Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

It gets a little better when you pick missions for the war effort.

But then you realise they'll all 1 corridor section. Then a black screen transition (not a door oepning) to the next objective room. Which is kinda fun in a mindless way.

Iron Man feels best to play - but really doesn't "feel" like iron man (everyone knows one of his signature moves is a energy shield at last second to aoe counter...right...)

It's just so...so so

Well just to go against the grain of misery present here - I'm rather enjoying it.

The game didn't make the best opening impression, couldn't get my controller to work (Steam version) for about 15 minutes (have to turn off the Steam input setting in Big Picture mode for it to pick it up) and I got a host of audio bugs and teeny glitches in the opening bridge level.  During the Task Master fight the  sky box was madly flashing (not intentionally I'm pretty sure) which was somewhat distracting.

But I did enjoy the tiny snippets of each character. - Captain America and Black Widow standing out.  Not sure what's going on with Iron Man's flight controls mind - who though it was a good idea to map them to the right stick (must be a way to switch that I'm sure)

I though things got much better once you switched to Ms Marvel and Hulk go Tomb Raiding and it does look very nice indeed and that was a fairly meaty level for a demo.

It does feel like it maybe a bit slight, been playing the War Table stuff and levelling up Ms Marvel and its all quite enjoyable but very simplistic.  It does have that 360 era superhero game vibe going on, but its kind of fun for it.  Going to experiment a bit more with Black Widow I think.

I'm still in but definitely not for fifty notes on launch day

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

Well just to go against the grain of misery present here - I'm rather enjoying it.

The game didn't make the best opening impression, couldn't get my controller to work (Steam version) for about 15 minutes (have to turn off the Steam input setting in Big Picture mode for it to pick it up) and I got a host of audio bugs and teeny glitches in the opening bridge level.  During the Task Master fight the  sky box was madly flashing (not intentionally I'm pretty sure) which was somewhat distracting.

But I did enjoy the tiny snippets of each character. - Captain America and Black Widow standing out.  Not sure what's going on with Iron Man's flight controls mind - who though it was a good idea to map them to the right stick (must be a way to switch that I'm sure)

I though things got much better once you switched to Ms Marvel and Hulk go Tomb Raiding and it does look very nice indeed and that was a fairly meaty level for a demo.

It does feel like it maybe a bit slight, been playing the War Table stuff and levelling up Ms Marvel and its all quite enjoyable but very simplistic.  It does have that 360 era superhero game vibe going on, but its kind of fun for it.  Going to experiment a bit more with Black Widow I think.

I'm still in but definitely not for fifty notes on launch day

This is pretty much how I feel!
It’s fiiine! Not too bad and kinda fun mashing through the fodder. 

My son’s playing this now.  Looks ok, although the first thing he said was ‘the characters don’t look right) and it seems a bit QTE heavy  but he’s enjoying it.  It’s also crashed twice.

It’s not a day one purchase, but will probably pick it up in a sale or from CEX.

That Crash Bandicoot boss fight against Task Master, where you’re stood on an isolated platform and he rushes at you and you dodge. Then again, and again, and again. Has he actually just got this one move? Oh it’s time for more QTE. 

Fucking garbage. Destiny works because it is the best shooter. This feels like that shit Tomb Raider game they made. Playing that once was boring enough, but a hundred times for numbers to tick up? Fucking terrible, embarrassing shite.

I can’t believe the obvious villain in this gets the line “I wish I could tell you what happened to Captain Rogers that day, but I was *nowhere near* the reactor when he died.” Just completely unprompted. :lol:

The vibration in this is completely OTT, I guess to make it feel less like nothing’s happening? I actually turned it off.

HDR presentation looks like shit but Olympia is pretty. 

It’s got those terrible tutorials where they think telling you what a control does once is fine, never mind how you’ll learn to actually use those abilities.

It really does feel like they couldn’t decide which game to staple the Avengers franchise on to and just kept knocking off what was popular each year it was in development.

I was kind of shocked to reach the HARM challenge, after the intro mission and two story missions, and discover there's actually a game in here. It bothers to explain to you what the Rage/whatever meter is (Intrinsic Energy) and how to regenerate it, how to leap over enemies, etc, but it's hidden off in a VR training environment. The game seems to open with this QTE cinematic disaster of a tutorial but there might actually be some non-button-bashing gameplay in there that they seem perversely disinterested in sharing with you.

I've played some more now and got turned off before going into the HARM room. Everything about it is just so unsatisfying, from the core punching to special powers. The skill trees look pretty uninspired too (though, admittedly, that's true of a lot of games). Plus, as well established within the first few minutes, everybody feels the same - underpowered and underwhelming. When Hulk's thunderclap special doesn't even take out a regular enemy, then you've got problems. The camera is annoying too.

I started playing Destiny 2 last night (figured I'll do the campaign as it's free and I like shooting things and that's actually fun) and I'm astonished at how this has pretty much ripped every bit of it off, down to the horrendous loading times.

It does have one claim to fame though, it's the first game that has properly had my graphics card at full pelt (a 2070 Super, playing at 1440p, if you're interested). Such a shame then that the art style is so generic and meh.

I won't spend money on this, but when it inevitably goes free to play I'll probably do the campaign stuff.

Have to say, my son is also loving it. Squeals of excitement when he pulls off some of the power moves. I’m also pretty impressed by it too.

Like Marvel stuff but not into all the backstories etc and taking it just as a bit of superhero fun its great. Visually I think it looks fantastic in places and it does a good job of making you feel like a superhero whilst playing. 

Brilliant to sit with him whilst playing, he couldn’t get enough of it.

How old are your kids? My older one has already heard about it and point blank refused to bother, the younger one watched for a bit, asked for a go, then about ten minutes in asked if we could put fall guys back on :lol: 

29 minutes ago, Benny said:

Shameless capitalist cash grab aimed at children appeals to some children shocker.

They’ll be calling Apple a dangerous monopoly soon...

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I was kind of shocked to reach the HARM challenge, after the intro mission and two story missions, and discover there's actually a game in here. It bothers to explain to you what the Rage/whatever meter is (Intrinsic Energy) and how to regenerate it, how to leap over enemies, etc, but it's hidden off in a VR training environment. The game seems to open with this QTE cinematic disaster of a tutorial but there might actually be some non-button-bashing gameplay in there that they seem perversely disinterested in sharing with you.

It’s a beta with the intro level and a level from later in the game and then a segue into he content that makes up the endgame.

I suspect that the full campaign will do a better job of introducing the mechanics as they are introduced 

Anyway played a some more last night and tried pretty much all the missions which did vary a little wildly in quality and I’ve probably had my fill for now. I did enjoy it however.

The campaign looks like it will be lots of fun and worth playing once this gets the inevitable heavy discounts. Not sure the mini GaaS missions will be cutting it in the end game on current showing.

lll be honest, as a fan of MUA and comics in general, I loved this, just really enjoyed playing as the heroes and smashing stuff up, even moreso with friends.
Yes it's not an absolute masterpiece but it was really fun, and that trumps flaws for me. I do think people are just doing the queue up to internet bash yet again.

15 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

It’s a beta with the intro level and a level from later in the game and then a segue into he content that makes up the endgame.

I suspect that the full campaign will do a better job of introducing the mechanics as they are introduced 

I would hope so, but surely they didn’t come up with a whole different narrative to get to the bit where it teaches you basic combat, just for the beta? In the actual game isn’t it going to be even longer, more missions and more story, before it starts giving you the game itself?

Just now, Alex W. said:

I would hope so, but surely they didn’t come up with a whole different narrative to get to the bit where it teaches you basic combat, just for the beta? In the actual game isn’t it going to be even longer, more missions and more story, before it starts giving you the game itself?

I'm guessing as each character is introduced after the intro they will have a level that gives you some more exposition with how they work.

I don't think the Hulk/Kamala level is the first time you've played them in the game in the full campaign

39 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

lll be honest, as a fan of MUA and comics in general, I loved this, just really enjoyed playing as the heroes and smashing stuff up, even moreso with friends.
Yes it's not an absolute masterpiece but it was really fun, and that trumps flaws for me. I do think people are just doing the queue up to internet bash yet again.

Ah yes, people not enjoying the shite game are obviously just trying to be part of the internet cool crowd. If only we had more free thinkers like you about we could have even more derivative, licensed garbage to play!

5 minutes ago, Broker said:

Ah yes, people not enjoying the shite game are obviously just trying to be part of the internet cool crowd. If only we had more free thinkers like you about we could have even more derivative, licensed garbage to play!

Im sorry I offended you by enjoying something, I shall remember to be an rllmuk bitter old man in the future.

4 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Im sorry I offended you by enjoying something, I shall remember to be an rllmuk bitter old man in the future.

Again, nobody is being bitter. I was hoping to enjoy this game and I’m super disappointed by it, but you enjoy whatever shite you like. Sorry your ego can’t handle the idea that you sometimes like shit things and that you feel the need to try to find excuses for thing you like not being good. 

I was already blown away by how incredibly dated, boring and off the mark this game is and then something special happened. My son (3 years old) is just starting to really get into Marvel, the Hulk especially, so I let him watch while I played a little.

At first he was really excited and then after about 6 minutes of smashing our way through repetitive corridors he turned to me and said “No Daddy, want to play Spider-man”. I immediately deleted the Beta and we spent the next half hour or so swinging around New York and “catching troublemakers”.

I didn’t need his beautiful, honest little opinion but it sealed everything I was already thinking. Such a waste!