Dune: The Sisterhood

JohnC

WarnerMedia have ordered a new series for their streaming platform, designed to coexist with the Denis Villeneuve movie. Villeneuve himself will be directing the pilot and the series will be written by the movie co-writer Jon Spaihts. Obviously this series will be focused on the Bene Gesserit.

Frank Herbert’s Dune portrays a future in which humanity has spread across the galaxy to thousands of worlds, all ruled by the Padishah Emperor, The Imperium. Dune: The Sisterhood explores this universe through the eyes of a mysterious order of women: the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis — known to its inhabitants as Dune.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Really pushing this as a big franchise feels a bit risky after the last Villeneuve blockbuster didn’t do so hot.

Hardly Villeneuve's fault though was it.  He did his bit and made a brilliant film.

Fortunately Dune's an absolute piece of cake to market. <_<

Pushing Dune as some kind of Star Wars* Harry Potter style massive mainstream ongoing franchise seems like folly full stop. The first one maybe, good luck selling your average popcorn muncher on a giant worm/man god emperor and two hours of rumination on the golden path.

* Yes I'm fully aware of the influence Dune had on Star Wars thank you very much.

53 minutes ago, Benny said:

Can't way for the tie in Lego. "Paul Atreides and Gom Jabbar set (Reveran Mother Mohiam not included)"

I like the 1984 movie toys. Sting has the cat in a box and everything!

I vividly remember seeing them in The Jolly Giant toy superstore in Glasgow (It was later turned into a Toys'R'Us). I think I ended up getting my first Masters of the Universe toys that day (The double pack with He-Man and Skeletor don't ye know).

There was also a big talking Jolly Giant on the way in. It told a joke...

"What do you call a man who's seven feet tall, has size twelve feet and no dog. 

Big shoey dugless!"

I was seven. It made me laugh.

ljncat-e1389361317170.jpg

• 3 years later...

10,000 years?! I didn't realise Dune's universe had such a long history. Do we have any info on what kind of story it is - suspense, thriller, politicing - probably all three if its taking inspiration from the books. Also interested in the kind of tech they will be using, this must be before Spice surely but presumably there'll still be spaceships and shit. I wonder if the AI ban is in effect or whether that'll play into the plot.

From memory, the Butlerian Jihad - which lead to the the AI ban, took place like 14,000 years before the events of Dune, so it should have already happened.  But Dune and the events that lead up to it span a couple of thousand years to get to the situation where Duke Leto gets sent to Dune, so I suppose it could set right in the middle of it. That would be interesting to see. I reckon I'd prefer a story set to the backdrop of a recognisable world event rather than one just happening on its own timeline.