Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

Again, nobody is being bitter. I was hoping to enjoy this game and I’m super disappointed by it, but you enjoy whatever shite you like. Sorry your ego can’t handle the idea that you sometimes like shit things and that you feel the need to try to find excuses for thing you like not being good. 

Stop being fucking reactionary.

19 minutes ago, Broker said:

Again, nobody is being bitter. I was hoping to enjoy this game and I’m super disappointed by it, but you enjoy whatever shite you like. Sorry your ego can’t handle the idea that you sometimes like shit things and that you feel the need to try to find excuses for thing you like not being good. 

I'm going to ignore the umpteenth time you've had a pop because I liked something and move on with a different angle, what would you like it to do that the beta currently doesn't? Have you left them feedback to let them know (you know the entire reason for betas) , if so what?

I already said it's not brilliant I just got some fun out of it. Will it sustain months of gaming? hell no. Am I going to buy it full price - not in a million years. but smashing around with friends was good fun, like a 3D streets of Rage with bolt on loot. Actually it did feel a bit Anthem dare I say...

My take:
Loot feels pretty meaningless, I'd like to see some real gameplay affecting modifiers 
Multiplayer missions that arent a 3ft long corridor.
More varied enemies. That small selection got tiresome fast.
The A-Day mission looks approximately a million times better than anything else. Pure wool over the eyes.

Sorry for being so rude.

I would like the screen to shake less, definitely, which might be changeable before release so might actually be useful feedback to offer. The loot feels a bit useless, but that’s often a problem with looters. Fundamentally, I think the combat system it’s built on is a bit repetitive, and I’m not sure that can be fixed.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it, sorry for being such a sour bastard.

2 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

I'm going to ignore the umpteenth time you've had a pop because I liked something and move on with a different angle, what would you like it to do that the beta currently doesn't? Have you left them feedback to let them know (you know the entire reason for betas) , if so what?

I'd like there to be much greater differentiation between heroes that you can actually see - so strength, speed, power of specials, varied abilities etc. This has none of that, and whilst I know that this will in part be because they want you to get on the mission-gear-upgrade loop, I feel it would take a lot of grinding before the differences would start to appear. It would also be good for different characters to allow for different ways to play the game but, again, from the beta that doesn't seem apparent and none of the skill trees looked like they lend to the standard tank/DPS/healer template - so they all feel the same.

I think the changes needed are far too fundamental to be fixed at this late stage, though.

10 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

Everyone was quite civil until you waded in with your comment about people on the internet lining up to bash it, as a defence of the game. There's plenty of things not to like about this without lumping everyone into the cool to hate brigade.

I played some of this at the weekend. Got to the first mission post War Room unlock and stopped playing. It just felt so dull. The first mission is fine once you get past the rather lacklustre visuals and bad writing, but it was the second with Kamala and Hulk that killed it off for me. How do you make playing as the Hulk so boring and just plain weak. I should be smashing robots to pieces with ease. I did like the boss fight though.

It won't go the same way as Anthem purely because of name recognition, but I don't think it's going to do huge numbers either.

Played a good amount of this over the weekend.  Definitely want to play the full game, but certainly not at full price.  They should be releasing at the £30 price range given that it's obviously designed to harvest cash via micro-transactions and expansions down the line.  If they were doing that I'd be there day one.

The reality is that it bounces around between average and below average in terms of a game, but the license drags the interest level up a bit because the characters are of interest.  Destiny has a story and characters that i couldn't give two shits about, but plays brilliantly.  This has a story I'm quite keen to experience but via a pretty dull and uninspired mechanic.

What shocked me was how lazy and half arsed a lot of it feels.  There was a boss (of sorts) fight where it appeared to talking for a couple of minutes after i'd defeated it.  Countless times where either my character or another was talking without their mouths even moving, let alone being in synch.  It felt like there were more reused environments in this beta than there were in the whole of Dragon Age 2.  Obviously with it not being the MCU they can't use the known Avengers theme, but come on - come up with some bombastic and recognisable music to go along with the action, not the incredibly bland soundtrack on show here (see the Lego Marvel Super Heroes game for how you can make "fake" Marvel music very well).  And what the hell is with the map where you choose a mission in Manhattan showing you a landscape of green mountains? :lol:

I know it's a beta, but the issues for me are not ones that will be sorted by patches over time, but they're also not ones that necessarily render it unenjoyable - just feeling a bit "low budget" for the franchise.

This is like going to the cinema to watch a new Avengers film, and instead finding it's a feature length episode of Agents of SHIELD.

On 17/08/2020 at 18:24, Broker said:

That list does not fill me with confidence. How do you add captain marvel to this without her being so underpowered it’s a joke? Ditto scarlet witch. How the hell will ant man work?!

Press square for light attack, triangle for heavy attack and L1+R1 for your super. Just like every other character. :hat:

They should have been braver with this and really gone to town on the variety of playstyles between characters but they chickened out and just made each of them pretty much the same mindless brawler. It’s a shame and a real missed opportunity.

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating: I bet you Rocksteady will show what can be done with a varied team of superheroes/villains in a game like this.

6 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Press square for light attack, triangle for heavy attack and L1+R1 for your super. Just like every other character. :hat:

They should have been more brave with this and really gone to town on the variety of playstyles between characters but they chickened out and just made each of them pretty much the same mindless brawler. It’s a shame and a real missed opportunity.

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating: I bet you Rocksteady will show what can be done with a varied team of superheroes/villains in a game like this.

The original X-Men Legends (and then the Ultimate Alliance games) knew how to handle a varied team more than 15 years ago.

21 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I did wonder if there were some lip sync problems when so many of the characters turned away from the camera before delivering their lines.

I rememember noticing that too.  Like a film or TV show where they're relying on loads of ADR so you end up with loads of over-the-shoulder shots being used.

That suggests the problem is unlikely to be one of poor technology, but more probably one of them writing the dialogue (and probably story) long after making these parts of the game - hence conversations taking place in bland and reusable locations like the quinjet.

7 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Not really, everyone was nerfed to be as powerful as everyone else there as well. When Silver Surfer is about as powerful as Captain America you have a problem.

I meant more in terms of having a bit more variety in how characters handled and the abilities they had. None of are going to have wildly different builds, damage will always be within a range - but the X-Men Legends and Ultimate Alliance games were good at having different playstyles amongst them so you could mix and match teams and they didn't all feel exactly the same. Although that said, I'm pretty sure Silver Surfer was incredibly overpowered once you'd levelled him up, because I remember to get him you had to complete all of the challenges for every character (man, that was some grinding).

Anyway, this has none of that. Every character moves at the same speed, all have very similar moves and the specials all feel underwhelming. Now perhaps the other characters will bring in different skillsets that will mean different roles become a thing (i.e. crowd control/DPS/tank/buffer/healer), but based on how it all seems set up I think that's unlikely. And that's a great shame.

When this was announced a couple of years back (or whenever it was), my friend and I were both pretty excited about what potentially it could be, because there was a core template already that they could've tweaked to allow all the microtransaction stuff, but instead we just have a very bland beat-em-up that wouldn't feel all that out of place in a 90s arcade.

It'll be good to read the views of anybody that does take the plunge though, because as I say, once it's free to play (or very, very cheap) I'll likely jump in too.

I had a bit of a shock when I downloaded the open beta and found I actually really liked the game. It's no Destiny beater, and it probably won't set the world on fire, but I thought it was excellent at what it is trying to be.

The Hulk having a roughly similar amount of strength to Ms Marvel is odd, yes, but how could a developer balance that in an Avengers game without having everyone play as the Hulk and smash their way through a campaign in 5 minutes? Or, indeed, struggle through a campaign in 50 hours as Ms Marvel?

I found playing this as an action RPG and cutting through legions of enemies to be really fun. Ragdolling grunt enemies as a weapon as Hulk is great fun. Platforming around the environments with Ms Marvel's stretchiness is fun. Pew-pewing as Iron Man is fun. Black Widow's agility seemed right, and fun.

I wonder if this is an instance of I'm now someone who only likes immediate shiny gratification in games or the forum being collectively grumpy.

I struggle to see an endgame experience but I haven't really read up on that. In Destiny I get to chase powerful loot that looks cool and has game-altering power benefits. I wonder what you chase in this once the campaign is done?

Just been playing the Beta on the PC.  I was expecting something more refined tbh - the core gameplay is already feeling repetitive and the enemies are pretty boring to fight.  The presentation is pretty top notch but overall the game just didn't grab me.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Loot. It has the same loot and upgrade system as Destiny. Even Hulk’s power level is determined by “nanites” you equip for each body part.

This sounds pretty rubbish. The ironic thing is this game has all the bullshit I like about games (arbitrary numbers, cosmetics, super hero nonsense) but I really couldn't give a stuff about it. Just going on looks alone it's hideously generic. Decades of comic styles to pull from and that's what they came up with?

Fuck it, I'll set it going and see if I can get some time in tonight.

I mean, what even is the point if Hulk isn't the strongest there is?

If you could swap the character models out for literally any generic punchy character and it not seem like the game cares then why even bother?

This has got to be one of the finest examples of creatively bankrupt cash grabbing in years.

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

This has got to be one of the finest examples of creatively bankrupt cash grabbing in years.

Absolutely this. I feel the term "creatively bankrupt" is bandied about a bit too much these days, but it's absolutely spot on here. This is a game designed by committee to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and steals wholesale from other games to do it. 

Robots, with shields, that allow them to block Hulk punches.

They got it closer to right in the first mission where Hulk is an unstoppable force of nature, just occasionally falling to his death when you don’t press Jump at the right moment.

The second mission, I didn’t get as far as playing as Kamala before turning it off. The levelling up individual bits of equipment didn’t do anything for me at all.