IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

How do you ensure everything is up to date? I just noticed I didn't have 4 world updates installed (despite thinking I installed all but the latest) and, evidently, I had a whole bunch of other in-game content updates to do. Despite leaving it running for ages, in which it grabbed 20gb of xml etc., it says there are 53 updates and 1 "not installed", in the content manager.

I’m planning to have a bit of a MSFS binge this weekend, not played for a while and itching to mess around with the latest FlyByWire A320 update. Time to do some short haul flights around Europe

The new Iberian update has some gorgeous locations. Lisbon, Barcelona and Madrid all look absolutely stunning, especially Lisbon - although the Discovery mode flight for Lisbon starts you a long way from the city, and the weather pre-set makes the sea look unnervingly flat and glassy. 

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

I’d reinstall FS if they add the AN-225 to the roster 

There's a version for Flight Sim X, hopefully we get that sort of depth of community support.

What are people using with this on the the xbox? I had a quick flight last nigh on my one S via cloud but the controller was pretty poor. 

Are people using a mouse and keyboard with a Hotas? 

Massively got back in to this in the last week to have an Elden Break, and decided to splash out on a more elaborate plane, the Daher Kodiak 100. It’s a turboprop very much in the ilk of the Cessna 208 but sooo much more detailed, and it flys beautifully. 

Done a couple of practice flights using VOR based navigation and practicing my ATC approaches and it’s lovely to fly. And now I’ve spent a couple of hours getting my controllers set up I have my G1000 all configured with rotary encoders and I’m suckered in again. 180 hours flying under my belt and can’t wait to do another 180

• 2 weeks later...

Nice upgrade to the Cessna 172 in there. Will have to try it out over the weekend. 

Been having a smashing time with Neofly over the last couple of weeks. Really adds a lot having to build a career. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first properly successful flight in the BAe 146 last night, a VOR flight from Dublin to Exeter. Heartily recommend the 146 if you want something more meaty to get in to, it’s no fire up the AP and look out the window plane, you need to fly this thing. 

First of the five page checklist :)

E221D76F-7E56-44C8-9145-D2B51251E863.thumb.jpeg.94056dcab5ed2cec34e38374ae949d13.jpeg

I've downloaded it, but there seems to be some kind of horrendous bug that stops the game from launching with the Italy / Malta update. The official forums are full of people gnashing their teeth and cursing Asobo, who at least seem to be working on a fix. 

Xbox version got a 1.7gb update last night. I'm currently south of Sicily on a cloudless day with Global Communication 76:14 on the record player providing the perfect soundtrack to another omg how is it doing this look at the graphics flight from Malta.

3 hours ago, spanx said:

Very tempted by the new Fenix A320, looks spectacular. 

I picked this up on Friday; I’ve flown it a few times this weekend. It’s fantastic- proper study level aircraft. Better than the FSL a320 from P3D; and about half the price. Really well integrated EFB too. Performance not quite as good as the PMDG 737, but there is more going on. Highly recommended.

1 hour ago, mlewis said:

I picked this up on Friday; I’ve flown it a few times this weekend. It’s fantastic- proper study level aircraft. Better than the FSL a320 from P3D; and about half the price. Really well integrated EFB too. Performance not quite as good as the PMDG 737, but there is more going on. Highly recommended.

I’m learning how to fly the BAe 146 at the moment (also very highly recommended) so should probably hold off. Love flying the FBW A320 though, so will definitely get the Fenix at some point. 

The Top Gun Maverick DLC is now out! I’ve only had time to have a quick go, but it seems like a lot of fun - there are low altitude flying challenges, a carrier landing, and some kind of ultra-high altitude spy flight.

Plus, and I can’t stress this enough, it has the actual Top Gun music in the menus and loading screens. 

1 hour ago, K said:

The Top Gun Maverick DLC is now out! I’ve only had time to have a quick go, but it seems like a lot of fun - there are low altitude flying challenges, a carrier landing, and some kind of ultra-high altitude spy flight.

Plus, and I can’t stress this enough, it has the actual Top Gun music in the menus and loading screens. 

Hit the brakes, he'll fly right by I'll crash into a mountain.

The low-level flight challenges are great fun, and quite challenging - I don't know if this was in the game already, but I didn't know you could lose consciousness by pulling too many Gs. It's surprisingly easy to G-LOC yourself when you're weaving in and out of a canyon at mach 1, and it adds a bit more excitement to a situation that's already pretty thrilling. It's pure Top Gun, and just a shame there are no combat challenges (although understandable given that it's outside the scope of the game).

The presentation on the challenges is nice too. If you play them from the third person perspective, it's like the Afterburner II arcade cabinet that you'd find in heaven. The visuals, as ever, are absolutely unreal - you can see the bow shock effect on the wings when you absolutely slam the plane through a turn.