Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of reviews.

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

How many did you read?

58 minutes ago, Harsin said:

57 minutes ago, Thor said:

How many were good?

56 minutes ago, Harsin said:

One.

*Chef kiss*

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

I went forward in time to view alternate futures. To see all the possible outcomes of reviews.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

How many did you read?

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

1 hour ago, Thor said:

How many were good?

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

One.

:sealclap:

13 hours ago, Hexx said:

I'm assuming like Smash Bros "Echo" fighters it's a premium reskin of Hawkeye?  And War Machine (when he comes) will be like Iron Man etc>?

I don't think Hawkeye can bloop through the air in a haze of purple lightning. I'm not familiar with this character anyway, though, so...

And isn't War Machine like Iron Man anyway but with more guns and less bweeee?

18 hours ago, Ry said:

Is anyone playing it early?

It's my birthday in a couple days and want to treat myself, was watching some footage on Twitch and it looked fun. 

I'm not sure whether to wait and play on series x or PS5 though as opposed to base PS4. 

I put a couple of hours into the campaign last night and thought it was great fun.  The beta wasn't a fair reflection of the single player experience i've had so far BUT i don't know how long the game will continue like this.  It's not been in any way ground breaking, but the campaign so far is solidly put together - looks great, sounds great, plays entertaingly well enough.

I've been most suprised by how enjoyable the story and characters are.  By focusing on Kamala Khan, and by starting where the Avengers are already a thing, they've managed to make it feel fresh by avoiding any MCU crossover, although the issues of the main avengers looking like knock-offs of the MCU remain.  But at least the story is certainly not any kind of MCU retread.  And so far this has been 100% Kamala's story and she's been written well.

I don't know how long this campaign mode will last (i'm guessing something equivalent to the Destiny 2 campaign) but it's showing a lot of promise so far.  What will be key (and we won't know this for a while) is whether the future story expansions (which they've promised for free) are done to the standard of the campaign.  If they are then I look forward to enjoying it for some time to come, regardless of how compelling i find the "war table" stuff (which you can jump to straight from the off if you really want...).

The PS5 upgrade will be free if you have the PS4 version, and the PS4 version is running superbly well on my Pro, so no reason to hold off...

forgot to mention the capital crime that it does commit in the otherwise satsifying opening 2 hours - an instafail stealth section with long re-load times.  A section which could've been tense and atmospheric turned into utter fucking garbage.  If your reload times are going to be high, don't include instafail stealth - why do developers still not get this?

2 hours ago, Sixkiller said:

I put a couple of hours into the campaign last night and thought it was great fun.  The beta wasn't a fair reflection of the single player experience i've had so far BUT i don't know how long the game will continue like this.  It's not been in any way ground breaking, but the campaign so far is solidly put together - looks great, sounds great, plays entertaingly well enough.

In what way?

38 minutes ago, Gabe said:

In what way?

I felt the Beta made out like there was a tiny bit of narrative experience to be had - essentially the "A-day" bit we'd all seen in trailers, but that after that the story would be told (poorly) through the missions which can be done single player with AI companions, or mulitplayer.

The reality seems to be that there's a fully-fledged narrative single player experience, and that all of that co-op multiplayer stuff then extends things once you're done.  I'm 2.5hrs in and have 2 characters.  Kotaku's got an article on suggesting after over 6 hours of play they've still only got 4 of the 6 launch characters.  But lets say that it totals out at around a 10 hour single player campaign before you hit the "war room" missions - that's a lot more than i think the beta suggested.

I expect there'll be a debate to be had about the length of single player campaign, and how much it justifies the entry fee, but the quality of it is much higher than the parts included in the beta suggested too.  I don't think the beta did a very good job of showing off the potential story and quality of narrative.  It could all go south from where i am, of course, but i don't think it will.

It seems the beta that everyone said "lets be honest it's really a demo" was actually truly just a beta, testing the online servers no doubt, and leading to a few tweaks.  As a demo it was poor because it jumped around and gave so little context for what you were doing I thought the final game would be a mess.

51 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I keep seeing comments online from people saying words to the effect of 'didn't think I'd enjoy this but I'm loving it so far'. 

You didn't think you'd enjoy it but paid for the fancy edition that lets you play early... :sherlock:

Give over, we all know dickheads who pre-order shit digitally super early, before anyone knows anything.  I mean yeah to pre-order it based on the initial videos is a bit fucking weird but it's not entirely improbable. 

Also, never discount the Magpie Effect™

16 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Looks like I'm heading into the final mission of the main campaign. It's been fine, even quite good at times. But every side mission I do is already feeling like repeated content. Not sure how it's going to sustain interest after the campaign's done.

How long did it take to play through the campaign? 

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Will wait until it's under £30 maybe, unless some proper Marvel fans here play it and laud it as amazing.

Huge Marvel nerd here! And thanks to the mighty marvelous miracle of game sharing, it's clobbering time later this week true believer!

In other words, I'll let you know. Love marvel, love brawlers, hate destiny like online games. Should be interesting!