Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

5 hours ago, footle said:

Robots, with shields, that allow them to block Hulk punches.

They got it closer to right in the first mission where Hulk is an unstoppable force of nature, just occasionally falling to his death when you don’t press Jump at the right moment.

The second mission, I didn’t get as far as playing as Kamala before turning it off. The levelling up individual bits of equipment didn’t do anything for me at all.

I gave up in the second mission with the first fight with the robots. It was just so bad. Shame really. A Marvel arpg can be done really well. In fact it's been done once before. Marvel Heroes

Diablo style but still. Was a hell of a game.

F

5 hours ago, footle said:

Robots, with shields, that allow them to block Hulk punches.

But I don't understand how they could make this game without that kind of gamification? You'd be in here complaining of being bored hammering X and Y.

The game needs something to make you press a different button every so often, but I grant you it jars. Sometimes in FIFA you'll miss a shot that such a player would definitely score on, though, and in Forza you can flip a car to your absolute death and just press rewind. It's videogames.

But Forza and FIFA nail their fantasies. They feel like being a cool football player/driving a fast car. Smashing things is Hulk’s whole USP. If you remove that he’s just a big, slow captain America. I agree that making a Hulk game is going to be tough because your central character is over powered, but just not bothering seems like a weird solution.

15 minutes ago, Broker said:

Smashing things is Hulk’s whole USP. If you remove that he’s just a big, slow captain America. I agree that making a Hulk game is going to be tough because your central character is over powered, but just not bothering seems like a weird solution.

I mean we could end up arguing over silly toss here, but I don't agree at all. Hulk can take down enemies quicker as his attacks do more damage and he has good AOE, whereas Cap had range and acrobatics for his (comparatively) middling strength. It feels to me like the criticism in this thread is "I can't press the same button for five minutes and win the game".

Do you think Kevin Feige had to have all these debates when Iron Man and Cap went against Thor in Avengers 1 and Hulkbuster went against Hulk in Avengers 2?

The criticism is that it feels like boring shite to play. Playing as hulk feels shit. His boring weak attacks being a bit less boring than Cap’s don’t really make any difference. I don’t care about Kevin Feige or the movies, I care that this game is boring shite. 

11 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I don't understand why no one ever made a hulk ultimate destruction spiritual sequel. Prototype doesn't count. 

Insomniac or Sucker Punch would nail that. 

Hulk Ultimate Destruction was BRILLIANT and to be honest a spiritual precursor to Crackdown, if anything. But YES a sequel would be fantastic. Why not now, given the newfound surge in popularity of the character thanks to the movies? Mickey plz.

17 minutes ago, Broker said:

The criticism is that it feels like boring shite to play. Playing as hulk feels shit. His boring weak attacks being a bit less boring than Cap’s don’t really make any difference. I don’t care about Kevin Feige or the movies, I care that this game is boring shite. 

Perhaps one supercar in Forza could feel like a boring other supercar in Forza.

Maybe the genre choice isn’t jiving with people and it would have been better as a restricted single character action game.

1 minute ago, tnman said:

Perhaps one supercar in Forza could feel like a boring other supercar in Forza.

Maybe the genre choice isn’t jiving with people and it would have been better as a restricted single character action game.

That's why that Gotham game seems like a way better fit. Those are all normal humans who just happen to be really good at fighting and acrobatics. Which evens the playing field and grounds all the abilities. While here you've got Black Widow who is literally just the same power level-wise as those Gotham characters, navigating the same levels and enemies as Hulk and Thor who are more on a Dragon Ball Z overpower-level 9000.

Also, Cap and Thor and Iron man in avengers are consistent with their powers. Cap makes use of his shield, the only reason he could block attacks from either of those characters. Iron man is loving until Thor accidentally powers him up with electricity. 

Then later in the film, Widow and Thor fight hulk who kicks the shit out of them.

12 hours ago, Harsin said:

:lol:

Why even bother having a QTE in the first place if that's the result.

But it's not a QTE, that's just a normal attack you can do at any time and that's just the tutorial for teaching you it?

I mean I think there's load to pick holes in, but that is a real stretch.

Edit: Actually, maybe it isn't, I can't remember. Oh well.

It teaches you what the button for the power attack is later in that sequence, and that you are meant to use it to destroy obstacles. I think it’s the only use it tells you that button has. (Although it’s obvious you can use it to hurt enemies.)

If the QTE prompts are the same buttons as the equivalent “normal” game move I didn’t notice. The tutorial pop-ups are completely different, and never pause the game.

23 hours ago, Quest said:

I'm on a shit connection and genuinely thought the video had frozen.

I thought the same - I'm on a decent connection, but for me Twitter videos occasionally get to 15 seconds in and then stop playing for some reason, so I thought that had happened here.

Worth mentioning that if you buy the game you get the battle passes for all the characters who are currently available, and it sounds like you will also earn credits from them that you can spend on future battle passes. 

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

But if you don't buy the game you can't play it... right? Or is this "FTP".

I'm now really confused.

My guess - 

You buy the game and you get the battlepass for the six included characters. 

Say they add Dr Strange later, I imagine you download him regardless in an update, can play as him (and equip the loot upgrades in the game that are conveniently non-aesthetic) but you need to spend $10 to get his “battlepass” to gain access to the character’s level progression that unlocks aesthetics. 

Maybe. 

Yeah that seems to be it. They were clear that you can get the credits to buy the battle passes from playing them, but didn’t mention if you’d get them from the free battle passes you get when you buy the game.

Jesus that’s a tough type.

Is anyone playing it early?

It's my birthday in a couple days and want to treat myself, was watching some footage on Twitch and it looked fun. 

I'm not sure whether to wait and play on series x or PS5 though as opposed to base PS4.