap Thrills and the external internal monologuing, she's incredibly endearing.

I feel bad for calling you a dickhead now. I mean you ARE, but I still love you. And the experience with your little 'un is testament to how much Marvel has pervaded popular culture, for better or worse.

Also Ms Marvel is a brilliant character in general and everyone should absolutely pick up the comic trades.

3 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I feel bad for calling you a dickhead now. I mean you ARE, but I still love you. And the experience with your little 'un is testament to how much Marvel has pervaded popular culture, for better or worse.

Also Ms Marvel is a brilliant character in general and everyone should absolutely pick up the comic trades.

:wub:  Don't feel bad, I fully accept that I'm a complete dickhead for this sort of shit. 

It helps that Kamala doesn't have a movie version to compare her to, because the other characters all suffer from that. But also, it does feel like she's the only bit of heart and imagination in the whole thing.

The thing is, everything else about the game is so cynical that I began to wonder if Kamala's character was as well. I mean, they've basically put a character in the game who's really enthusiastic and excited about stuff we've seen a hundred times before. It seems like she's there to make you feel that what you're seeing is interesting and new. I'm sure it's also a calculated move to make the main character a teenager in a game that's gunning for a young audience with its obscenely expensive cosmetic content.

So yes, she brings a refreshing perspective to the game, but I felt even that was tainted by the end.

I like loot, I like superheroes, I like beat em ups and I like coop, I'm really enjoying myself to be honest as I thought I would during the beta.
I't got a long way to go to compare to similar titles but its scratching that part of my brain that enjoyed such bobbins as Too Human and I'm hugely just enjoying Kamala and her story.
It's not going to change your mind if you didn't enjoy the beta but I think for those that like the setting and characters they will get a lot out of it.
Note: I went halves with a gameshare friend £46 (cdkeys) I definitely wouldn't have took the plunge full price even if I am enjoying it, but glad we did.

I played the Beta and I thought the actual combat was horribly one-dimensional, requiring little to no thought and carried no real threat. As many have said before playing Hulk felt exactly like Thor in terms of environment and enemy interaction. Then the flying section with Iron Man was just awful.

So... does the full game continue this trend? Because my son is off his nut for Avengers right now and would lose his mind over this game but when most of the Lego Marvel and DC games are already available on PS Now and actually implement the diversity of the character powers really well, why should I (or anyone for that matter) pick this up?