Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

On 06/09/2021 at 19:35, Boozy The Clown said:

I had to cover my whole forehead with my hand when it went into the second tunnel. 

7 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

Not programming necessary in the camera movement.  The camera takes a 360 degree view at all times, so you can just take the file and do what you like with it afterwards.  So keeping the horizon flat whilst the rest of the picture moves is a common one, but you can effectively switch from 1st to 3rd person views and some really wacky ones inbetween.

Someone made a product called 360 One X? We have to keep this information from Microsoft, we don’t want them getting any ideas. 

Shame lauterbrunnen is still quite glitchy with the mesh on some of the other cliffs.

best part of the update though was that for the first time in a year I managed to download files for the mandatory update without having it crash, without having it get in a downloading loop, and at a rate in the mid 100s and not 3mbit/s.

52 minutes ago, footle said:

Shame lauterbrunnen is still quite glitchy with the mesh on some of the other cliffs.

best part of the update though was that for the first time in a year I managed to download files for the mandatory update without having it crash, without having it get in a downloading loop, and at a rate in the mid 100s and not 3mbit/s.

I had to load up flight simulator about 8 times to get it to boot.

I thought the dodgy terrain formation was just because I was on an S

I wonder if it’s something to do with the engine thinking the terrain is further away than it actually is due to the grid, if you know what I mean.

A614524B-1985-4FBF-B0A4-3F96CCC882D8.jpeg.069b21b29ca72df561fe2606eac44ecd.jpeg

On 06/09/2021 at 20:34, jonamok said:

Blimey. How is the camera attached to the plane? Seems to fly free at the end.

They had a cameraperson flying a second plane just behind. Pretty impressive but history will immediately forget them. 

World Update 6 seems rock solid thus far, and the new bush trips look like they’ll be a treat. The precaching of off screen scenery has really made a difference too. 

Oh and no ATC altitude issues any more 👌

Initial thoughts are on the positive side really brings London to life even more if you know it well, on the downside its impacting smoothness and framerate quite often - not disastrous for my eyes but very noticable

There seems to be a bug in the new update that completely knackers the lighting at night. The ground and most buildings are completely black - cities in particular look absolutely awful. 

1 hour ago, K said:

There seems to be a bug in the new update that completely knackers the lighting at night. The ground and most buildings are completely black - cities in particular look absolutely awful. 

Its an issue with resolution scaling it seems. On PC I’m running at native 4K so don’t have it, but people running at above or below that are seeing the same issue. Hot fix incoming apparently. 

On 10/09/2021 at 18:37, spanx said:

Its an issue with resolution scaling it seems. On PC I’m running at native 4K so don’t have it, but people running at above or below that are seeing the same issue. Hot fix incoming apparently. 

you mean there are PC flight simmers without 3080/90s?

Is anyone on Series X/S having issues with World Update V Nordics not updating? It keeps showing as having an update of something silly like 65kb and it refuses to update. I've deleted the whole update but the problem is still there when I reinstall it. Cheers

I really want to fly a fighter jet in this. Given that the Top Gun pack has been delayed to next year, are there any really good ones in the marketplace? I’m not that keen on spending the price of a new game on a single DLC plane, but might be tempted by a cheaper one. 

Is there any reason why Edinburgh looks so bad in this? It looks unfinished, it's really weird.

Also for Berlin being a city that they handcrafted for the update, how come the TV tower looks so terrible?

I'm finding weird things with this game. It's also not running nearly as well as it did when it was released for Xbox.

28 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Is there any reason why Edinburgh looks so bad in this? It looks unfinished, it's really weird.

Also for Berlin being a city that they handcrafted for the update, how come the TV tower looks so terrible?

I'm finding weird things with this game. It's also not running nearly as well as it did when it was released for Xbox.

Edinburgh doesn’t have any photogrammetry: just don’t fly too low. I think Southampton is still the best reference city in the U.K.

Further to the above, I'd had a tough week at work, so over the weekend I treated myself to an MB-339:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aermacchi_MB-339

Felt weird buying an individual plane for nearly £20, but it's an absolute joy to fly - fast, agile, and very stable, with great visibility. It's not quite transformative, but allows you to play the game in a completely new way. Weaving in and out of canyons and under bridges is amazingly good fun - I had a go at the Mach Loop in Wales, which was properly hair-raising.

The speed is really remarkable. It tops out at about 500mph, which is not hugely faster than some of the passenger jets in the game, and presumably nowhere near as quick as the supersonic jets you can buy (which are apparently a bit wonky, as MFS2020 doesn't properly support going above Mach 1), but the combination of speed and agility makes for incredible fun. I managed to fly from Caernarfon to Lancaster just by following the coastline, which I'd never had the patience to do in the various light aircraft that come with the game. It stings a bit to pay £20 for a single DLC thing, and I feel the game should have come with a wider variety of planes, but it's absolutely loads of fun to throw around. I would recommend if you've got £20 to spare, and are up for showing the Clifton Suspension Bridge who's boss.

As a literal change of pace, the Ju-52 (which was supposed to be out last month with the Germany Update) came out yesterday. for 13 quid, it's a very comprehensive package, with a 1939 version, a modern refit, skis, floats, etc.

Only got a very short flight in with it last night (using the 1939 version) but it was lots of fun. The checklists to get the thing started are comprehensive and well done, and It's a proper event going through all the steps.

Very sprightly takeoff, Lovely relaxed flying, though I didn;t manage to land it neatly.

The only problem is a lack of proper 1930s style aerodromes to fly it from.

3 hours ago, Bluejam said:

Noob question - how does it run on an xbox series S?

seems a cheaper option than upgrading my pc!

Digital foundry to a deep dive on it here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-microsoft-flight-simulator-tech-review-a-brilliant-port-to-xbox-series-x-s

Short answer is: Very well. on a Series S you won;rt be getting the higest resolution and detail but the frame rates are very imprssive, and more reliable than the prettier series X settings.

Thanks for fetching that, @K. How did you find the in-plane view? The Typhoon lacked a little polish when I first got it, although maybe they've updated it now. It does make quite a difference to the range of things you can take in though, so perhaps I should be less worried about how it handles and just treat it as a fast camera.

19 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Thanks for fetching that, @K. How did you find the in-plane view? The Typhoon lacked a little polish when I first got it, although maybe they've updated it now. It does make quite a difference to the range of things you can take in though, so perhaps I should be less worried about how it handles and just treat it as a fast camera.

It looks great. I mean, I've never been inside a real MB-339, so I can't be certain, but it looks equivalent in quality to the stuff Asobo developed for the actual game. The instruments and controls seem to work; the mirrors at the side and top of the cockpit reflect the sun realistically; the cockpit glass is realistically scratched. Like a real military jet (I imagine) the visibility is fantastic, and it doesn't fall out of the sky if you turn it on its side so it's actually a bit easier for sightseeing than things like the various Cessnas.